Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] So, was it a red?

Was it a red?

• Yes. Red all day long.

Votes: 69 24.5%
  • No. Yellow. Ref got it right the first time.

Votes: 213 75.5%

• Total voters

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
VAR stepped in to point out a 'clear and obvious error'.

So, was it a clear and obvious error deserving the yellow to be turned over and a red issued for The Dunk?

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Looking at the replay, it's not a 100% foul by Dunk anyway. Elanga feels the arm on him and falls over.

Webster is definitely close enough for there to be huge doubt that he was free on goal.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
VAR stepped in to point out a 'clear and obvious error'.

So, was it a clear and obvious error deserving the yellow to be turned over and a red issued for The Dunk?

That's the point, isn't it? The fact it might have been a red is debatable. But one thing that is absolutely CERTAIN is that it was NOT a 'clear and obvious error'.

Stockley Park can go **** themselves. This isn't what VAR is for,.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Yes, the records will show that it was. The question is not whether it was a red or not - the fact is it was borderline red/yellow - but whether there was enough 'clear and obvious' for the prat at Stockley Park to decide, 'Ooh goody, I've got a chance to be important here'.

There wasn't enough 'clear and obvious' - the on-field decision (right or wrong) should have stood.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
A real 50:50 call on whether Webster would’ve got there first.

So no, with blue tinted specs.

(But I wish Dunk had just cleared it upfield a second earlier. Such a dangerous place when being pressed. Half asleep).

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
No chance that should be overturned. Webster probably would have got there first. To argue he definitely wouldn’t is clearly wrong.

Jimmy Grimble

A real 50:50 call on whether Webster would’ve got there first.

So no, with blue tinted specs.

(But I wish Dunk had just cleared it upfield a second earlier. Such a dangerous place when being pressed. Half asleep).

I think it was 50:50 too, so by that reckoning it’s not a clear goal scoring opportunity, right? Or am I misinterpreting this law?

paulfuzz

Apr 17, 2019
Kings Lynn
It was against Manure at Old Trafford....... Dunk was clumsy and Elanga was clever, I reckon he would have got a shot off but Webster would have closed off part of the goal, so was it a goal scoring opportunity?? possibly is that enough for a red??
VAR said yes..............of course!!

If ref had given red straight away, I’d have accepted it. But it wasn’t a clear and obvious error to give yellow, so Dunk should have stayed on the pitch

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
If you're going to send someone off and ruin a game, then the decision needs to be based on something definite.

With Webster in the equation, and looking favourite to intercept, that decision was based purely on conjecture. There's no way on earth the pleb at Stockley Park could say for certain Elanga was in on goal - the ball had gone.

It was a sickening intervention that should never have happened. Utterly pathetic from the officials all round, and I guarantee if it was up the other end with Maguire, 100% the yellow would have stood. No two ways about it. We got mugged.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Yes, the records will show that it was. The question is not whether it was a red or not - the fact is it was borderline red/yellow - but whether there was enough 'clear and obvious' for the prat at Stockley Park to decide, 'Ooh goody, I've got a chance to be important here'.

There wasn't enough 'clear and obvious' - the on-field decision (right or wrong) should have stood.

Escatly.

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
If ref had given red straight away, I’d have accepted it. But it wasn’t a clear and obvious error to give yellow, so Dunk should have stayed on the pitch

So we got shafted twice here:

1. It has to be a "clear cut goal scoring opportunity" for it to be a red (it wasn't).

2. For VAR to overturn the ref's decision said ref has to have made "a clear and obvious error" (he hadn't).

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
In real time, I thought it was a red. I was simultaneously surprised, relieved and pleased when the yellow came out.

But as others have said, it wasn't clear and obvious that the referee's on-field decision was wrong.

Thus it should have remained a yellow.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Who the f*ck are these (currently) 5 banjo's who ACTUALLY think that this was a straight red ?

Are the dribbling semi-conscious hemispherectomy DILBERTS from the BBS away end flocking onto this poll or something ?

Christ up a stick.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Exactly. If the ref. had given a red, it wouldn't have been appropriate for VAR to poke its nose in (although obviously as a Brighton fan I'd have loved it if the VAR had overturned it). But that's not what VAR should be about.
VAR should be about 'For f*cks sake mate, how did you give/not give that?' Not for, 'hmmm .. that could've gone either way'.

Last edited:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Who the f*ck are these (currently) 5 banjo's who ACTUALLY think that this was a straight red ?

Are the dribbling semi-conscious hemispherectomy DILBERTS from the BBS away end flocking onto this poll or something ?

Christ up a stick.

They know more about football than Potter does mate. We should be giving 'em more respect, eh? :facepalm: :wink:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
It was a red.

And I rather think that had the foul be reversed there might be a few threads that needed merging. 'United always get it their way' etc.

He would have been through for a clear shot. Webster was unlikely to get there in time.

I'm a banjo.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
It was against Manure at Old Trafford....... Dunk was clumsy and Elanga was clever, I reckon he would have got a shot off but Webster would have closed off part of the goal, so was it a goal scoring opportunity?? possibly is that enough for a red??
VAR said yes..............of course!!

That makes it a goal scoring opportunity.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
They know more about football than Potter does mate. We should be giving 'em more respect, eh? :facepalm: :wink:

Well I've not delved into their tragic, gruesome little cess-pool for some considerable time now. But they do routinely consider that they are spewing from the fountain of all knowledge, despite the fact that tragically they barely have 6 braincells between them to rub together. Say anything on there and its generally met with "Lewis Dunk is a sex offender", etc etc, which kind of indicates their true level.

They don't even know that they are filth. But on a lighter note - thats not our problem :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here