Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Worst VAR decision ever?

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
Just been discussing this with a friend. One of the most blatant handballs. Even moves his arm to the ball to help control it. Shocking decision.

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
Just shows how truly appalling some of the officials are in terms of their decisions(the on field ref and the VAR guy involved are two of the worst but there are many poor ones in the PL). Outrageous decision - why on earth VAR can’t decide that is beyond everyone I suspect

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
It wasn’t a handball or penalty because after reviewing VAR, Richarlison was offside first so that therefore made the attack void

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
Nah. The worst was the Sheffield United goal that never was, a decision that ultimately relegated Bournemouth instead of Villa. There's a whole Sliding Doors style alternative reality if the GDS or VAR had worked as they should at that moment.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
It wasn’t a handball or penalty because after reviewing VAR, Richarlison was offside first so that therefore made the attack void

That's not what the current Sky sports report says. It mentions that Lampard did ask the officials if there was any offside in the build up and the officials said ' No '.

So unless there's been some backtracking by the officials I think we can return to agreeing it's one of the most obvious hand balls you will ever see. Arm is in an unnatural position and he clearly moves to control the ball with it.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Pfui. Can't get too upset about that.

However, where are all the 'get rid of VAR' merchants? Let the game flow, take the rough with the smooth?

Or is this a false flag anti VAR thread: "See - VAR got it wrong - get rid of VAR!"

Perhaps we shall never know.....:shrug:

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Oh those with short memories, Southampton given a penalty at the Amex by VAR when the foul was clearly outside the area.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
That's not what the current Sky sports report says. It mentions that Lampard did ask the officials if there was any offside in the build up and the officials said ' No '.

So unless there's been some backtracking by the officials I think we can return to agreeing it's one of the most obvious hand balls you will ever see. Arm is in an unnatural position and he clearly moves to control the ball with it.

Freeze framing the video, Richarlison does look like he is offside mind. It has to be that. I can't see any other reason for not giving it.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Freeze framing the video, Richarlison does look like he is offside mind. It has to be that. I can't see any other reason for not giving it.

Fair comment but they would still need to have given that as the stated reason at the time and I've not read anything like that. You can't belatedly suggest that ultimately they were right to not give it as they missed something else

tronnogull

May 17, 2010
I was going to agree with you, but then you mentioned drums...

Well, drums are a long long way behind VAR but I really hate the continuous bang bang bang which pounds on regardless of what is happening on the pitch. ( I'm completely fine with fans banging on walls and structures when they are chanting, as has always happened....)

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Decision favoured a top six side, where is the issue here?

Brok

Bork. I meant Bork.
Dec 26, 2011
Well, drums are a long long way behind VAR but I really hate the continuous bang bang bang which pounds on regardless of what is happening on the pitch. ( I'm completely fine with fans banging on walls and structures when they are chanting, as has always happened....)

Drums are bad, but not as bad as....

:vuvu: :vuvu:

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Pfui. Can't get too upset about that.

However, where are all the 'get rid of VAR' merchants? Let the game flow, take the rough with the smooth?

Or is this a false flag anti VAR thread: "See - VAR got it wrong - get rid of VAR!"

Perhaps we shall never know.....:shrug:

I would happily accept no VAR and take the rough with the smooth. However this new technology has been sold to us as making decisions ‘correct.’ I’m not inclined to take the rough with the smooth under those circumstances. Everton were robbed.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
If there’s a worse one I don’t remember it. Shocking decision which shines a light on the ineptness of English referees. No blame on the on pitch ref but no excuses for the chump on VAR duty.

I watch a lot of italian and Spanish top flight football and imo the Prem refs are uniquely bad. Since they are nearly all very bad it must be down to the training and direction they get.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here