Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The declining quality of my match day experience

Poppett63

Jul 16, 2011
A decade into Amex Stadium match days, I am slightly disappointed that some niggling issues haven’t ever been resolved and some areas this season, have been getting worse. I think it would be good for the club to re-evaluate some aspects to ensure it is a high quality experience.

Rail Travel - since we moved to Falmer, getting home from evening kick-offs has always been a struggle. So many times, Southern announce an enhanced service only for the extra coaches not to be added and cancellations aplenty. It really shouldn’t be too difficult, especially when they are being paid a lot of money. I believe that if I had an actual ticket rather than the BHA ticket, I could have claimed a refund on at least ten matches so far this season. In the main, the ease of travel (apart from evening games) used to be a plus about the Amex but last night, taking one and a half hours from leaving the concourse to getting home to Polegate is ridiculous.

Seats - Whilst applauding the desire to maximise the capacity of the stadium, our row of seats were all squashed up to get extras in during the closed season. The seats are all mounted close up together whereas they used to be at least 40mm apart on each side. Neighbouring rows haven’t been altered. The width of the seats is now almost on the legal minimum and it is not comfortable at all. We didn’t initially notice but since people have started coming back properly, it makes for a poor experience. So far, the club have just suggested that we move? I like sitting where we do with some really nice people. I hope that they can put it back to how it was, we can see on the mountings where they used to be which is how we know how much space has been lost.

Atmosphere - we really seem to have lost something, can we get it back?

Post match, we have always been encouraged to stay post match rather than join the queues of people who left five minutes early, waiting for trains. This season we have regularly been pushed along the concourse early, toilets have been closed and it has been much less welcoming. Do the club want us to stay or not? Happy if you want to reduce the areas but be clear in what you can provide.

We should be really enjoying this season but it takes the gloss off.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Well articulated, and it’s an interesting idea regarding the Rail aspect.

Unfortunately many people will simply dismiss your points as whinging because the club can do no wrong; and secondly, that’s the mindset seemingly of the club too, cloaked by essay length reasons of how well the Albion compare to other clubs and/or why it cannot be done.

Have you tried going to your local Non League side instead? ;)

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Give the non league scene a go for a couple of weeks. Far more enjoyable experience, more affordable, and no hastle getting to and from the game. It's brilliant. Also the money you save can then be spent in the pub on the way home! Win win.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Give the non league scene a go for a couple of weeks. Far more enjoyable experience, more affordable, and no hastle getting to and from the game. It's brilliant. Also the money you save can then be spent in the pub on the way home! Win win.

Even better become an armchair Chelsea or Liverpool fan and you’ll win a piece of silverware today from the comfort of your own home [emoji106]

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
I think we'll always find some sort of reason to moan...especially now we've got used to watching high class football in a superb stadium. It's easy to start to take things for granted. I have to say that I was getting mighty pissed off by the traffic yesterday (post match, that is - I avoided the pre-match issues, thank God). Then I think back to the "delights" of Priestfield and Withdean - and even the Goldstone.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
A decade into Amex Stadium match days, I am slightly disappointed that some niggling issues haven’t ever been resolved and some areas this season, have been getting worse. I think it would be good for the club to re-evaluate some aspects to ensure it is a high quality experience.

Rail Travel - since we moved to Falmer, getting home from evening kick-offs has always been a struggle. So many times, Southern announce an enhanced service only for the extra coaches not to be added and cancellations aplenty. It really shouldn’t be too difficult, especially when they are being paid a lot of money. I believe that if I had an actual ticket rather than the BHA ticket, I could have claimed a refund on at least ten matches so far this season. In the main, the ease of travel (apart from evening games) used to be a plus about the Amex but last night, taking one and a half hours from leaving the concourse to getting home to Polegate is ridiculous.

Seats - Whilst applauding the desire to maximise the capacity of the stadium, our row of seats were all squashed up to get extras in during the closed season. The seats are all mounted close up together whereas they used to be at least 40mm apart on each side. Neighbouring rows haven’t been altered. The width of the seats is now almost on the legal minimum and it is not comfortable at all. We didn’t initially notice but since people have started coming back properly, it makes for a poor experience. So far, the club have just suggested that we move? I like sitting where we do with some really nice people. I hope that they can put it back to how it was, we can see on the mountings where they used to be which is how we know how much space has been lost.

Atmosphere - we really seem to have lost something, can we get it back?

Post match, we have always been encouraged to stay post match rather than join the queues of people who left five minutes early, waiting for trains. This season we have regularly been pushed along the concourse early, toilets have been closed and it has been much less welcoming. Do the club want us to stay or not? Happy if you want to reduce the areas but be clear in what you can provide.

We should be really enjoying this season but it takes the gloss off.

I think the club have little to no say with the rail situation, how many coaches that Southern put on etc, the club are probably as frustrated about it as you are! I don't travel to games by train so l can't really comment.

I take your point about the seats though, l've been lucky, my seat in W1G has been untouched and my seat number remains the same, it can't be nice all being squashed up together though, and one of the beauties about the Amex when it was built, was the overal comfort and extra room that we seemed to have.

I think the general atmosphere is largely based on what happens on the pitch, and no home victory since Boxing Day has a lot to do with things seemingly feeling very flat at the moment.

I'm sure that the major reason that the club haven't gone out of it's way to encourage fans to remain on concourses post games, is the Covid situation. Pre vaccines especially, the crowded concourses were an absolute health hazard. Things should quickly improve now.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Even better become an armchair Chelsea or Liverpool fan and you’ll win a piece of silverware today from the comfort of your own home [emoji106]

Wouldn't ever give Sky or BT my money as I prefer seeing football live, hence my switch to the local scene. Best of all - football regularly on Saturdays!

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

This. Or simply do what l often do, continue to watch the Albion when they play at home on a Saturday with a 3pm kick-off, (doesn't often happen), and watch your local non-league side when the fixtures don't clash.

Best of both worlds.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
This. Or simply do what l often do, continue to watch the Albion when they play at home on a Saturday with a 3pm kick-off, (doesn't often happen), and watch your local non-league side when the fixtures don't clash.

Best of both worlds.

I do too now, and will still get to a few games a season but my priority is Saturdays with Shoreham then the Albion when it's convenient. Last went on Boxing Day when the family had all gone home and had a decent evening out. We won too!

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I do too now, and will still get to a few games a season but my priority is Saturdays with Shoreham then the Albion when it's convenient. Last went on Boxing Day when the family had all gone home and had a decent evening out. We won too!

Good on you. just wish I could say that Horsham YMCA were winning a few more games!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Engineering works have been the biggest bug bear with regard to rail travel. Pretty much every away game this season has been affected and this coming week there are engineering works between York and Doncaster!!

Yesterday we needed to get back to Lewes and trains were delayed. I think at least 4 trains arrived heading west before the first one heading east. Not sure what the problem was or whether the delayed kick off affected the 'enhanced' service.

The atmosphere isn't great but then I suspect that is down to what is happening on the pitch. We play smart football but for most of the time it's not scintillating to watch. As for post match, Cowfold Seagull has probably hit the nail on the head.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Only aspect of my matchday experience that has declined massively is spending quality time with my Albion loved ones on the concourse. So many no longer attend, either due to covid worries or financial constraints. As for transport, I find it no better or worse than it ever was. Same major pain in the arze it always was for evening games, which accounts for most of our homes games nowadays. Or maybe we just all got older...

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
It’s the trains that are a huge issue for me. For every home match I use them and take advantage of subsidised travel. I make sure that I have left home in plenty of time to allow for potential train disruption and cancellation. Which these days is an absolute given. On two recent occasions I have been told that my ticket is invalid because I am travelling too early and should not be on a train more than 3 hours before kick off. Once I was forced along with a few others to pay for my journey at Brighton station. The second time I was let off. Yesterday we sat on a train that couldn’t leave for Falmer due to a safety issue. If kick off hadn’t been delayed we would have missed 20 minutes of the match. Once on a train you can barely move due to lack of carriages. I know this has been said before but I do believe people are wondering more if it’s worth the effort.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011

I have in last few years been to Whitehawk, Haywards Heath, Hassocks,Burgess Hill,Bognor Lewis and Worthing. Went with friends and enjoyed but please no comparison to going to watch Albion. I am sure all those who have turned to non league live nearby to your local club and therefore have some affinity with club but certainly not for the neutral for a football experience.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003

Best of both worlds.

Or in the last two cases.....lose lose

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
I have in last few years been to Whitehawk, Haywards Heath, Hassocks,Burgess Hill,Bognor Lewis and Worthing. Went with friends and enjoyed but please no comparison to going to watch Albion. I am sure all those who have turned to non league live nearby to your local club and therefore have some affinity with club but certainly not for the neutral for a football experience.

Agreed, but most of us have a 'true' local team within a couple of miles of their home. I enjoy the walk and then the trip via the pub on the way home. For several people I know who have followed suit in the last few years have said they just feel the Prem is becoming too expensive a day out which I suspect may be a contributing factor in the future with Inflation, and energy price increases.

As others have said money is tighter now than it ever has been and football is still a 'luxury item' especially at Prem level. I didn't drop it for financial reasons but more that I just wasn't enjoying the corporate 'customer' experience anymore. I still love the club but prefer a regular footy fix on a Saturday supporting real locals playing for their real local team.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Quite a few complainants on here just seem to want to watch football with the least amount of hassle and expense. That’s not what being an Albion fan gets you!

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Quite a few complainants on here just seem to want to watch football with the least amount of hassle and expense. That’s not what being an Albion fan gets you!

Supporting Albion for the past 40 odd years has never been hassle free, three long seasons of trekking to Gillingham and returning with no points being amongst them. :albion2:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here