Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Who's that man from Argentina - Neal Maupay!?!

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
AN ALBION star is eyeing a nationality switch despite making 35 appearances for the French youth teams.

Neal Maupay has reportedly put in a personal request to Argentina boss Lionel Scaloni to consider selecting him for the national team.

The Brighton and Hove Albion striker is eligible for Argentina as his mother was born in the city of Bernal and gained citizenship aged 18.

Maupay, who has scored nine goals this season, has represented France a total of 35 times across various youth level, but has never made the senior squad.

The 25-year-old has reportedly discussed the proposed nationality switch with Brighton team-mate and Argentina international Alexis Mac Allister.

"With Alexis we group together, and we have a great friendship,” he told La Nacion.

"On his last call to the national team I told him to talk to the coach about me, to tell him that there is a French nationalised Argentine who wants to play there."

https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/19924935.albions-french-star-neal-maupay-eyes-argentina-call-up/

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Can just picture him cupping his ears to the home crowd having scored a last minute equaliser against Brazil in the Maracana.

:lol:

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Competing for a place up front in that team, won't be much easier than it is for France.

Lautaro, Dybala, Correa, Icardi, Gonzales, probably all knocking around for the world cup

Plenty of competition for a striker spot.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I wouldnt be surprised to see Maupay getting called up soon if he continues like he has so far. 14-15 goals in the PL is almost a guarantee to let you play for your national team.

France and Argentina (when it comes to attackers) are obviously two of the most difficult teams to get called up to.

He definitely has some relation to Argentina beyond just a citizenship - his favorite player/role model is Carlos Tevez and his favorite club is Boca Juniors and if I remember it right (from the night I spent reading old Maupay interviews from his time in France) he has also gone there quite frequently.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here