Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Router modem set up

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
Hi, some tech advice please..
just moved home and EE can’t connect us for a week. Previous owner says his existing vodaphone line in/broadband is still live if we want to use it..
Just plugging in my EE Router doesn’t work, same with an old AirPort Extreme..
Phone reception not amazing up here but will go that way if we have to (2 kids/homework/Xbox/etc) so what can you lot suggest I can use for a week to get us by.. second hand vodaphone router required ?
Cheers :thumbsup:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I wasn't aware Routers were ISP specific.

Have you gone into the Router's settings to get it working? Although you'd need the password of the existing Wi-fi network that the previous owner used I think.

P.S. If you have a mobile with unlimited data then for now you could hotspot off of that.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
If the router comes on, you don't always need the password - sometimes you can connect by pushing the connect button on the route itself (once the device is looking for it).

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
If the router comes on, you don't always need the password - sometimes you can connect by pushing the connect button on the route itself (once the device is looking for it).

The WPS button?

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016
First thing is to be sure that the phone line really is live. Does your existing router have a light that comes on to show that it has connected to the incoming signal?
Next thing is to check the Vodafone website, and see what settings they say to use for a '3rd party' router (i.e. one not supplied by them). Input those settings into your router, and you should be good to go (assuming that the broadband signal really is still live).

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
Thanka for all replies so far - inc [MENTION=16233]tom_[/MENTION]Hark, _Preston_Park [MENTION=33581]Tom Hark, Preston Park[/MENTION] .. :thumbsup:

Phone line is live - EE router just goes red. My Apple Mac has no direct connection port to connect router (using phone at this point with 2 bars reception)

@ Peter Out @ Barnet Seagull - So it seems i need a Vodaphone log in/ID so i can then use a 3rd party router..?

Off for walk in rain, as that will elicit a different moaning from kids than 'Are we on line yet..?' :rolleyes: :lolol:

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016
Thanka for all replies so far - inc [MENTION=16233]tom_[/MENTION]Hark, _Preston_Park [MENTION=33581]Tom Hark, Preston Park[/MENTION] .. :thumbsup:

Phone line is live - EE router just goes red. My Apple Mac has no direct connection port to connect router (using phone at this point with 2 bars reception)

@ Peter Out @ Barnet Seagull - So it seems i need a Vodaphone log in/ID so i can then use a 3rd party router..?

Off for walk in rain, as that will elicit a different moaning from kids than 'Are we on line yet..?' :rolleyes: :lolol:

Yes, as per the link that Barnet Seagull provided - if the previous house owner is willing / able to provide their login details (unlikely), then you can use your router, once you have setup the router with the instructions on the vodafone page.

Otherwise, you will need to use your phone's broadband signal as a hotspot, assuming that you have a large amount of data included in your phone's plan.

Final option - send the kids out for a walk in the rain to get some peace and quiet, you have enough to do with moving into a new home :)

Last edited:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
How close/friendly are the neighbours? Could possibly ask if you can use their wifi for a few days ? Don’t think you’ll be able to use the Vod line unless you have the previous owners login details…….

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
You will definitely need the vodafone id/password to set up the router.
If you get them the other settings are
PPPoE
VLAN 101
MTU 1492

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Yes, as per the link that Barnet Seagull provided - if the previous house owner is willing / able to provide their login details (unlikely), then you can use your router, once you have setup the router with the instructions on the vodafone page.

Otherwise, you will need to use your phone's broadband signal as a hotspot, assuming that you have a large amount of data included in your phone's plan.

Final option - send the kids out for a walk in the rain to get some peace and quiet, you have enough to do with moving into a new home :)

Then, get technical ……

3CBF67DB-8C8A-4FC3-AFB1-70AFF085A95D.png

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here