Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Uefa Likely To Move Champions League Final

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/60474920

Being a lover of Euro footie this is of interest to me. Although it rather irks that the claims it should come here have already started.

Wembley has hosted more finals than any other ground, has it again in 2024, and as it isn't available Sadiq thinks it should go to another London ground.

The French haven't hosted for 15 years and Austria might be due another go.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Wembley has hosted more finals than any other ground, has it again in 2024, and as it isn't available Sadiq thinks it should go to another London ground.
Stamford Bridge?

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I'm predicting the final being moved to Yerevan, as this will fit in with UEFA's vision of being fan friendly and bringing events to growing football nations.

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
Nailed on to go to the Tottenham stadium

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
That can’t be true, UEFA hates England!

:lolol:

The UK has hosted it more than any other nation.

Wembley 7
Hampden Park 2
Cardiff 1
Old Trafford 1

Italy has hosted 9, England 8. Although it's back here in 2024.

So I'm not sure why folk think it should come this year.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Good, but not enough. All Russian teams should be instantly kicked out of all international competitions, including the World Cup (OK, that last would be for FIFA, not UEFA, but should still happen).

Why?

... never mind. Collective punishment is the way forward and the ways of the wise and moral men.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Why?

... never mind. Collective punishment is the way forward and the ways of the wise and moral men.

Puts pressure on Putin won't it when their sports teams are denied revenue from international sporting tournaments

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Why?

Apologies if you've posted it elsewhere, but given the situation as it is now, how would you suggest the world approaches it, assuming a swift end to this war is the end goal?

I don't have a magic answer by any means, but I do think that it's pressure from within Russia that's likely to bring about the best (i.e. least bloodshed & no nukes) conclusion to all of this - whether that's an uprising of the general population, or the Oligarchs and other power-brokers in the Kremlin turning on Putin.

Whilst the suffering of innocent Russian citizens should not be taken lightly, I'm not sure the inconvenience of having the club they support thrown out of Europe, or the re-locating of the Champions League final stacks up as 'suffering' in anywhere near the same stratosphere as what the Ukrainians are going through, or what will happen to the Russian population if Putin carries on down this path.
If such sanctions make it hit home to more of the Russian population (or the 'elites' that no doubt own the clubs concerned, or Gazprom that misses out on its marketing opportunity) that they need to do something about Putain, then I'm absolutely for it.

More innocent Russians will suffer in far worse ways if the situation escalates, so non-violent 'suffering', whether its Russian kids being kicked out of UK private schools, or Zenit St Petersburg fans annoyed at being thrown out of the Europa League (though didn't Betis do that on the pitch last night?) is a better outcome in my opinion.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Why?

I think as at [MENTION=3462]Springal[/MENTION] points out, isolation / sanctions is perhaps far more desirable than escalating military conflict. If banning Russian sports teams, sponsorship, cancelling events to be held there, etc. etc. creates enough pressure that it encourages dissent / changes in policy, then this is surely better than other direct alternatives. However, the upshot of this is likely a new Cold War, however that looks unavoidable now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here