Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton & Union Saint Gilloise

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I’m right in thinking we cannot both be in the same UEFA competition at the same point, correct?

Appreciate this could easily look like a silly thread, but should the unthinkable happen and we finish 7th in a season where USG are also in Europa Conference league…what would happen?

Or same question but Europa League. We probably don’t need to worry about Champions League…

My understanding was that RB Leipzig and RB Salzburg weren’t allowed in the same competition until RB sold controlling stake in one of the two, Salzburg I believe it was.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Get beaten by Bumley and it won't be an issue!

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I’m right in thinking we cannot both be in the same UEFA competition at the same point, correct?

Appreciate this could easily look like a silly thread, but should the unthinkable happen and we finish 7th in a season where USG are also in Europa Conference league…what would happen?

Or same question but Europa League. We probably don’t need to worry about Champions League…

My understanding was that RB Leipzig and RB Salzburg weren’t allowed in the same competition until RB sold controlling stake in one of the two, Salzburg I believe it was.

Both Red Bull clubs are still owned by Red Bull GmbH and have played against each other in European competitions. Like us and RUSG they have separate boards and chairmen, we should have no issues playing in Europe at the same time, should both of us qualify.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Both Red Bull clubs are still owned by Red Bull GmbH and have played against each other in European competitions. Like us and RUSG they have separate boards and chairmen, we should have no issues playing in Europe at the same time, should both of us qualify.

It’s how I see it. Bloom is an investor and not a lot more else when it comes to things on paper.

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
Not likely, if USG finish as Champions which is looking more and more likely, they'll qualify straight into Champions league group stages (last 32 teams)

Edit* I see you discounted CL but USG are almost certainly going to be In it next season

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Not likely, if USG finish as Champions which is looking more and more likely, they'll qualify straight into Champions league group stages (last 32 teams)

Edit* I see you discounted CL but USG are almost certainly going to be In it next season

Far from certain, they need to be number one after the playoffs as well.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

Even if USG get a Champions League spot, going out in the early rounds puts you in the Europa League I believe.

Edit: Finishing third in the group stage of CL would shunt them into last 32 Knockout stage of Europa, finishing 3rd in the Belgian league would put them in CL third qualifiying round and losing there would put them in the last 48 group stage of Europa

Last edited:

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
Big article in the Sunday Times (behind paywall) so can't share about the "Belgium Leicester".
Lots on how the club is run and organised. Suggests that Bloom doesn't get involved at all, and indeed rarely watches live, even though they were specifically chosen because of ease of access between London and Brussels.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Oct 4, 2003
As it currently stands, they’ll would start the playoffs with a very healthy 5 point advantage.

Club Brugge went into the playoffs last season with an 8 point advantage over their nearest rivals and very nearly blew it. They finished level on points with Genk (who they had a 10 pt advantage over) and only won the play offs thanks to them topping the regular season table.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
can someone explain the belgium league play offs? Seems strange that you can win the league easily but then fail to win the league?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
can someone explain the belgium league play offs? Seems strange that you can win the league easily but then fail to win the league?
The top 4 go into a new mini-league at the end of the league season. They carry half of their existing points with them. The champion is the winner of the mini-league.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
The top 4 go into a new mini-league at the end of the league season. They carry half of their existing points with them. The champion is the winner of the mini-league.

Thank you- i see they have only 18 teams in the first division, so it brings them up to the same number of games the rest of europe play. It seems a strange way of doing it though, anyone know how and why it came about?

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Oct 4, 2003
Thank you- i see they have only 18 teams in the first division, so it brings them up to the same number of games the rest of europe play. It seems a strange way of doing it though, anyone know how and why it came about?

The idea was to increase the number of times the best teams in the league played each other with the theory that it would better prepare those sides to face the best in Europe and hopefully mean Belgian sides got further in those European competitions.

How many games in the mini league, 3 or 6?

6 games, they play each other home and away.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I wonder if the USG sporting director - Chris O'Loughlin - is in the frame for Ashworth's job.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Decent article in Sunday Times today-

227c3125e1e72c93dc42cad9f8fe6c6a.jpg

a50f77938fb5adf1c916428db20dbb51.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here