Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Risk of meeting up with an unvaccinated person?

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
If I go for coffee with an unvaccinated person am I putting my elderly parents at risk when I see them next?

I can't really find clear info. I am fully vaccinated and not concerned for myself. I thought the unvaccinated friend of a friend was just putting themselves at risk? But a couple of days after I am due to see my fully vaccinated 80 year old parents both with heart issues so I'm concerned for them and should I cancel or stay away from the folks?

I am only going to support my friend to meet her family member (due long history of family welfare problems).

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
If I go for coffee with an unvaccinated person am I putting my elderly parents at risk when I see them next?

I can't really find clear info. I am fully vaccinated and not concerned for myself. I thought the unvaccinated friend of a friend was just putting themselves at risk? But a couple of days after I am due to see my fully vaccinated 80 year old parents both with heart issues so I'm concerned for them and should I cancel or stay away from the folks?

I am only going to support my friend to meet her family member (due long history of family welfare problems).

Transmission is possible vaccinated or not…perhaps more so if not(?) …do u lft before seeing them anyway….what level of risk do u or they normally accept, given there is an element of risk in most things…do they meet other unvaccinated people, would they know that anyway …inside or outside etc etc

More importantly what do they think?

Last edited:

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
What do they think?

I haven't mentioned it to my parents as don't want to cause extra worry. I will probably wait 5-6 days to see them it's just that like many I have curtailed and cancelled so many things to be safer. I was just wondering because until someone today stated to me that unvaccinated pose risk as they pass it on more easily I had assumed it was more the unvaccinated putting themselves at risk by mixing.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I haven't mentioned it to my parents as don't want to cause extra worry. I will probably wait 5-6 days to see them it's just that like many I have curtailed and cancelled so many things to be safer. I was just wondering because until someone today stated to me that unvaccinated pose risk as they pass it on more easily I had assumed it was more the unvaccinated putting themselves at risk by mixing.

I think at the end of the day you do have to make your own decisions ..assessment of risk…level of risk that people take varies from one person to the other …and as you know it’s still possible to transmit even if vaccinated and you arnt always going to know who is and who isn’t …then of course people that have had covid apparently have as good as protection as people who have had two jabs even if not vaccinated…it can be tricky trying to do what you think is best.

I’m sure they will appreciate your concern

Last edited:

Dibdab

Sep 28, 2021
This is a very good example of how media messaging nonsense is seriously affecting people. Vaccinated and unVaccinated people are transmitting Covid at serious scale. There is really no need to worry about any particular group more than the other.

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
This is a very good example of how media messaging nonsense is seriously affecting people. Vaccinated and unVaccinated people are transmitting Covid at serious scale. There is really no need to worry about any particular group more than the other.

Oh dear... Another contender for the "am I Mustafa" file!

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020

Well done you for putting the interests of someone vulnerable at the front of your thoughts.

Dibdab

Sep 28, 2021
Oh dear... Another contender for the "am I Mustafa" file!

You think it's healthy people are worried about meeting unvaccinated people? Wow. I've recently had it and am vaccinated, my family all caught it and are vaccinated. Numerous other friends and family who are vaccinated have all had covid recently. There is ample risk of catching omicrom off anyone.

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
You think it's healthy people are worried about meeting unvaccinated people? Wow. I've recently had it and am vaccinated, my family all caught it and are vaccinated. Numerous other friends and family who are vaccinated have all had covid recently. There is ample risk of catching omicrom off anyone.

No, I think it is the actions of a very responsible child who wants to know the risk of passing on Covid to their vulnerable parents.

Quite reasonable really and nothing to do with media hysteria.

ANdy1

Apr 20, 2022
Agree with @cloud. I had the similar sutuation. My grandfather is 76 now (I strongly wish him health!) and I had to help him with the house. I decided to wait dome time before visiting him. Don't know whether it helped, but he is alright!

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014

Vaccination is scarcely relevant to transmission of the disease. Vaccination never stops and never could stop anyone from breathing in the virus, because what vaccination does is give the body the tools to fight it. And even for vaccinated people these tools take a few days to get going, and it is in the very early days of the virus that coronavirus is most infectious, before the immune system (whether vaccinated or unvacinated) is making much difference.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Vaccination is scarcely relevant to transmission of the disease. Vaccination never stops and never could stop anyone from breathing in the virus, because what vaccination does is give the body the tools to fight it. And even for vaccinated people these tools take a few days to get going, and it is in the very early days of the virus that coronavirus is most infectious, before the immune system (whether vaccinated or unvacinated) is making much difference.

Does vaccination not make you less likely to get a disease, ergo less likely to spread it? Which I think was the gist of the original question.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Does vaccination not make you less likely to get a disease, ergo less likely to spread it? Which I think was the gist of the original question.
No. This disease is caught by breathing it into the lungs. Vaccines make no difference at all to how much of this disease gets into the lungs. A face mask might help for that, but a vaccine does not provide any protection at all for what you breathe in.

The vaccine means your body is ready to fight the disease faster. If you aren't vaccinated, then it takes a fortnight or so to gear up the antibodies and so forth to fight off the rapidly multiplying virus, by which time the virus may be too numerous to defeat or may have done too much damage to recover from. If you are vaccinated, your defences start to work faster and the virus hasn't had time to get strong enough before the defences overpower it.

The problem re. spreading the virus is that the early days, before the body's defences (whether vaccinated or not) have had time to really get going, are when the virus is most infectious. So in day 2,3,4 for example, the strength of the virus within the body is not a lot different between vaccinated and unvaccinated, and that's when the virus is most infectious. By days 10-11-12, for example, the vaccinated person has far less virus inside them but the unvaccinated person (even though possibly on the way to being seriously ill) is not particularly infectious either.

Vaccines make it less likely that the disease will take hold and make you ill, which in general speech we would assume means that you haven't got it. Very often with measles, for example, you might breathe in the virus and never know, because the measles vaccine works so well that your body fights off the disease before you notice you have it AND before you're infectious. The covid vaccine isn't quite that effective.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here