Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Colour blindness

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Hi All

About ten days ago we found out that my lad who is 13 is really colour blind, mostly green yellow and blue issues but some red. Quite rare version I am told. It is incredible he has hidden it for this long but he just said he didn’t realise and just assumed it was the same for everyone.

Today I found out about accessibility setting on an iPhone which means he can now see colour and then we googled ps5 and that also has settings. Fortnite and fifa have blown his mind now he can see more colours. It is still not perfect but he is beside himself.

Given that almost 10 per cent of men have some form of colour blindness there must be loads on here who have tips of things to make it better/ wins like the ps5 and iPhones settings that have completely changed his life.

When we played spurs he could not tell the kits apart and now we know why!

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I’m colour blind, I thought I might struggle with the kits at the FA Cup game but I was ok. I struggle with green, brown and reds mainly. I once went to Hibs vs Aberdeen and struggled to tells them apart. Watching West Brom vs Blackburn on Monday night I struggled to see the difference between the Blackburn keepers kit and their yellow away kit. When playing Fifa with my mates we have to make sure the kits are different enough for my colour vision too, much to the amusement of my mates.

I’ve not changed any settings on my phone or consoles etc but I do use a colour picker app to help me identify colours sometimes. Oh and I play Wordle with the colour blind mode on or I’d never be able to pick out which letter is correct and which is right but in the wrong place.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
My lad just shouted me about fifa. “Did you know there are tramlines on the pitch?” It has blown his mind. Worth looking at settings on phone and console. He is like a giddy 6 year old full off sugar seeing this new world.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
When I was younger my mates were very sympathetic. When playing snooker, they let me line up, and hit the pink ball with the cue, then deducted points - ******** :)

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
My lad just shouted me about fifa. “Did you know there are tramlines on the pitch?” It has blown his mind. Worth looking at settings on phone and console. He is like a giddy 6 year old full off sugar seeing this new world.

Bless him, things we all take for granted can be quite disabling for others!

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
Hi All

About ten days ago we found out that my lad who is 13 is really colour blind, mostly green yellow and blue issues but some red. Quite rare version I am told. It is incredible he has hidden it for this long but he just said he didn’t realise and just assumed it was the same for everyone.

Today I found out about accessibility setting on an iPhone which means he can now see colour and then we googled ps5 and that also has settings. Fortnite and fifa have blown his mind now he can see more colours. It is still not perfect but he is beside himself.

Given that almost 10 per cent of men have some form of colour blindness there must be loads on here who have tips of things to make it better/ wins like the ps5 and iPhones settings that have completely changed his life.

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers.
[MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION] is colour blind and did a really good interview on his Price of Football podcast on Sept 21st last year. Well worth a listen.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
[MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION] is colour blind and did a really good interview on his Price of Football podcast on Sept 21st last year. Well worth a listen.

I always assumed that was an old wives' tale...!

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
As a non-colourblind person I have no practical use for this advice. But I have a motto in life that has served me well - “if it cannot be used to do good for me, how can it be used to do harm others?”.

Inadvertently, you’ve alerted me to ‘classic invert mode’, and having just slyly set my wife’s iPhone to this most psychedelic of settings, she now thinks she’s losing her marbles.

“What are you on about, love? It looks perfectly normal to me…”.

I’m going to let this run for a couple of hours at least, I think.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I have frequently potted the brown thinking it was a red.

Assuming no entendres in your post I’d say I’ve tried to pot the brown thinking it was red on more than one occasion, but I certainly don’t frequently pot the *******.

Back to the original subject the clash with football kits seems to get worse for me, especially in the colours of away/goalies/referees kits, sometimes it is impossible fo me to differentiate between them. The Spurs FA Cup game was just about tolerable on the telly, seeing the shorts colour made it so, but had I been in the lower stand behind the goal don’t think I would have had a clue.

As for the Enchroma glasses (and Pilestone) I have tried both, and bought the later, I am sure they work for some but whilst they make colours appear more vivid, the greens and reds are easier to tell apart, but I still don’t know which is red and which is green.

After 56 years I’m quite used to it, I’d love a cure, or treatment, or glasses that really do work, but I’ll not lose any sleep over it. I wanted to be a fighter pilot as a kid, and I would have been if not for my disability, can’t be a train driver either, and a few other things. I’ve worked in corporate brand identity since 1986, I’ve learnt that the RAL, NCS Pantone and other professional colour swatches are my friend.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
When using a red or pink tea when playing golf even if the tee is by my foot until my fellow golfers point it out I cannot see it. Once shown it's so obvious

mickybha

Jan 2, 2010
Hi All

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers.

There is a great free app called CVsimulatator that enables you to see the world as your son does

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
When using a red or pink tea when playing golf even if the tee is by my foot until my fellow golfers point it out I cannot see it. Once shown it's so obvious

Had a similar but humiliating experience at primary school.

It was a summer day and for some reason a kid picked up my red pencil and threw it out the window,
I told the teacher (Mrs Hunt). who told me to go out side and get it back,
I couldn't see it in the grass and the teacher pointed at it, No still no good.
It took about 5 minutes of basically the whole class laughing at me and pointing to the patch of grass, where it was, before i could see it.

Mrs Hunt thought I had been playing the fool and made my life hell for the rest of the year.
Still hate her.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
There is a great free app called CVsimulatator that enables you to see the world as your son does

Thanks. We found this last night and it is nuts. I looked at fortnite as he sees it and it is so dull. His bright pink t polo shirt he wears for gold looks like a dull mustard colour. He has been going through his clothes using his phone with the filter and seeing the colour of everything. Quite an eye opening evening. It is remarkable he has kept it hidden until he is 13.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Had a similar but humiliating experience at primary school.

It was a summer day and for some reason a kid picked up my red pencil and threw it out the window,
I told the teacher (Mrs Hunt). who told me to go out side and get it back,
I couldn't see it in the grass and the teacher pointed at it, No still no good.
It took about 5 minutes of basically the whole class laughing at me and pointing to the patch of grass, where it was, before i could see it.

Mrs Hunt thought I had been playing the fool and made my life hell for the rest of the year.
Still hate her.

I joined a gold club with my lad 2 years ago and it has done my head in how rubbish he is at spotting his ball and tee pegs. This explains it quite well I think!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here