Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Barn Door

Prettyboyshaw

Feb 20, 2004
Saltdean
Who is the attacking coach? Whoever it is needs to be sacked because we are utter dog shite at getting shots on target. Week in week out we have loads of efforts but hardly any on target. Its been going on season after season. Defenders don't chip in enough, midfielders should be getting way more and the strikers seem better suited for rugby conversions. Yes the players are ultimately responsible but the coach must take a fair bit of the blame. Anyone else who was in charge of staff in a work place that performed their job so badly would be down the job center.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Who is the attacking coach? Whoever it is needs to be sacked because we are utter dog shite at getting shots on target. Week in week out we have loads of efforts but hardly any on target. Its been going on season after season. Defenders don't chip in enough, midfielders should be getting way more and the strikers seem better suited for rugby conversions. Yes the players are ultimately responsible but the coach must take a fair bit of the blame. Anyone else who was in charge of staff in a work place that performed their job so badly would be down the job center.

Bruno.

Prettyboyshaw

Feb 20, 2004
Saltdean

Really!! The man is a legend but what was the thinking behind giving him that job :facepalm: Its pretty obvious after several season off blazing high and wide we need better qualified in that role rather than give him a job because he's a top bloke.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Not Bruno - he's part of the Youth Development team - or at least has been until very recently, so not responsible for the barn-door tendency.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Seemed to me that apart from Welbeck’s terrible header and Ali Mac’s snatched and rubbish shot that we wanted to walk the ball into the net. The lack of confidence in front of goal is a real worry now. Too many players hiding. I fear we are going to see a very smug Eddie next weekend, struggling to see us getting anything :down:

GP has a very tough job turning around this dreadful paucity in front of goal, I am back to not seeing where our next point is coming from.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Danny Welbeck does not need coaching to learn how to score a goal. Maupay too is experienced and has scored plenty in his time. So why is it not happening? And why do our defenders suddenly look uncertain?

You can point to Burn’s departure , but he spent plenty of time on the bench prior to Dunk’s injury. I believe him to be a force in the dressing room but that does not explain our sudden dip in form . Something has changed, but what?
I don’t know, but it is up to GP and his staff to find out and reverse things ....quickly!

DFL JCL

Jan 8, 2016
Potter definitely said that Bruno looks after the attacking side of things in a press conference recently.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

My God you're tiresome.

As if making the Ukraine thread all about yourself isn't bad enough you've thrown in a "joke" about an Albion legend in the middle of the night just to stir the pot.

How's the maths revision coming along?

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Potter definitely said that Bruno looks after the attacking side of things in a press conference recently.

It wasn’t Potter it was Bjorn I think prior to the Leicester game (maybe Billy Reid)

It was however specific to the warm up before the game that Bruno sorts out the attacking drills and Bjorn the defensive ones before the game.

I don’t think it was about on the training ground.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Yes it’s true. Last couple of months Billy Reid said Bruno is responsible for attacking play from a coaching perspective … few need to lay off Swanny and take their blinkers off

‘Speaking to the press on Friday, Reid said: "Graham will be linked up at home on Sunday. He had a rough last night and tested positive this morning.

"I was a manager in Scotland so I know what to expect. Nothing will change too much, we'll try and keep things normal.

"Myself and Graham deal with the team. Bruno deals with attacking stuff and Bjorn [Hamberg] the defensive stuff. It's absolutely a collaborative effort."

Last edited:

Recidivist

Apr 28, 2019
Worthing
Danny Welbeck does not need coaching to learn how to score a goal. Maupay too is experienced and has scored plenty in his time. So why is it not happening? And why do our defenders suddenly look uncertain?

You can point to Burn’s departure , but he spent plenty of time on the bench prior to Dunk’s injury. I believe him to be a force in the dressing room but that does not explain our sudden dip in form . Something has changed, but what?
I don’t know, but it is up to GP and his staff to find out and reverse things ....quickly!

I don’t think much has changed. We’ve been poor in front of goal all season (and for several seasons post-Glenn) and our home form has been dreadful for a long time.

Our current position flatters us as we could easily have lost several (many?) of the draws we’ve accumulated this season.

Difficult to think of many games where we’ve battered teams but come away with nothing, unlike last season.

Obviously injuries haven’t helped but I’m inclined to think that the players have decided we’re safe and their form has dropped accordingly across the board.

Maybe their bonuses should be structured to reflect the (actual) attendance at home games!?

Many more performances like Burnley/Villa is likely to see a steep decline in attendance and I find it very worrying that Potter & Dunk seemed to think that the Villa performance was fine….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm not entirely sure why posters think the coach is the problem.

Maupay - not a main striker.
Welbeck - not fit enough to be a striker.
Trossard - hit and miss in every sense.

Lallana - miss wide.
Moder - miss softly.
Jocko - miss high.
Biss - miss high.
March - doesn't shoot so can't miss.
Groß - the assist man.

This season our main striker thread is Webster, following in the boots of Dunk and previously Duffy.

We don't need a striker coach with a record of more than one goal a season.

We need strikers.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I don’t think much has changed. We’ve been poor in front of goal all season (and for several seasons post-Glenn) and our home form has been dreadful for a long time.

Our current position flatters us as we could easily have lost several (many?) of the draws we’ve accumulated this season.

Difficult to think of many games where we’ve battered teams but come away with nothing (only Newcastle springs to mind), unlike last season.

Obviously injuries haven’t helped but I’m inclined to think that the players have decided we’re safe and their form has dropped accordingly across the board.

Maybe their bonuses should be structured to reflect the (actual) attendance at home games!?

Many more performances like Burnley/Villa is likely to see a steep decline in attendance and I find it very worrying that Potter & Dunk seemed to think that the Villa performance was fine….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was a bit concerned too when I saw that Potter was happy with the performance against Villa. It was a notch above the Burnley effort. Since Burnley was abysmal, Villa was poor. I thought the Villa ref was poor too and allowed Villa to get away with too much. He wasn't even going to book Cash for his shirt off goal celebration till someone had a word in his ear before we restarted. But on topic, our shooting and heading is dreadful, just a complete lack of composure. The 5 goals from Villa and Burnley absolutely showed what we rarely do - head over the ball, follow through for a decent shot on target. How do we not manage to do the same?

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I'm not entirely sure why posters think the coach is the problem.

Maupay - not a main striker.
Welbeck - not fit enough to be a striker.
Trossard - hit and miss in every sense.

Lallana - miss wide.
Moder - miss softly.
Jocko - miss high.
Biss - miss high.
March - doesn't shoot so can't miss.
Groß - the assist man.

This season our main striker thread is Webster, following in the boots of Dunk and previously Duffy.

We don't need a striker coach with a record of more than one goal a season.

We need strikers.

Pretty much sums it up!

Maupay is an opportunistic striker. Give him any time on the ball and he'll make a total pigs ear of it.
Trossard show snatches of genius but would rather be Messi-like and Mbappe-like. At the moment he's just wandering about outside the box.
Welbeck, as you say, is class, but he's patched together with sellotape.

But hey, this is all a relatively recent problem. Until the last few weeks the club has always had a good striker in his prime on its books.

(that last line was a joke)

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Surely this isn’t so much an ‘attacking coach’ problem as it is a ‘strikers coach’ issue?

Whoever it is, they need a complete rethink, to instil some directness into the attack. Both Burnley and Villa showed us how it pays dividends. We nearly always get forced out wide and end up relying on a ball in from the flanks that is usually easily dealt with

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Not Bruno - he's part of the Youth Development team - or at least has been until very recently, so not responsible for the barn-door tendency.

He’s never been part of the youth development team and yes he is the attacking coach. There was an interview when Bjorn was standing in for Graham, as GP have covid, and Bjorn said it then.

Last edited:

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
My God you're tiresome.

As if making the Ukraine thread all about yourself isn't bad enough you've thrown in a "joke" about an Albion legend in the middle of the night just to stir the pot.

How's the maths revision coming along?

He’s right though

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
Teams come at us more when they are at home and sit back and counter when we are at home. Hence why we do better away from home as we are able to exploit the space. A more natural out and out striker would probably help in both scenarios as we don't really have one currently

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here