Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Bit keen but... what positions make Europe?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Imagine this place if we'd beaten a team who'd kept their last clean sheet just 5 managers ago.

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
Technically 7th - League Cup Winner and FA Cup Winner = Europea League, 5th Place = Europa Conference. As LCF is Liverpool v Chelsea that’s an additional league place. As Boreham Wood will win FA Cup that’s only 6 places in league!!

Now what happens if West Ham finish 5th and win Europa League they would get a European Champions League and Man Utd finish 6th and win Champions League does that mean 5 or 6 In Champions League meaning 9th place gets in Europe ?

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Technically 7th - League Cup Winner and FA Cup Winner = Europea League, 5th Place = Europa Conference. As LCF is Liverpool v Chelsea that’s an additional league place. As Boreham Wood will win FA Cup that’s only 6 places in league!!

Now what happens if West Ham finish 5th and win Europa League they would get a European Champions League and Man Utd finish 6th and win Champions League does that mean 5 or 6 In Champions League meaning 9th place gets in Europe ?
Unless they have changed the rules since Burnley had the same questions (they probably have changed the rules!) 5 is the max in the CL and 7 is the max in both competitions combined. So in your scenario, as I understand it, the CL places would go to 1st 2nd 3rd £est Ham and Man U, and the Europa places would go to 4th and 7th.

But as I say, they may have changed the rules.

Thanks for beating Watford! :albion2:???

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Unless they have changed the rules since Burnley had the same questions (they probably have changed the rules!) 5 is the max in the CL and 7 is the max in both competitions combined. So in your scenario, as I understand it, the CL places would go to 1st 2nd 3rd £est Ham and Man U, and the Europa places would go to 4th and 7th.

Isn't there that other competition as well?

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Isn't there that other competition as well?
You're right. Lord knows who qualifies for that. Maybe they go back to the "fair play league" winners like they did back in the day. Or toss a coin.

Or it could be something like 8th and 9th, I suppose.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

Didn't Burnley nearly get relegated the season they played in Europe? Like the extra games put a lot of pressure on the squad.

Or am I imagining that?

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Didn't Burnley nearly get relegated the season they played in Europe? Like the extra games put a lot of pressure on the squad.

Or am I imagining that?
It was the first year of the Chairman saving all the profits for himself instead of strengthening the squad, and I think Dyche made one of his few mistakes by lettng the players know the squad wasn't good enough to do well with Europe as well as the league. If you tell people they can't run through a particular wall, they aren't going to try.

We were bottom at Christmas but went on a good run (18 points in 8 games) and finished comfortably safe. Just like this year, in fact. :thumbsup::cheers::bounce: :flypig:

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
One game at a time and all that, but what positions qualify for Europe places this season?

Champions League top 4 but what about the rest please?

Not always will the top 4 get CL qualification, if PL clubs hold the titles for Champions league and Europa league, and both those clubs finish outside the top 4 in the Premier League, only the top 3 and the two clubs holding titles will qualify for CL, 4th would go into the Europa League.

This year, 5th place would qualify for Europa League, unless 5th is Chelsea, who as holders of the CL title would play in the CL with the clubs finishing in the top 4.
Winner of the FA cup qualifies for Europa league, unless they are otherwise qualified for Champions League, or Europa League, in which case their spot would go to whoever finishes 6th, unless 6th is Chelsea, in which case it would go to 7th.

Winner of Caraboa cup qualifies for Europa Conference League, except that will be Liverpool or Chelsea this year, so that spot will probably go to 7th

So most likely;
top 4 Champions League
5th Europa League
6th - Europa League because the FA Cup Winner is probably in the top 5
7th - Europa Conference because the League Cup winner is probably in the top 5/6

The only unlikely but not unthinkable possible wrinkle this season is if the FA cup is won by a side outside the top 5, in which case 6th would get the Conference spot, and 7th nothing.

If somehow Chelsea were to finish 5th though, and the cups both go to top 5 teams, I think we end up with 6th and 7th as Europa League spots and 8th is Europa conference. But I am not sure.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Before we get properly into anything Europe related we have to BEAT manure not get a draw. 9th definitely isn’t enough and I thought a max of 7 English teams were allowed into Europe whatever happens so we have to jump manure AND have someone else slip up whilst we improve on our first half of season, against a tougher schedule.

Fingers crossed though and could well happen since we don’t have cup and Euro distractions.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Before we get properly into anything Europe related we have to BEAT manure not get a draw. 9th definitely isn’t enough and I thought a max of 7 English teams were allowed into Europe whatever happens so we have to jump manure AND have someone else slip up whilst we improve on our first half of season, against a tougher schedule.

Fingers crossed though and could well happen since we don’t have cup and Euro distractions.

Nuts isn't it?

The team has finally lifted itself above its perennial 17th position, in its 5th EPL season.
GPott seems to have finally found his groove after some woeful performance just 2-3 months ago.
The renaissance has been happened on back of 'luck' finally going the Albion's way (not a criticism).
Beaten a Watford side who genuinely couldn't string 2 passes together.

Finally snap the run of 1-1's, late goals, and a car crash in the cup and boom:-

3 threads about next season's European campaign.
A timely and needy 'please tell me how much you love this season'. (after a win)
Toppling the absolute basket case that is Utd.

I for one am very happy to be in the top 10.
No chance of relegation.
&
Currently above palace.

I'm also disappointed to be out of the FA Cup, esp by the manner in which that happened.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham

Or am I imagining that?

They barely even left British soil, I thought their European Tour saw them squeeze past Aberdeen before being knocked out by Olympiakos before the end of August.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
They barely even left British soil, I thought their European Tour saw them squeeze past Aberdeen before being knocked out by Olympiakos before the end of August.

My biggest fear - not for next season.

Our first European adventure and we'll draw Haverfordwest County.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
15 games left and 9 are against the top 8.

No chance. We need 31 points from those games. So means have to win all non top 8 games and win v against top 8 from 9 of those.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

usernamed

Aug 31, 2017
I’m loving the way we’re playing atm, and this is obviously our best season so far, but we’re not Europe ready.

My personal feeling (and I’d be happy if I was wrong) is that we’re not going to get through this season without at least one more mini-run of frustrating results.

Our players aren’t the finished article, many are works in progress, not in their skill, but in consistency. League position tells us we’re going the right way, but I’m expecting to have my weekend ruined at least a few more times between now and May.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Apr 30, 2013
It's grim oop north
15 games left and 9 are against the top 8.

No chance. We need 31 points from those games. So means have to win all non top 8 games and win v against top 8 from 9 of those.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hear you but we also play better against better teams that attack us compared to a watford or burnley where we seem to struggle to unlock their 10-0-0 formation

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
Financially and the 'privilege' and experience of playing in Europe would be great but in reality the extra games with a small squad would probably be more detrimental to our Premier League season. So not sure I would want us to play in Europe unless we heavily invest in squad depth tbh.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here