Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Priest's baptisms declared invalid due to his changing one word

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/a...-he-changed-one-word/ar-AATSLw5?ocid=msedgntp

All baptisms performed by Phoenix priest invalid because he changed one word

A priest resigned earlier this month after his diocese discovered the baptisms he had performed were invalid because he had changed a single word while performing the sacrament.

"It is with sincere pastoral concern that I inform the faithful that baptisms performed by Reverend Andres Arango, a priest of the Diocese of Phoenix, are invalid," Bishop of the Diocese of Phoenix Thomas J. Olmsted announced in a letter last month.

"This determination was made after careful study by diocesan officials and through consultation with the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith in Rome," he wrote.

Arango, who has been practicing as a priest for more than two decades, used the phrase “We baptize you in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit," instead of "I baptize you in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit."

"The issue with using 'We' is that it is not the community that baptizes a person, rather, it is Christ, and Him alone, who presides at all of the sacraments, and so it is Christ Jesus who baptizes," Olmsted said.

Couldn't they have said the word "we" means Christ and those involved in the gathering, priest, pope, archbishop, bishop, alter boys, etc.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Who gives a toss - religion is daft, stupid and for easily led morons that can be brainwashed. I've got a unicorn and some magic beans for sale if anyone wants them.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Who gives a toss - religion is daft, stupid and for easily led morons that can be brainwashed. I've got a unicorn and some magic beans for sale if anyone wants them.

I believe the same but in the end they have put a great deal of stress on people who now believe they are going to hell or that their relatives/mates went to hell.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
erm, their explaination at least is bollocks. its the priest who performs the baptism, on behalf of the boss "in the name of the father, the son...", the son being Jesus. who we will recall was baptised by John, not by himself just petty bureaucracy.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
There was a big dispute over this in what we used to call the Dark Ages, when the Latin of your local parish priest was likely to be rather....indifferent.
Then the conclusion was that the baptism wad efficacious even if the grammar was wrong.

I'm not sure what changed.... but the old ones were onto something, I think.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
I believe.......that everyone is entitled to believe in a god

no matter how backward an archaic that belief is. But, if it gets them through life then go for it

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Just me or if Jesus and Jesus alone can baptise then wouldn't "I baptise ..." Be equally wrong? Surely for this to make any sense the words should be "He baptises..."

I mean, obviously all just talking to imaginary friends, but if you are going to that f**king pedantic, at least be f**king pedantic AND correct.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I believe.......that everyone is entitled to believe in a god

no matter how backward an archaic that belief is. But, if it gets them through life then go for it

Yes and no.

I don’t have an issue with religion per se but I find it quite repulsive when politicians hide behind it to make controversial votes. JRM and David Amess are/were two examples of this. It’s cowardly. At least have the guts to own your decision and not blame it on the Bible.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
They could of just let things go…….their not doing there reputation any good being so pedantic

:facepalm:

Are you a priest as well?

Edit: We think we have been wooooshed.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

Well, there’s narrow and intolerant and ignorant.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Just me or if Jesus and Jesus alone can baptise then wouldn't "I baptise ..." Be equally wrong? Surely for this to make any sense the words should be "He baptises..."

I mean, obviously all just talking to imaginary friends, but if you are going to that f**king pedantic, at least be f**king pedantic AND correct.

Beat me to it. The bishop is obviously a complete ignoramus as far as grammar is concerned. If it is Christ doing the baptism (which, I grant you, takes a pretty big leap of faith in itself!) then the correct word is 'he' - but why would Christ baptise someone in the name of, inter alia, himself ('the son')? Makes no sense.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
There was a big dispute over this in what we used to call the Dark Ages, when the Latin of your local parish priest was likely to be rather....indifferent.
Then the conclusion was that the baptism wad efficacious even if the grammar was wrong.

I'm not sure what changed.... but the old ones were onto something, I think.

think some of the reformist dont even care who does it, let alone the exact wording.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here