Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Reasons to be cheerful….

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Found out today that David Byrne, he of Talking Heads and all round force for good, runs a news website called Reasons To Be Cheerful. Where good news is reported.
Not sentimental “cat up a tree” stuff but reports of people making the world better, finding solutions etc.

Very enlightening, I thought. And much needed in these times of news media scaring the pants off everyone.

https://reasonstobecheerful.world/about/

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Although I applaud the sentiment and I'm a big fan of Mr Byrne, do you think there's a danger of such sites encouraging people to bury their heads in the sand? There is so much going on, not least the actual undermining of democracy in this country. It might make you feel slightly more optimistic about the future, but a lot of people don't even realise how bad things are and how they are likely to get even worse. It's unbeleivable how unaware most people are. As John Lydon once said: "The trouble with this country is it's like Blue Peter, everyone is happy-clappy, pretending everything is all right - it's not, it's really not."

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Although I applaud the sentiment and I'm a big fan of Mr Byrne, do you think there's a danger of such sites encouraging people to bury their heads in the sand? There is so much going on, not least the actual undermining of democracy in this country. It might make you feel slightly more optimistic about the future, but a lot of people don't even realise how bad things are and how they are likely to get even worse. It's unbeleivable how unaware most people are. As John Lydon once said: "The trouble with this country is it's like Blue Peter, everyone is happy-clappy, pretending everything is all right - it's not, it's really not."

No, I respectfully disagree. It’s important to remind ourselves that there is life beyond Johnson, Trump, Putin etc.
There are people working for good. This site reminds me a bit of what NatGeo used to be before Murdoch got his hands on it.

Additionally, I think people who follow David Byrne are unlikely to be naive to world events.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
This site reminds me a bit of what NatGeo used to be before Murdoch got his hands on it.

Everything is better until Murdoch gets his hands on it.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
That's a good point.

I think you are right though that swathes of this country think everything is A-Okay and it’s simply not. However, cuts and taxes are going to start to be noticed by many. This might prompt people to look a little closer at those they hand power to.

Maybe.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
I need threads like this. My anxiety level are through the roof. I avoid all news channels, be they on tele, online etc. I also am very selective on what NSC threads I read (avoiding the ones likely to trigger me). I've had enough of the doom. More joy please!

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I think you are right though that swathes of this country think everything is A-Okay and it’s simply not. However, cuts and taxes are going to start to be noticed by many. This might prompt people to look a little closer at those they hand power to.

Maybe.

Let's hope so - but there's so much going on, eg politicising the civil service and electoral commission, voter disenfanchisement, banning the right to protest, attempts to clamp down on media dissent. Democracy in its true sense is under serious threat.

Last edited:

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
Let's hope so - but there's so much going on, eg politicising the civil service and electoral commission, voter disenfanchisement, banning the right to protest. Democracy in its true sense is under serious threat.

Read my post. Then, kindly, do one.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I need threads like this. My anxiety level are through the roof. I avoid all news channels, be they on tele, online etc. I also am very selective on what NSC threads I read (avoiding the ones likely to trigger me). I've had enough of the doom. More joy please!

Sorry to hear that. I hope Reasons to be cheerful helps. Always good to read positive news. And hope your anxiety settles. Mad times but there is good out there :)

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

I have suffered, still do sometimes, with anxiety. Everyone is different but here’s some of the things I do to counter it.
I do puzzles and crosswords, easy ones (my level!). I buy the mini Take a Break books. Arrow words and suchlike. Take my mind right off my troubles. It’s hard to think of anything else when trying to solve puzzles.

Exercise, walking on the Downs, climbing wall, gym etc. All help to elevate my seratonin and concentrate on positive things.

I watch or read news just once a day. And then only if I feel like it.

Meeting mates. It’s easy to let things slide with work and commitments but a meet up with friends at football or for a meal or just a coffee. Works wonders I think.

They all sound a bit obvious but sometimes we need reminding. Hope that helps a bit.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
walking on the Downs

This is my 'therapy' (if that's how you want to describe it). I can't overstate what a boost to the soul a long, beautiful country walk is (particularly if there's a great country pub at the end of it!).

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
This is my 'therapy' (if that's how you want to describe it). I can't overstate what a boost to the soul a long, beautiful country walk is (particularly if there's a great country pub at the end of it!).

Absolutely. Walking in Sussex dragged me out of a huge slump when I lost family members. I have walked since I was a child and it’s still my go to “escape”.

el punal

When I’m feeling a bit low I take this lovely lady for a walk, have a chat, she agrees with everything I say and never answers back! :kiss:

5F0D61CD-340A-4ED6-A764-CB921CAD6C95.jpeg

MTSeagulls

Sep 18, 2019
A while ago I was going to ask on here if anyone knew about a 'good news' site.
I like watching Sky News as it's pretty much the only live english speaking channel I can get, but for goodness sake, for two years or more it's been Covid, global warming, Trump, Bolsonaro, women being murdered, knife crime in London, party gate and now war in Ukraine.
I don't know if this site is the answer but it's a start.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here