Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Deluded Gerrard?

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Reporters are often asked if they were watching the same game as everyone else, but what was Steven Gerrard looking at on Saturday afternoon? "We caught Brighton where we knew we would catch them, which is in the transition down the side of the centre backs."

Leaving aside what that even means, they didn't, did they? Villa's goals where a well-placed shot following a poor clearance badly defended by a wing back, and a defender misjudging the flight of a long hoof. What did I miss?

Kazenga <3

Test 805843
Feb 28, 2010
Team c/r HQ
Trying to come across as cleverer than he is. He came out with a similarly dismissive statement in the reverse fixture about having controlled the game without the ball, when the reality was they hardly touched the thing and then nicked a late goal on the counter with virtually their first attack, before a jammy rebound from a corner made it a flattering two.

That said, he has won both fixtures by an aggregate score of 4-0, so he's clearly doing something right!

Eric Youngs Contact Lens

Dec 9, 2020
East Sussex
Agreed . I think Gerrard (but others too) has made these kind of comments before. Being dominated equates to " Happy to let them have the ball in certain areas" if the result goes your way still. He talked about it being a "perfect" away performance, which in terms of result it was, but without some wayward finishing from us it could easily have been a "frustrating afternoon. We can't give away goals like that and expect to win". I make you right.. Cash's goal was an excellent strike, but I still think we should defend the 1st cross better. The second was a horrible goal to concede and should have been cut out. To be fair to Gerard, he knows that we want to push full-backs forward and with two up-front, particularly Watkins that provides space to drag our back 2 (or 3 as I still maintain it was 1st half) about the place. But I think most teams can work that out. The most galling thing I read was the "superb pass from Mings" !!! Honestly, a percentage long ball they had played all day, badly misjudged by Veltman. The proverbial "fine lines" Mr P talks about..

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I think a lot of coaches talk a load of absolute b*ll*cks to justify their existence and make them appear to be clever. In reality they are as insecure and have a need to be wanted like the rest of us.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Don't know why posters are down on Gerrard over this.

He's been in the division for 15 (fifteen) league games.
Taken 6 of the easiest points available from Potter.
While never looking like conceding a shot on target - let alone any goals.

He can say what he damn well pleases he has the record to back it up.
That's one of the advantages of ...

...winning.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Don't forget Gerrard has come down to the PL, after leaving one of the power houses of Europe, so he knows what he's talking about.
Scottish porridge league to muesli:D

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
Reporters are often asked if they were watching the same game as everyone else, but what was Steven Gerrard looking at on Saturday afternoon? "We caught Brighton where we knew we would catch them, which is in the transition down the side of the centre backs."

Leaving aside what that even means, they didn't, did they? Villa's goals where a well-placed shot following a poor clearance badly defended by a wing back, and a defender misjudging the flight of a long hoof. What did I miss?
At a guess, he's referring to the amount of times Cash got through to attacking areas on the counter - i think most of their chances involved him in some way. It was probably their gameplan.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

The whys and wherefores are immaterial really, the fact is that they did win, and by a well deserved two goals to nil. We offered precisely nothing in return, with barely a shot on target in the entire game.

Lets worry more about what we do on the pitch, rather than what an opposing manager might think about us. Forget about it and move on, that's all that we can do now.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
It was the perfect away performance .... to a team which is dreadful in front of goal.

Otherwise, it would have been a 5-2 defeat

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Don't forget Gerrard has come down to the PL, after leaving one of the power houses of Europe, so he knows what he's talking about.
Scottish porridge league to muesli:D

Well regardless of where he has come from, he has taken 6 points off us with an aggregate score of 4-0. Not sure he'll be that bothered if we don't rate his CV.

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
Not really, he's beaten us both times. At no point did we look like winning, we held most of the ball, but we didnt dominate.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Don't know why posters are down on Gerrard over this.

He's been in the division for 15 (fifteen) league games.

He can say what he damn well pleases he has the record to back it up.
That's one of the advantages of ...

...winning.

Maybe people are just not as delighted as you... and also dont think two wins over Brighton makes you the best thing since toasted bread.

You were so sad and desperate after the Watford game.. I miss it.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I think a lot of coaches talk a load of absolute b*ll*cks to justify their existence and make them appear to be clever.

This is the model I use for my NSC posts, it works for me so why not Gerrard?

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
He is correct, both goals came through the channel between full back and centre back, admittedly after capitalising on our poor play.

One ball over the top and one which was partially cleared by us attempting and failing to transition.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

This is nonsense though, isn't it? Between them, Lamptey and march have got behind the full backs six or seven times in the game - more than their opposite numbers. If a manager wants to build up his part by pretending his plans had more effect than they really did, I fully understand that - why you'd seek to back it up, I'm less sure?

March has served up chances for MacAllister and Welbeck, that PL footballers should be putting away 8 times out of 10. Gerrard's 'plan' allowed those to happen. He takes no credit for our appalling finishing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here