Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] New Royal Mail Bar-Coded Stamps

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Makes sense. Counterfeit stamps are a big problem. Had a few things off eBay where people have used them [emoji849]

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
An unnecessary gimmick or the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Not sure barcodes are a gimmick, I'm just surprised it's taken them this long to catch up.

I print all my postage at home - with barcode.

As much as I miss the old school charm of a post office with their pens on chains and arguments at the money exchange counter it's much easier.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
bit gimmicky. not convinced there is much in the way of security and easily reproduced code can provide, tracability so you know post facto there were some fakes. might help with items getting lost, know the last place in the system they were, requires people to scan their stamps before sending.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth

8434713B-4D7C-4F52-BDBA-F7E76781107F.jpeg

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
It's going to make my stamp album look a bit crap.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
They are quite big stamps I think
They are huge. Just makes writing postcards even more difficult.

Postcards - thing of the past I hear you all say. Surprisingly not, my local bookshop have sold about 1,000 in the last 18 months (I know, because they ordered some more from me).

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
They are huge. Just makes writing postcards even more difficult.

Postcards - thing of the past I hear you all say. Surprisingly not, my local bookshop have sold about 1,000 in the last 18 months (I know, because they ordered some more from me).
Hmmm those postards though, are they for writing on and then sending? or being purchased by collectors. There are a lot of Deltiologists out there, (postcard collectors to you and me).

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Word to the wise. Trotted to my local Post Office last week to swap mine. 'Sorry mate' with a cheery smile. You can only swap them at the Royal Mail. :facepalm:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
They're shite. A book of stamps used to fit in nicely in that little wallet that held your raicard, bus pass, driving licence and bank card etc.. Now it doesn't - so gets dog-eared somewhere else in your pockets or is left lying around so that when you want it you can't find it. Bollocks.
Should nave kept the size the same and stuck the squiggly thing in the corner (if they had to have the squiggly thing in the first place).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here