Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Has anyone WITH responsibilities ever just quit their job with no backup plan?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
My job is making me ill.
I should have left ages ago.

I'm in need of some courage.

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
Why not resign, work out your notice (a month?) and that will force you to look for something else.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Yes, but mine was early retirement in my late 40's.

If the job is getting you down then fortunately there are literally thousands of vacancies in hospitality, care, farm work (if you like the outside), lorry driving, call centre work at the moment so plenty of chances to do something new (the one upside of Brexit).

If you do make a change then best of luck and as the old saying goes 'a change is as good as a rest'. Hope things work out for you.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
My job is making me ill.

How easy/difficult do you think it would be to find another job for similar money?

Would you be prepared to take a drop in income which would increase your options?

Is self employment of any description a viable option?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Yes; three times. However, I was confident that I’d get the next gig by/before when I needed to.

On none of the occasions was I ill; being so makes it more important that you deal with the issue(s) than in my cases, but, depending on the nature of your illness, may also make harder for you to shine in an interview with a potential new employer - with the inevitable consequences.

Get well soon, however you do it. That’s got to be the top priority.

All imo, ofc.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Could you not hand in a long notice, say three months, which would allow you time to find another job?

Often knowing there is an end point can improve things.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Why not resign, work out your notice (a month?) and that will force you to look for something else.

Yes sorry that is what I meant.
As much of a drama queen that I am, I'm certainly not the 'throw ID badge, at boss and tell him to f**k off' type.

I've just been fantasising about doing just that, for quite a while.

I'm of an age, and have never left a job with knowing where the next wage is coming from.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
When a student I got a weeks work at the old Wembley Stadium. The first morning the boss gave us the reponsibilty of cleaning the toilets. All morning he moaned on and on about temps going for lunch and never coming back afterwards.
At 12 we went to the pub, stayed all afternoon, never went back and didn't ever bother sorting out the mornings pay.

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
Yes, backed myself to get enough work to pay the bills before the money ran out and I did. No job is worth making yourself ill for and this is a market for job seekers even if you just get something to tide you over for a while.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
There's always been a reason to not 'rock the boat' (responsibilities).

The job is weighing on me.
Today I've returned from 3 weeks holiday.
I was happy enough coming back but within an hour found myself 'triggered' as if I'd never been away.

Now they tell me I'm getting a substantial pay rise in April - another millstone!!!

I know I need to get out, esp before I get used to the money.
But I don't have anything else, I have responsibilities and very little in the way of fall back money

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
I’m being sensible and working till year end 2023. Then I can work a two day week somewhere for pin money for another couple of years, then retire. It helps knowing there’s an end to it.

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
My job is making me ill.

Are you confident in your skills, your employability and availability of jobs in your field? If so, quit. If not, maybe call a recruitment agency and try to get a feel what’s available - it might give you the confidence to quit.

Have you raised your concerns with your company or have you suffered in silence?

I had a job once where I was suffering from stress, I raised the issues but things didn’t improve. My strategy was to stick it out until I found a company I really wanted to join to make sure I knew I wouldn’t be in that situation again. I guess all I’m saying is as well as leaving your current job, make sure your next one is right.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Yes 4-5 times, but when I was young with no responsibilities and could live with my folks.

Now I would be far too scared to.
(I do actually like my job though).

One of my best mates has quit for the third time I think and my dad has twice and it's definitely worked out for my dad, my mate has survived and not done too badly

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
I'm sorry to hear you are not enjoying your job. I hope you can find the answer. But if it's making you ill......

The answer to your question is 'yes'. Several times. But only after I had been made redundant from my (until then) permanent IT job, and went contracting instead.

Being a contractor, I was no longer a wage slave, with no end date to my purgatory. I was now in control of my own future, in control of which contracts I worked on, and knew that each contract had an end date. Depending on the notice period, I was often within a week of walking out the door. Which is what I did on several occasions. If I experienced any crap, or if I just didn't fancy it any more, I just handed in my notice and ended the contract.

It was a revelation. It completely changed my life and outlook on work.

Good luck. Bear in mind, these things do pass, and we do get through them.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
There's always been a reason to not 'rock the boat' (responsibilities).

The job is weighing on me.
Today I've returned from 3 weeks holiday.
I was happy enough coming back but within an hour found myself 'triggered' as if I'd never been away.

Now they tell me I'm getting a substantial pay rise in April - another millstone!!!

I know I need to get out, esp before I get used to the money.
But I don't have anything else, I have responsibilities and very little in the way of fall back money

If you leave she’ll have you clearing that shed out. Would you rather stay working. :D

Last edited:

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
When we went to South Africa, we went without employment to go to. Bit drastic!! What is it with the job that weighs on you? As a start, is there perhaps another position within the same company that appeals to you more?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Are you confident in your skills, your employability and availability of jobs in your field? If so, quit. If not, maybe call a recruitment agency and try to get a feel what’s available - it might give you the confidence to quit.

Have you raised your concerns with your company or have you suffered in silence?

I had a job once where I was suffering from stress, I raised the issues but things didn’t improve. My strategy was to stick it out until I found a company I really wanted to join to make sure I knew I wouldn’t be in that situation again. I guess all I’m saying is as well as leaving your current job, make sure your next one is right.

Yeah fortunately I'm easily transferable.

My job and company at large has an element of 'oh Stat will do it - check with Stat'.

I've highlighted many times that this is now taking the piss, but not a lot is changing.
'oh Stat's about to explode at someone' is still very much a joke/game.
(Not that it's ok even if I were, but I'm not even close to an 'exploding at people' level).

My concern is all this is happening but for a couple of half hearted interviews, I've not done anything about it.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If you leave she’ll be having you clearing that shed out. Would you rather stay working. :D

I might have to move into that she'd!

Anyhoo back too it.
I've not even had chance to stop feeling my heart thumping on my chest!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here