Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Teams we've never finished above

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
I promise I've searched for this as I'm sure I've seen it elsewehere! What sides have we never finished above? Our best ever finish of 13th saw Liverpool, Ipswich, Spurs, Arsenal, Swansea, Southampton, Everton, West Ham, Man Utd, City, Villa and Forest finish above us. We can get rid of Ipswich, Swansea, Villa, Southampton, West Ham and Forest off the top of my head. I'm sure Man City must have finished below us at some point? Leaves Liverpool, Spurs, Arsenal, Everton, Man Utd and potentially Man City. All pretty dull stuff I know but something I've been wondering about lately!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
FFS people we only beat Watford.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I think there’s only one team we care about finishing above this season. It’s been a while…

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I think there’s only one team we care about finishing above this season. It’s been a while…

They are currently one place above our highest ever position, they are having a good season by their standards. It will be an almighty challenge pulling this off.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Maybe, but that kind of routine despatching of a relegation threatened team away from home is the kind of thing that only top end teams find straightforward

There are moaners on here when we don’t beat relegation threatened teams and when we do it’s passed off as no big deal by some.. I guess some look for a negative in everything in life. :shrug:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
FFS people we only beat Watford.

Tosh my friend.

I was thinking about it yesterday. It would be nice to chalk Everton off this year. The others will take a little longer.

I think the most recent chalk off was Accrington Stanley...

As regards best seasons. That should be done pro-rata for accuracy.

We need 48 points for that.

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
Why are you using teenage internet slang when you've been registered on here for almost twenty years? :sick:

I first registered when I was 6 months old.

Seriously though, is 'not that deep' really teenage slang? I thought it was fairly common saying.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Maybe, but that kind of routine despatching of a relegation threatened team away from home is the kind of thing that only top end teams find straightforward

Very true, it was great.

The second double of the season and we're still only in February.
Another potential just around the corner.
Cementing top 10 ten credentials.
Above palace

Why though, on the back of a clinical performance against a really poor side, does all that greatness have to be brushed aside in a deluge of Europe, Utd and 'please love the season'.

After Leeds/Newcastle the above looked a long way off with justifiable boos in the stadium.
The usual suspects where desperate to walk Mr Bloom back from his 'top 10' comment.

What is so bad with celebrating the here and now?

I guess I'm negative because I'm really happy about what's actually happening instead of what might (OR MIGHT NOT) happen.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Very true, it was great.

The second double of the season and we're still only in February.
Another potential just around the corner.
Cementing top 10 ten credentials.
Above palace

Why though, on the back of a clinical performance against a really poor side, does all that greatness have to be brushed aside in a deluge of Europe, Utd and 'please love the season'.

After Leeds/Newcastle the above looked a long way off with justifiable boos in the stadium.
The usual suspects where desperate to walk Mr Bloom back from his 'top 10' comment.

What is so bad with celebrating the here and now?

I guess I'm negative because I'm really happy about what's actually happening instead of what might (OR MIGHT NOT) happen.

Yeah, celebrate the here and now, but back in the Championship, when we were about 10 goals worse off on GD than Boro, I am not sure we would have won 5-0 against Norwich, and 4-0 against QPR if the team didn't have a little shufty at the table and see that GD as potentially the only thing between us and them going up.
I want the team looking at the table now and saying "we have given ourselves a chance, we can do this" and aiming for the next rung up, not looking at it and thinking "were safe now, we can ease up a bit". I don't see how dreaming and seeing a possibility of something greater than what is expected of you is a bad thing, no one is going to be gutted if we finish 9th, but why not hope for even better?

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005
You forgot Leeds. I was of the impression no one ever finished above Leeds as those seasons don't count.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yeah, celebrate the here and now, but back in the Championship, when we were about 10 goals worse off on GD than Boro, I am not sure we would have won 5-0 against Norwich, and 4-0 against QPR if the team didn't have a little shufty at the table and see that GD as potentially the only thing between us and them going up.
I want the team looking at the table now and saying "we have given ourselves a chance, we can do this" and aiming for the next rung up, not looking at it and thinking "were safe now, we can ease up a bit". I don't see how dreaming and seeing a possibility of something greater than what is expected of you is a bad thing, no one is going to be gutted if we finish 9th, but why not hope for even better?

If you think these players will "ease up a bit" you're more deluded than those that aren't happy with what they've got.

It all seems very tin pot.
Finally win a game and we're off to Europe!

European form is 7 points from the next 3.
A surprise win by Bumley and they'll be no hoping for better.

None of this nonsense will be on page one.
It'll be replaced by Junior and his henchmen spouting the same bollox, just heading in the other direction.

At least I'll still be happy, top 10, no relegation and above palace.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here