Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Guitar Squeak... Pleasure or Pain?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Had the misfortune of having to listen to this tune this afternoon. Guitar squeak is annoying enough to me at the best of times, but this just takes the bloody biscuit!

Anyone care to make a case for guitar squeak, or shall we just write it off as lazy poor technique or bad string choice?

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Had the misfortune of having to listen to this tune this afternoon. Guitar squeak is annoying enough to me at the best of times, but this just takes the bloody biscuit!

Anyone care to make a case for guitar squeak, or shall we just write it off as lazy poor technique or bad string choice?

Sade a fabulous singer at that, but for guitar pain, look above :D

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004

That's utterly bizarre. Did they not notice that at the mixing stage? I've heard some records deliberately leave in extraneous percussive sounds but that just grates.

With an electric guitar you really shouldn't hear that but different on a steel strung acoustic.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
That's utterly bizarre. Did they not notice that at the mixing stage? I've heard some records deliberately leave in extraneous percussive sounds but that just grates.

With an electric guitar you really shouldn't hear that but different on a steel strung acoustic.

Exactly!

At first it was consistent timing and so I thought it was deliberately there for effect. But then it wanders in and out and all over the place. It really really grates and is distracting.

Shame, as I like quite Sade's voice otherwise.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

Thanks.

Only nine posts into that thread and this very same Sade song was flagged up. They weren't very impressed either I see :lol:

I've only ever heard one song in my life where I've enjoyed the squeaks but the sad thing is I can't find that song again. I'd recorded it off of Charlie Gillett's Radio London show years ago, but I've lost the recording and can't find it anywhere since. It was called... One Life by Izzy Star. I've tried spelling her name all sorts of ways but still can't find it.

On every other song I've heard where squeaks are present, they instantly jump out at me and become really irritating as I can't then 'un hear' them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here