Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] 'Big' Central strikers

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
After many years of watching 'Big hold 'em up and bang 'em away central strikers' is their time up and is it temporary ?

I thought Lukaku would be a great signing for Chelski but he seems to be struggling.
Much as I loved Glenn, would he really work in the teams we are putting out at the moment ?
Kane seems to spend more time dropping deep to link play than he does 'holding it up'.
While the two most successful teams City and Liverpool don't bother with a 'Big' striker any more

Is the 'Big' striker's time over, and if so, is it temporary or permanent :shrug:

And I say this is a person whose greatest hero to this day is Alex Dawson :wink:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
In the age of pressing and pass and move anyone holding the ball up is slowing the team down and a sitting target for dispossession these days. It’s very easy to read as well.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Early incarnation Glenn would have fitted perfectly

Much as I love Glenn he was never the quickest and I think even the Withdean Glenn may have struggled the way (normally, not Burnley) the front three or two or one are expected to work these days.

Bit like the way I used to love the Goldstone but it was never close to the Amex except in rose tinted glasses :wink:

Last edited:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
GP played with big strikers all the time before coming to Brighton and I imagine he would much want one but the good ones are few and far between, you need so much more than just size these days.

GP would often have (in the last few years) Östersunds Alhaji Gero or Oliver McBurnie in Swansea play on the wing. As full/wing backs are (more often than not) small, the opponent would eventually pull one of ther central defenders to help out whenever there was a chance of a long ball, and Östersund and to some Swansea would then attack in the gap in the middle. Expect the club to sign a striker in the summer and would be happy if it was one with aerial strength.

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006
After many years of watching 'Big hold 'em up and bang 'em away central strikers' is their time up and is it temporary ?

I thought Lukaku would be a great signing for Chelski but he seems to be struggling.
Much as I loved Glenn, would he really work in the teams we are putting out at the moment ?
Kane seems to spend more time dropping deep to link play than he does 'holding it up'.
While the two most successful teams City and Liverpool don't bother with a 'Big' striker any more

Is the 'Big' striker's time over, and if so, is it temporary or permanent :shrug:

And I say this is a person whose greatest hero to this day is Alex Dawson :wink:

Victor Osimhen at Napoli Oh to have that lad leading our line

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I think we could get significantly more out of Lukaku that Chelsea do. Maybe they can lend him to us FOC for a couple of months, just to get him match sharp.

el punal

Much as I love Glenn he was never the quickest and I think even the Withdean Glenn may have struggled the way (normally, not Burnley) the front three or two or one are expected to work these days.

Bit like the way I used to love the Goldstone but it was never close to the Amex except in rose tinted glasses :wink:

The Goldstone was a dump, but it was our dump. The best games, the ones with all the atmosphere, were evening matches played in front of a full house. Saturday games tended to be, well, a lot less exciting in comparison. All seen through non-rose tinted glasses. :D

Frankworthington

Jul 17, 2019
South Shields
The Goldstone was a dump, but it was our dump. The best games, the ones with all the atmosphere, were evening matches played in front of a full house. Saturday games tended to be, well, a lot less exciting in comparison. All seen through non-rose tinted glasses. :D

The evening game against Liverpool in 1983 at the Goldstone is probably my most memorable Albion game

Despite us throwing away a two goal lead!

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
GP played with big strikers all the time before coming to Brighton and I imagine he would much want one but the good ones are few and far between, you need so much more than just size these days.

GP would often have (in the last few years) Östersunds Alhaji Gero or Oliver McBurnie in Swansea play on the wing. As full/wing backs are (more often than not) small, the opponent would eventually pull one of ther central defenders to help out whenever there was a chance of a long ball, and Östersund and to some Swansea would then attack in the gap in the middle. Expect the club to sign a striker in the summer and would be happy if it was one with aerial strength.

Cyle Larin is the goal scoring record holder for Canada. He is astonishing in the air. He plays mostly on the left wing and cuts in to the middle like you describe for Berserkers. He is a free agent in the summer. I want him, you want him, let’s do this.

el punal

The evening game against Liverpool in 1983 at the Goldstone is probably my most memorable Albion game

Despite us throwing away a two goal lead!

Adding to that, how about these that I was lucky enough to see :

Wolves (FL Cup) 1969. Lost 2-3 Att.32,000

Rotherham (Div.3) 1972. Won 2-1 Att.28,000

Rochdale (Div.3) 1972. Draw 1-1 Att.34,000

Palace (Div.3) 1976. Won 2-0 Att.33,600

Derby (FL Cup) 1976 Draw 1-1 Att.33,500

Sheffield Wednesday 1977 Won 3-2 Att.31,000

Probably a load more but not with the humongous crowds of 30,000+. :albion2:

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
I think we could get significantly more out of Lukaku that Chelsea do. Maybe they can lend him to us FOC for a couple of months, just to get him match sharp.

Chelsea had little to no success with Torres, Kezman, Sutton, Shevchenko, Crespo, Falcao, Salah (and De Bruyne) and Morata. Lukaku is not the problem.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Chelsea had little to no success with Torres, Kezman, Sutton, Shevchenko, Crespo, Falcao, Salah (and De Bruyne) and Morata. Lukaku is not the problem.

This is a good point, almost 20 years of Russian money and Drogba is the only goal machine. Werner also hasn't achieved the standard expected

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
This is a good point, almost 20 years of Russian money and Drogba is the only goal machine. Werner also hasn't achieved the standard expected

Diego Costa was prolific, but not a very popular man.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard

I think it works at a certain level, lower half premier league and down, but at the very highest level it takes a special all round player, like Lewandowski, Kane or Haaland, or even Jimenez and Bamford, and there are very few of those. City play without a proper striker, so do Liverpool. Chelsea do better without Lukaku. Arsenal don't do it, we don't do it, Man Utd play Ronaldo up front, Ings is a bit part at Villa, West Ham and Saints are similar, Kane drops deep, Palace don't get much out of their bigger strikers, that's basically the top 13 in English football

monkeymz

Sep 27, 2011
the difference between theses guys and guy at burnley is that they are extremly mobile and great with there feet unlike the big guys of the past

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
That Burnley guy who scored against us?

But it wasn't a 'big striker' goal.

I agree with the OP's surmise. The big lump has to be super fast and have extra skills to function in the top flight today. He can't just be a 'target man' because defenders are so much better than back in the day. This is why I was particularly irritated by the moaning on here about a striker. We need to score more goals but Olly McBurnie types are not the answer (not even for the blunts in tier 2 this season, it would seem).

I have seen a bit of WBA on the box this season and Andy Carroll looks like he's never played football before. Give me nippy maestros like what they have at Citeh, any day of the week,

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here