Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Sky TV down?

August West

Jul 30, 2013
I’m getting an error message that my Sky box is not receiving a signal hours after the wind dropped. I have tried the usual resets without success.

Does anyone else have the same problem? I’m near Fiveways in Brighton.

Last edited:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I’m getting an error message that my Sky box is not receiving a signal hours after the wind dropped.

It's unlikely to be a problem that affects anyone else. If Sky weren't broadcasting a signal all their customers would know as would I in London.

Your dish has been shifted by the wind, your dish is very wet or more likely the software has got its knickers in a twist.

Turn the box at the mains, leave it off for a few minutes and try again.

Last edited:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

Not such a stupid comment,

A few years ago the Iranian Government were annoyed with free news services from the UK and USA broadcasting into the country.

They took some dishes out into the middle of nowhere and beamed a jamming signal towards the satellite. It's incredibly easy to do.

Not only did this knock out the news services, but knocked out a number of other channels across Europe which shared the satellite.

It barely made the news over here because UK services weren't affected. There was quite a bit of politics involved because the UK Government didn't want to be seen to "back down", all the time was Polish viewers were derived of a number of channels over a dispute that had nothing to do with them.

Went on a few weeks. The other channels were moved to another satellite and eventually the Iranians relented and turned off the beam.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Have you tried turning the satellite off and on again?

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Why is Sky not working?

Firstly, try resetting your sky box with a simple reboot. To do this switch off the Sky Box directly from the mains and do this for all connected devices (this may include your internet router). Ensure that the lights on your box has completely disappeared this is s signal the box has no power.

If that doesn't work try turning it off and waiting a few seconds and then turning it on. That is the same as a reboot but in simplier language.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I'm in BN43 and Sky fine so must be a dish issue

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
We had the same last night. Haven't tried this morning yet. We did all the troubleshooting and still said no satellite so must have been buggered up by the wind. Will contact sky later if still the case.

I'm happy to take that as our one bit of damage compared to a couple of the houses on my road.

Update. Still out this morning. Our dish faces out to an open field directly into the heaviest winds yesterday so it's not a huge suprise

Last edited:

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Our development communal dish is down and they reckon they can’t fix this until the 28th.

Let’s see if they get a move on after they have been reminded of the loss of access amounting to £20,000 worth of subscriptions

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
It's your dish. Don't reset your box or you'll lose all those Albion matches you've saved. If you can get to your dish safely try gently moving it, do not force it.
Signal takes time to come on so best way is to have someone watching the TV within shouting distance.
On the box press 'setting' and find 'signal'. There should be 4 bars. Just see if they are up or down.

D

Deleted member 22389

I’m getting an error message that my Sky box is not receiving a signal hours after the wind dropped. I have tried the usual resets without success.

Can you get in to the settings menu? Check the signal quality. If you have no signal / bars then your dish is out of alignment and will need resetting, which means calling someone out. The wind must have moved your dish.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here