Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] RIP Billy McEwan

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Scot signed by Clough and Taylor, played 28 times in 1974, scoring 3 goals.

Remember him as an energetic midfielder with leadership qualities. With Ronnie Welch, went to Chesterfield in the deal that brought Ken Tiler to the club.

Age 70, RIP Billy.

Sent from my M2103K19G using Tapatalk

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I remember him well, though I was only 7 at the time. He was a decent player with a bit of bite. Very young, RIP.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Remember him arriving - I think I may have seen his Goldstone debut. Clough was buying quite a lot of players around that time, I seem to remember in twos - Ronnie Welch and Harry Wilson from Burnley, and didn't we buy two from Blackpool at the same time? Billy McEwan and A.N.Other - anyone remember who, or am I having a senioer moment?

Anyway, RIP Billy - three score and ten is too early these days.

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
Remember him arriving - I think I may have seen his Goldstone debut. Clough was buying quite a lot of players around that time, I seem to remember in twos - Ronnie Welch and Harry Wilson from Burnley, and didn't we buy two from Blackpool at the same time? Billy McEwan and A.N.Other - anyone remember who, or am I having a senioer moment?

Another pair was Jim Walker and Tommy Mason but can't remember who from. I think Clough bought Paul Fuschillo from Blackpool but don't recall him or Billy McEwan as part of a pair.

Of course, there's always Google but much prefer trying to recall.

RIP Billy.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton

And threes. Ian Mellor, Andy Rollings and Steve Govier all from Norwich if I recall correctly.

Remember Billy McEwan well. One of those energetic, head bobbling while he ran midfielders. Always liked him. RIP Billy.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
A fine midfielder was very surprised he only played 28 times far to young to pass away RIP Billy thoughts and prayers with his family and all who knew him

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Another pair was Jim Walker and Tommy Mason but can't remember who from. I think Clough bought Paul Fuschillo from Blackpool but don't recall him or Billy McEwan as part of a pair.

Of course, there's always Google but much prefer trying to recall.

RIP Billy.

Spot on with Paul Fuschillo. Both players arrived from Blackpool in 1974 - if not a pair, pretty close together I would think.
(I did try Googling, but for obvious reason my search criteria didn't include the words 'Paul' and 'Fuschillo' and weren't successful!)

Didn't remember Mason and Walker, but the answer (thank you Google) is Derby.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Yes, I remember Billy, a player with a bit of positive ‘bite’
Wow, only 70, far too young.
RIP, Billy.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
RIP Billy sadly another Parkinson’s sufferer, potentially another work place injury?

At some point someone has to take responsibility for this.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Billy McEwan and A.N.Other - anyone remember who, or am I having a senior moment?

Are you referring to A.N. Other?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A._N._Other

A. N. Other is used as a placeholder name or, less commonly, a pseudonym used by a person wishing to remain anonymous. It is most used in the United Kingdom, often written as AN Other. Occasionally it may be abbreviated to ANO, or—in cases where a female name is expected—rendered as Ann(e) Other.

As a placeholder name, A. N. Other is commonly employed in lists of cricket players, where players' names are traditionally listed as initials and surname (e.g., I. T. Botham), for players whose names have not yet been announced or are unknown (e.g. "Additional players: A. W. Smith, J. C. Taylor and A. N. Other").[1]

The Formula One racing driver Jackie Stewart raced as "A. N. Other" early in his career, supposedly because his mother would worry if she knew he was racing cars.[2]

Less frequently used is U. N. Owen, as for example used in the Agatha Christie novel And Then There Were None.

The name is also used for demonstration on sample documents and identity cards.

An equivalent term is "NN", for "Nomen nescio". Of equivalent function are TBA, TBC, and TBD (to be announced, confirmed, determined).

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62
I travelled back from a game at Shrewsbury to Crewe with Biily, Fuschillo and Harry Wilson. Just normal guys sat in Standard Class (i.e. no 'entitlement') - and telling tales about Cloughie (who went a few weeks later). Billy and Paul were going home to Blackpool for the weekend, and Harry carried on to Manchester with me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here