Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Chelsea FC - should they be allowed to continue?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
It doesn’t seem like this Chelsea charity foundation trustees have agreed to run the club afterall.

A club who’s entire success is built upon a close contact and supporter of Putin - even before this conflict wealth of questionable origin and providence.

I would ban Chelsea from all competition immediately unless there is definitive proof he is not running them and all funds from Russia / Abramovich have been removed.

This conflict is bigger than whether football fans will be upset about it. It would send a huge message. The whole owning of Chelsea has been a slow process of Russian acceptability in the West.

Every peaceful option possible has to be taken.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
I believe it would be down to a vote by the league clubs to have them suspended.

Would enough clubs vote in favour? That's the debate.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Surport Local Team

Jan 5, 2011
Yes Chelsea should survive, and they will, just because they r in the non league or what ever, they still exist.

However since reading Chelsea shed end to see there view!!! Wow what a bunch off a** holes. General view is Romans alright and can't be bad!!!!! Hope my moral compass does not do that just for a few trophies!!!

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I believe it would be down to a vote by the league clubs to have them suspended.

Would enough clubs vote in favour? That's the debate.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

I was dreading them winning the cup today. Ukrainians under siege watching Abramovich’s play thing celebrating while they battle for their lives. Something has to be done. We can’t have all this talk of sanctions etc and Abramovitch’s most famously owned asset just carries on as normal. They’ve flouted financial rules time and time again, it’s time to get serious.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Can they not just do the FIFA thing and call themselves “Football Club of Chelsea” to get away with it?

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Yes Chelsea should survive, and they will, just because they r in the non league or what ever, they still exist.

However since reading Chelsea shed end to see there view!!! Wow what a bunch off a** holes. General view is Romans alright and can't be bad!!!!! Hope my moral compass does not do that just for a few trophies!!!

Of course they can survive, they make enough revenue etc without his funding putting them into the top 4, but they are a Champions League, Title winning, cup winning team BECAUSE of a Russian Putin supporting oligarch. Them winning anything is going to be dreadful for the message it sends.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
It doesn’t seem like this Chelsea charity foundation trustees have agreed to run the club afterall.

A club who’s entire success is built upon a close contact and supporter of Putin - even before this conflict wealth of questionable origin and providence.

I would ban Chelsea from all competition immediately unless there is definitive proof he is not running them and all funds from Russia / Abramovich have been removed.

This conflict is bigger than whether football fans will be upset about it. It would send a huge message. The whole owning of Chelsea has been a slow process of Russian acceptability in the West.

Every peaceful option possible has to be taken.

I disagree, it's not the clubs fault, just the owners.
Why should the fans suffer, because their club is owned by a fan of a maniac bent on world domination, seemingly so.

I know it's slightly left field, but when Belotti and Archer decided to screw our club over, it was the fans who suffered.

Chelsea have every right to keep going.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Why should the fans suffer, because their club is owned by a fan of a maniac bent on world domination, seemingly so.

I know it's slightly left field, but when Belotti and Archer decided to screw our club over, it was the fans who suffered.

Compared to what Ukrainians are going through, is football fans suffering that big a deal - really, in the great scheme of things?

I mean we have talk of sending troops, military hardware, harshest sanctions ever, but we can’t upset a few football fans?

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham

It won't happen and it's not directly the fans fault regarding who the owner is (although fans can remove an owner if they try hard enough). However, maybe the fans should suffer because they enjoyed 20 years of success built on funds stolen during the break up of the Soviet Union.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Compared to what Ukrainians are going through, is football fans suffering that big a deal - really, in the great scheme of things?

I mean we have talk of sending troops, military hardware, harshest sanctions ever, but we can’t upset a few football fans?

So if this was our club in a similar position, I cannot see the multitude being happy at sanctions being levied at our door, all because of a friend of a friend.
Yes it is a damn shame to what is happening to the Ukranians, but world politics shouldn't be layed at the door of a football club.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
So if this was our club in a similar position, I cannot see the multitude being happy at sanctions being levied at our door, all because of a friend of a friend.
Yes it is a damn shame to what is happening to the Ukranians, but world politics shouldn't be layed at the door of a football club.
If this was our club, I’d walk away. I’d feel very uncomfortable being part of a club linked to the Russian leader.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

I agree.

Also, how does 'sports washing' work with Abramovic exactly? He can't enter the UK, now. Everyone (apart from Chelsea fans) think he's a tedious rich nonentity at best. I thought sports washing was a means of spreading your doctrine or poplularity or commercial position by using club ownership to open doors that would otherwise be closed. Like that very popular former owner of Newcastle, and all the way back to that very popular Peter Swales at Citeh. (Sorry, I don't think sportswashing exists - rich owners on ego trips (or asset strip-trips as in the case of Archer), more like it. Or maybe they just like football :shrug: - turning blood money into negociable bonds through football ownership is not anything I have seen - but perhaps I'm naive; or maybe sports washing is simply an ill-chosen term for something else that eludes me)

And have we yet resolved whether his daughter tweeted in favour of Ukrain or not? If she did, she and the whole clan are likely to be on the Novichok list. Meaning Abramovic is hardly a supporter of Putin.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove

If he’s just a friend of a friend why is our and other governments freezing his assets? Come on, get real, Chelsea has been a sports washing money laundering exercise for years, right in our faces. How on earth can football not be involved in politicos? Maybe the CL final should still be in St Petersburg, Poland are wrong not to play their WC playoff with Russia, the FA are wrong to suspend all future matches against Russian teams.

It’s time to make a stand and everything should be on the table including football clubs.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
If this was our club, I’d walk away. I’d feel very uncomfortable being part of a club linked to the Russian leader.

I wouldn't.

Abramovich hasn't declared war on Ukraine, regardless of whether he is friends or close in any way to Putin.

Chelsea should be left be. No new Russian investment allowed.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Apart from beings nobs, slobs and (upper class) yobs, Chelski fans have done nothing wrong (poor taste is not yet a crime) so the club shouldn't be closed down. How to kick out Abramovich (without somebody paying him undeserved billions to set him up in with a luxurious lifetime in a free from extradtion country) I don't know.

Nationalisation? - but I don't want my taxes to be paying Chelski footballers millions of pounds a year! National minimum wage for players in nationalised teams ... ? If only!

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Yes the club should continue.

But all Abramovich bank accounts should be frozen - so I suspect no one can be paid anymore and the players will be free agents at some point when they don't get wages.

Probably won't be relegated this season even if they play amateur U21s.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I agree.

Also, how does 'sports washing' work with Abramovic exactly? He can't enter the UK, now. Everyone (apart from Chelsea fans) think he's a tedious rich nonentity at best. I thought sports washing was a means of spreading your doctrine or poplularity or commercial position by using club ownership to open doors that would otherwise be closed. Like that very popular former owner of Newcastle, and all the way back to that very popular Peter Swales at Citeh. (Sorry, I don't think sportswashing exists - rich owners on ego trips (or asset strip-trips as in the case of Archer), more like it. Or maybe they just like football :shrug: - turning blood money into negociable bonds through football ownership is not anything I have seen - but perhaps I'm naive; or maybe sports washing is simply an ill-chosen term for something else that eludes me)

And have we yet resolved whether his daughter tweeted in favour of Ukrain or not? If she did, she and the whole clan are likely to be on the Novichok list. Meaning Abramovic is hardly a supporter of Putin.

Russians have been courting acceptability and influence especially in the UK for years. Our hubris has been taking the money and thinking they’ll probably be more aligned to us, but it’s been an exercise all along. Deadly toxin state instructed assassinations on our own soil, annexation of Crimea, we’ve just sat back and let them get on with it and now it’s like the horses have bolted and we’re saying should we have had a better latch on the gate?

We have to hurt them now every which way possible. Mazepin and his son kicked out of F1, Abramovich kicked out of Chelsea, if it doesn’t happen, then suspend them from competition.

I’m with Mackenzie, if we were owned by a Russian oligarch with clear links to Putin and our government had them under sanctions I’d be gone. At the very least I’d want to protest in at least equal measure to we did with some of our previous owners.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here