Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] New gear box for car

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I am told I need a new gear box on my Hyundai i10 and have been quoted £1200 does anyone have a view as to whether that's a reasonable price? The car is 9 years old and pretty low mileage so I think fixing it is the right approach. Any car experts on here that could offer good advice especially on where to get the work done.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I am told I need a new gear box on my Hyundai i10 and have been quoted £1200 does anyone have a view as to whether that's a reasonable price? The car is 9 years old and pretty low mileage so I think fixing it is the right approach. Any car experts on here that could offer good advice especially on where to get the work done.

If I had a potential bill for £1200 to repair my Hyundai i10 I'd happily scrap the bloody thing - that would be all the excuse I needed!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
When you say low mileage, how low?

Gearboxes should not let go at low mileages unless you’re one of those drivers who doesn’t use the clutch much and graunches it between gears :lolol:

Definitely get a second opinion, it may be something fixable without changing the gearbox

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
When you say low mileage, how low?

Gearboxes should not let go at low mileages unless you’re one of those drivers who doesn’t use the clutch much and graunches it between gears :lolol:

Definitely get a second opinion, it may be something fixable without changing the gearbox

60k or so.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
60k or so.

Sorry, but I would think 9 years old with 60K isn't worth spending that much on and 60K does sound low for a gearbox to go. If the gearbox is just starting to go, maybe sell it, if it's completely gone, maybe a reconditioned gearbox would be cheaper ?

Price sounds reasonable for a new gearbox to me, but I'm no mechanic.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Who told you the gear box has gone in the first place ? If it was the main dealer I'd definitely get a second quote from a independent garage as the main dealer prices for repairs are considerably higher than Bob's garage, if it needs a new box fair enough but I'd wager the main dealers price will be 300 or so higher than Bob, who would do exactly the same change out as Hyundai.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Doesn’t sound unreasonable for a remanufactured gearbox, clutch and labour. Some Hyundai/Kia stuff is a bit pricey. It’s not unheard of for a gearbox to fail around 60k miles but definitely get a second opinion. Feel free to pm me and I can give you a few places to try that I deal with at work.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I know very little about cars so bear with me on this . I had the car from new (so know its history) and its been serviced by main dealership for most of that time so has been well maintained. The car was then past over to one of my kids. I agree definitely need to get a second opinion on the fault and the pricing. It is a leaking seal which has put oil on the clutch (car was in for a 'slippy' clutch).

I am interested in the logic as to when is the time not to get it fixed. Looking at i10s of a similar year or OLDER with similar mileage (60-70k) then from a garage you would pay £2.8- 3.5 k , maybe less if the mileage was higher and maybe you might get 6 months warranty.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
I know very little about cars so bear with me on this . I had the car from new (so know its history) and its been serviced by main dealership for most of that time so has been well maintained. The car was then past over to one of my kids. I agree definitely need to get a second opinion on the fault and the pricing. It is a leaking seal which has put oil on the clutch (car was in for a 'slippy' clutch).

I am interested in the logic as to when is the time not to get it fixed. Looking at i10s of a similar year or OLDER with similar mileage (60-70k) then from a garage you would pay £2.8- 3.5 k , maybe less if the mileage was higher and maybe you might get 6 months warranty.

If it’s just a seal it may be able to be repaired anyway. Main dealers like to change stuff rather than repair

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
don't you like the car? What size bill would you pay?

Ask me on Tuesday, after the bloody thing has had its MOT!

I'm not surprised the gearbox is damaged - among its many faults (sluggish performance, poor cornering, poor petrol consumption) the i10 has the worst clutch I've ever come across in 50 odd years of driving everything from bikes to cars to tractors to vans to HGV3s; there is absolutely no 'teel' to it at all - making a sharp getaway when needed (small gap in busy traffic for example) is a bloody nightmare!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here