Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Are we on the cusp of a cusp?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
There have been a couple of 'why oh why? threads after the third defeat in a row, and some detailed analysis by [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] illustrating all* of the aspects of our results that are inferior to the results under Hughton. This does not, of course, include the clubs superior points tally. But points don't translate to wins and entertainment. This is fomenting understandable consternation.

Now, the people who were calling for Potter's head a year or more ago (I won't name them, we all know who they were) have fallen silent, some disappearing off the face of NSC. So those pointing the finger now are sensible eloquent folk in the main (apart from the hysterical thread starters who pop up from nowhere, like cheeky shiitake after rain in the woods).

So....I am worried that I'm on the cusp of being worried.

Now, I know nothing about football, its tactics and strategy, its xG, and the difference between the Wolfgang Presse and "Attack, attack, attack!". Thus, I am now in a quandry. Recently I thought I had been watching the finest footballs known to humanity under Potter. The come back at Anfield, for example. Stirring stuff. All the talk was of whether we could fend off £50 million bids for Bissouma and Lamptey during the Christmas window. Would Mancherster United or Spurs snaffle our manager? Heady stuff.

But...but...hold on....now after 3 defeats Potter is being accused of creating a myth, the King's New Clothes! We have, apparently been sleepwalking into doom with a clueless boss who can't change things around and makes all the wrong calls. He has been lucky to accumulate all those points while failing to bring us wins and excitement. And all that when gifted with our best squad ever. There are pages of detailed critique on how time and time again Potter fails to match up to the legend that was Chris Houghton.

So....I'm confused. If Potter is this poor, we need to ensure we have a replacement lined up for when we sack him after the last game of the season. Someone who can deliver wins and excitement, not simply points and mid table mediocrity. I'm looking forward to a 'who should be our new manager thread' appearing later. I may even start it myself.

I expect us to finish about 13th this season. Coincidentally this will match our best ever season which was exactly 40 years ago. I paste the final table below.

1981 2.JPG

Despite the finish that season the supporters were crying out for entertainment. At the start of the following season, when the results were not matching those of the previous season, the manager went, to be replaced by someone designed to bring a bit of white-shoed shiney-headed glamour and pizzazz to the club, and a charge for the cup.

Now, in the age of instant pop-up opinions, the pressure to make a change is palpable. I wonder, therefore whether Mr Bloom is as confused as me. Should I get behind the team or should I join the Potter OUT contingent? Should I be grateful for the possibility of our highest ever league position, or angry with the limp lettuce recent performances and Potter's annoying demeanour. Should I be comforted by the MOTD comment last night by Shearer that we are 'still punching above our weight', or outraged that we are still little ole Brightan with a need to sack the manager in order to push on.

This may read like a tongue in cheek post but I am genuinely confused about which way to jump. The constant sniping suggests to me that there is something intrinsically wrong with Potter, and yet all I see is a season of tremendous performances and hope, punctuated by a recent run of shittiness. My head says Potter is the man but my gut is now saying 'not good enough, get rid'. I think I need some good advice from people who know far more about football than me.

*Edit: only at home. Apologies

Last edited:

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
We struggle at home to teams who come to shut us down rather than sides such as Chelsea and Brentford who take us on at football. That's why we have tended to do better away from home where almost all the opponents play a more open game. That was true last season and nothing much has changed.

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
We are doing ok an will get something this weekend. Potter can be a bit dour for me but has done a great job. The performances away at Anfield and Chelsea were unbelievable. Incredible to think that we played better than those two clubs on THEIR patch. Yes I knew we would lose yesterday as we haven't progressed enough not to but we'll turn it back around. Potter in and we're lucky to have a man of his class.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I do wonder if we’ve been found out a bit, teams know if they press us high and get men behind the ball we’ll struggle to do much more than pass it around the back four and then will give it away somewhere dangerous.

That doesn’t mean a need to panic, but we do need to think about doing things differently at times. I expect Potter to be able to do this.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I do wonder if we’ve been found out a bit, trams know if they press us high and get men behind the ball we’ll struggle to do much more than pass it around the back four and then will give it away somewhere dangerous.

We need to de-rail that kind of thinking

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
The build up play is so slow and ponderous that we always allow 11 men To get behind the ball. Space becomes a premium and we find it hard to score. All very well having the ball for long periods.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Bielsa and Leeds are a prime example of the constant state of FLUX in the EPL. AS our own nekkid emperor once said 'You're never as good or as bad as they say you are'. All that gushing praise for Bielsa now just seems like so much guff. Ditto Potter. In both cases, tho the buck stops with the coach, their fate ultimately lies in the hands - and feet - of the players at their disposal. It is what it is. Until it isn't. Or something.

Dolph Ins

May 26, 2014
Mid Sussex
I suspect we are not as good as we thought we were but neither are we as bad as some are now saying (apart from Burnley match).Potter does not have a huge amount of Prem experiance yet and is still learning. Has he plateaued or is he still improving I don't know and how long do we give him? I certainly think it is too early to panic and a couple of good results and all (mostly) will be forgotten.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
I do wonder if we’ve been found out a bit, trams know if they press us high and get men behind the ball we’ll struggle to do much more than pass it around the back four and then will give it away somewhere dangerous.

That doesn’t mean a need to panic, but we do need to think about doing things differently at times. I expect Potter to be able to do this.

This.
Specifically if cucurella and Lamptey are kept in check, we are predictable and slow.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
There have been a couple of 'why oh why? threads after the third defeat in a row, and some detailed analysis by [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] illustrating all of the aspects of our results that are inferior to the results under Hughton.

That's very kind, but they don't. They merely show that we won more and scored more at home.

Just as one should never be revisionist about Hughton keeping up a poor squad, so we should not forget the endless threads from loyal away fans bemoaning our lack of ambition on the road under CH.

And points wise Potter is fractionally ahead.

That said, the last two games have had a lot of similarity with the Bournemouth and Cardiff double home header under CH and we need to arrest the slump quickly. That means having Webbo back ASAP.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
i don't understand why Caciedo hasn't been given a run ....good enough to play against Brazil and Argentina but not good enough to play against Villa or Burnley ......really.

i think we may be on the verge of a cusp BTW

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
FFS we are only 10th in the Premier League and have lost two games on the bounce, clearly time for Potter to be shown the door.

NB: Marcelo Bielsa will soon be available, we'll see some exciting football then!

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
But what did we used to call it at the Goldstone before bipolar disorder had been diagnosed ???

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
I know what you mean H and agree 12/13 is our most likely finishing position but you never know with this team - and GP. I’m very much pro GP and just hope he can work it out. Agree with Sydney though re surprise on the non-inclusion of Caicedo yet - it did seem a little surprising yesterday that DW was the only substitution

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
FFS we are only 10th in the Premier League and have lost two games on the bounce, clearly time for Potter to be shown the door.

NB: Marcelo Bielsa will soon be available, we'll see some exciting football then!

That's not really what people are saying. Well, some people are saying Potter out but they've largely been saying it since Day 1.

People are rightly questioning the alarming slump in form. It's three losses on the bounce now with no real signs of improvement.

Potter very much in (and f**k no to Bielsa regardless) but our home form is dismal. Absolutely dismal.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
I do wonder if we’ve been found out a bit, teams know if they press us high and get men behind the ball we’ll struggle to do much more than pass it around the back four and then will give it away somewhere dangerous.

Agreed.
If you always do what you've always done ........

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here