Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Offers] O/T help with students studying ancient history/drama or Romans/Greeks

scamander

Aug 9, 2011
Hi all,

Bit of an odd one here so bear with me. My workplace has been freeing up days for volunteering so I thought I'd put the word out here. For several years I have visited Hertford Juniors and helped out on the Roman week for the Year 3s (I'm the chap in Roman armour who does a talk). A few years ago I also took a day off and did the same at Bevendean. If you did the Rise Hero run and saw a bloke walking in Roman armour that was me (and extra credit if you shouted out a quote from Life of Brian at me!).

The thing is I have also done talks for students sitting their A Levels in Greek theatre(I did this at Worthing College for the drama class who always had a question about Greek theatre). So I have worked with all ages and across a number of topics.

My background is a degree and MA in Classical Civilisation, so I can help out at schools or colleges which have topics on Greece and Rome and where teachers might welcome a speaker or someone to support on a topic. I podcast and write on the topics (my website is ancientblogger.com) so I like to think I can be useful if you have someone at a college or school and their teacher/class could do with some support.

Everything I do is free, so I wouldn't charge, though may need a lift if I'm in full Roman kit. In any case if you think the above is relevant and a school or class could do with some extra help feel free to mention me or get in touch here.

Btw - I'm also happy to help out with any revision or homework (with the obvious caveat of the parent being the main point of contact - my o/h was a teacher so well aware of safeguarding).

Anyway, appreciate the above might seem bizarre, but perhaps it might be of some help somewhere.

cheers
Neil

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Hi all,

Bit of an odd one here so bear with me. My workplace has been freeing up days for volunteering so I thought I'd put the word out here. For several years I have visited Hertford Juniors and helped out on the Roman week for the Year 3s (I'm the chap in Roman armour who does a talk). A few years ago I also took a day off and did the same at Bevendean. If you did the Rise Hero run and saw a bloke walking in Roman armour that was me (and extra credit if you shouted out a quote from Life of Brian at me!).

The thing is I have also done talks for students sitting their A Levels in Greek theatre(I did this at Worthing College for the drama class who always had a question about Greek theatre). So I have worked with all ages and across a number of topics.

My background is a degree and MA in Classical Civilisation, so I can help out at schools or colleges which have topics on Greece and Rome and where teachers might welcome a speaker or someone to support on a topic. I podcast and write on the topics (my website is ancientblogger.com) so I like to think I can be useful if you have someone at a college or school and their teacher/class could do with some support.

Everything I do is free, so I wouldn't charge, though may need a lift if I'm in full Roman kit. In any case if you think the above is relevant and a school or class could do with some extra help feel free to mention me or get in touch here.

Btw - I'm also happy to help out with any revision or homework (with the obvious caveat of the parent being the main point of contact - my o/h was a teacher so well aware of safeguarding).

Anyway, appreciate the above might seem bizarre, but perhaps it might be of some help somewhere.

cheers
Neil

Brilliant.

I'm always intrigued by all that stuff. I expect you already know this, but there is an enclave on the Croatian coast who still speak Latin of sorts, and quite a large area of southern Italy, who still speak a form of ancient Greek. If you have any other info on these, or others, or links to them, I would very much like to hear it. Thanks in advance and good luck with your endeavours.

MJsGhost

Remembers
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Hi all,

cheers
Neil

I have absolutely nothing to add to the subject of this thread but just wanted to say that posts like this are one of the reasons I keep coming back to NSC. Such a varied and interesting bunch! :)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Hi all,

cheers
Neil

Good work. I dont have much to add other than I love things like this and I'd love to go for a beer and natter with you, in full Roman armour, down the pub.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Brilliant.

I'm always intrigued by all that stuff. I expect you already know this, but there is an enclave on the Croatian coast who still speak Latin of sorts

Romanian is very similar to Latin - as I discovered when I found that I could understand a big chunk of a Romanian newspaper

scamander

Aug 9, 2011
Brilliant.

I'm always intrigued by all that stuff. I expect you already know this, but there is an enclave on the Croatian coast who still speak Latin of sorts, and quite a large area of southern Italy, who still speak a form of ancient Greek. If you have any other info on these, or others, or links to them, I would very much like to hear it. Thanks in advance and good luck with your endeavours.

I wasn't aware of the Croatian enclave, southern Italy and its links to Greece is very interesting. Many of the cities in southern Italy were originally Greek colonies, when Rome started expanding south it incorporated some of these colonies but they stayed true to their roots and kept a lot of their Greek heritage.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
I'd love to go for a beer and natter with you, in full Roman armour, down the pub.

It would be a great night.

Whenever Neil orders and holds up 2 fingers, you'd end up with 5 beers.

scamander

Aug 9, 2011
Romanian is very similar to Latin - as I discovered when I found that I could understand a big chunk of a Romanian newspaper

Yep - Dacia covered what was much of modern day Romania. If you have a penchant for scary weaponry look up the falx. Unsure I'd want one of those coming at me even with a full kit on.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
One thing I learned from my son who studied GCSE ancient history, was how the lions behaved in the amphitheatre. They quite often approached a slave, injured gladiator etc, smelled them, and then, just like a cat, thought 'Urrgh, I'm not eating that' and walked off. If this happened, to appease the disappointed crowd, the owner of the lion was killed instead.

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
A mate of mine introduced a classical studies GCSE at his comprehensive. He claims the only state school to do so. Learnt everything I know on the subject from G. E. M De Ste Croix and visiting what my wife refers to as old rocks in hot fields across what was once Lydia/Asia hence my daughter's names Lydia and Asya. Keep up the good work.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here