Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Have You Ever Fallen Asleep During A Game?

el punal

Come on, be honest! I will admit to having a little forty winks when we played Peterborough in our early years at the Amex. The match was incredibly boring, I think we won 1-0, and the padded seats wonderfully comfortable that slumber took over my weary mind and body, albeit for a few minutes.

The other two occasions were away to Fulham and Reading and these were halftime snooze jobs. I will own up to the fact that copious amounts of amber liquid consumed pre-match were probably to blame, plus both match days were very warm and sunny. Unfortunately for me one of my wonderful football friends decided to take a photo of yours truly in the land of nod - an image that can never be unseen, as I am constantly reminded. :blush:

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
BHA vs. Blackpool 7 years ago 0-0 both sides deserved to lose, by the 80th minute I had lost the will to live.

Christ we are SO much better these days, bad day at the office vs. Burnley is now just that, a bad day...

el punal

[QUOzTE=jakarta;10183063]BHA vs. Blackpool 7 years ago 0-0 both sides deserved to lose, by the 80th minute I had lost the will to live.

Christ we are SO much better these days, bad day at the office vs. Burnley is now just that, a bad day...[/QUOTE]

Was that the one when Paddy McCourt came on as sub and did . . . nothing?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I fell asleep during the Chelsea away game, but thankfully recorded it. Also happened during a Leeds United away game. Again recorded.

At a game though ? :lolol:

Reagulls

Jul 22, 2013
I still get reminded by my other half that I managed to fall asleep in the IMAX in Crawley during the Avengers film the Age of Ultron during a massive action scene involving a train crashing apparently.
in my defence, we had been for some dinner and a beer and the seats were very comfy...

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
I got a very early flight (sorry Greta) for an Ashes test at Old Trafford.

Nice seat, sunny day, couple of beers, session after lunch ….. zzzzzzz

Still, saw most of it on the highlights later!

Roadrunner

Oct 2, 2003
Littlehampton
Fell asleep and missed the entire second half of Denmark 4 England 1 in Copenhagen back in 2005. I'm putting it down to the 5am flight rather than the <insert number here> pints of Tuborg consumed pre-match. Did I mention that all 5 goals were scored in the second half :lolol:

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
I'm a recovering alcoholic, so I never partake in the booze but I haven't fallen asleep a few times. I've stopped going to games now because I wasn't enjoying them at all. I nodded off during an early Potter game against Burnley, the whole game was boring and a waste of time. I was woken up at the end and had probably missed the last 20/30 minutes. I've slept through a few of the games during the lockdown because of the lack of entertainment as well.

I find myself rarely enjoying watching a match now, my interest in football is still strong but I don't seem to enjoy watching the games.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Come on, be honest! I will admit to having a little forty winks when we played Peterborough in our early years at the Amex. The match was incredibly boring, I think we won 1-0, and the padded seats wonderfully comfortable that slumber took over my weary mind and body, albeit for a few minutes.

The other two occasions were away to Fulham and Reading and these were halftime snooze jobs. I will own up to the fact that copious amounts of amber liquid consumed pre-match were probably to blame, plus both match days were very warm and sunny. Unfortunately for me one of my wonderful football friends decided to take a photo of yours truly in the land of nod - an image that can never be unseen, as I am constantly reminded. :blush:

If it's the same game I'm thinking of it was 2-0 and Ryan Harley scored a free kick. I didn't fall asleep, but it does stick in my memory as one of the most boring games I've been to.

Never fallen asleep at the football, although I did – surprisingly – have a little snooze in The Event II when drinking vodka red bulls one night.

Go figure, as they say.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
BHA vs. Blackpool 7 years ago 0-0 both sides deserved to lose, by the 80th minute I had lost the will to live.

Christ we are SO much better these days, bad day at the office vs. Burnley is now just that, a bad day...

I'm pretty sure I'm thinking of the exact same match. Bought a friend on a spare season ticket, he was not particularly impressed (understandably). I don't think I quite nodded off but I was pretty damn close.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
1969, I went to White Hart Lane with my then fiancé following a couple of hours in the pub. He supported Leeds. It was a boring draw, and the liquid lunch took its toll, so I have no memory of the first half at all having dozed through it all.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Was that the one when Paddy McCourt came on as sub and did . . . nothing?

I was always genuinely baffled by the hero-worship this player induced amongst some on here. Looked like he'd woken up in a bus shelter, and played like it as well. One of the most junk signings in the Amex (or any other) era, but people really seemed to LOVE the fact that he turned up in our midfield looking like Kane Dingle after a heavy night in the Woolpack.

Anyway, can't say I've ever nodded off at a game but I've been pushed close many times, particularly in the late Hughton era.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I got a very early flight (sorry Greta) for an Ashes test at Old Trafford.

Nice seat, sunny day, couple of beers, session after lunch ….. zzzzzzz

Still, saw most of it on the highlights later!

thought a snooze at the cricket was standard?

i've dozed off during a couple of games on TV, dont remember which as they were obviously very unremarkable. i did find myself reaching for the programme as entertainment once.

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
England v Saudi Arabia 1998.

A starting 11 including Scholes, Beckham, Anderton, Shearer and Sheringham, with Wright, Gascoigne and Les Ferdinand coming on as subs, somehow drew 0-0. Dire game. Beers had been had, and I'd just returned from a few days fun with mates in Budapest so was a tad weary.

Dancin Ninja BHA

Jul 6, 2003
To the original question......yes, but only for a few minutes, 5 tops

Away to Bristol City at least 20 years ago, we won (Bobby scored and I think the scouser also Lee???). Got battered all morning and lunchtime, hot day, you know the drill....Apologies!!!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
No, but I once fell asleep during a Bachman Turner Overdrive gig. They were absolutely shit.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here