Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] Picking Up at Gatwick

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Daughter is off on her first holiday without us and I’ve offered to pick her up on her return to Gatwick. I note the cost of the pick up area is £5 for 10mins then £1 per min, there’s short stay parking at about £15 or long stay free for 2 hours with a 5min shuttle bus - which is what I’m thinking of doing as I’m tight! Any other brilliant off the radar suggestions that I might have missed?

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Daughter is off on her first holiday without us and I’ve offered to pick her up on her return to Gatwick. I note the cost of the pick up area is £5 for 10mins then £1 per min, there’s short stay parking at about £15 or long stay free for 2 hours with a 5min shuttle bus - which is what I’m thinking of doing as I’m tight! Any other brilliant off the radar suggestions that I might have missed?

Has this changed since Covid?

I used to wait at the petrol station near the exit for a call and then pick up at the drop off.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Train, and the auto-rail shuttle thingy between the terminals and the railway station?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

I used to wait at the petrol station near the exit for a call and then pick up at the drop off.

£5+ drop off charge.

Do the long stay thing is probably best / only free option

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018

Could always pop in to the Hilton (for directions) on the south terminal or use the facilities at KFC or MacDonalds just around the corner?

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

Assuming you are travelling up from the coast, pull into the lay-by on the East Grinstead Road junction before Gatwick facing back towards the M23, tell your daughter to text you the minute she clears customs, you then set off and by the time she has arrived at the drop off point opposite the Premier Inn you will just be pulling into the drop off zone, then you only pay £5.

Tell her to head straight there mind, no little stops at M & S, I do this method at least twice a week and works every time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Shorehamseagull

Dec 23, 2019
Driving through is ANPR and automatic £5!

Long stay is best bet however it’s only North Terminal at the moment so a slightly longer shuttle bus to/from the airport

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Can't you drive straight through to the terminal any more? I used to wait by the hotels until I got a call to pickup and then drive straight through, collect and drive off.

You can still but there is a £5 charge for using the drop off/pick up area now. If you don't want to pay then it's the long stay car park and the passenger gets the shuttle bus.

As for the OP if you need to wait/kill some time the MacDonalds by the south terminal is an option. Customers can park for 40 minutes (I think) so pop in and get a coffee while waiting for the text.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo

Last time I used it I went online to pay and it said payment failed so I kept retrying and got payment failed each time. Checked my banking app and I'd been charged 4 times! Cheeky sods. Emailed them and got it refunded but can imagine others might not bother for the sake of £5 or £10.

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
I've always used the free parking option plus the shuttle bus from the terminal. Incidentally Unless there have been recent changes, there is a similar system at Stansted.

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
I've always used the free parking option plus the shuttle bus from the terminal. Incidentally Unless there have been recent changes, there is a similar system at Stansted.

Yes, it's the mid-term car park that has the free pickup/drop off area and shuttle bus at Stansted.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA

Is there not a mobile phone car park (in America called a cell phone lot) where you sit in your car until your person calls you and then you go in to pick them up? Almost every US Airport has one.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley

Long stay is best bet however it’s only North Terminal at the moment so a slightly longer shuttle bus to/from the airport

That's not true. I know this for a fact

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Thanks for all the helpful replies, not a piss take amoung them, very unNSC! :lolol:

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
We hung around in the petrol station area, waited for the call that they were definitely outside the north terminal by the departures lane, then whizzed round to pick up for free.

Need to be sharpish with the case etc, stewards lingering.

Last edited:

Shorehamseagull

Dec 23, 2019
That's not true. I know this for a fact

A minimum £5 charge now applies to use the designated drop off zone in both North and South Terminals.

Payment must be made by midnight the day after the visit to drop off passengers at the forecourt.

New number plate-reading camera technology, barrier-free traffic flow and easy payment options are in place to enable easy airport drop offs without the need to locate change or your wallet. Simply pay at your convenience using one of our many payment methods.

https://www.gatwickairport.com/to-and-from/picking-up-dropping-off/

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
If it's not too late, only free option is the Long Stay car park. You get two hours free parking.
From the M23 the car park is well sign posted but basically it is past both terminals.
Dropping off - drive in to the car park and drop passengers off at the first bus stop.
Collecting - park up just off the M23 somewhere and get them to call as they leave the aircraft. Then drive to the car park and await their arrival. Arrange which bus stop you wait at as there are many.
Shuttle bus runs every few minutes so little waiting.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here