Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Microwave recommendations

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
Hi,

My mums microwave has gone up in smoke (literally :eek:) and she wants to get a new one.

Anyone got any that they can either recommend or suggest avoiding?

Thanks! :thumbsup:

Z

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Julian Huxley said you should have a tin foil hat to avoid the microwaves. That is my recommendation.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Honestly... I spent a grand on a Miele 'free-standing' and it was no better than the £150 Panasonic one it replaced... Thank goodness the Miele went wrong and I returned it for a refund.

I bought a 'Smeg' one in the AO Sale for £399, which again is no better than the £150 Panasonic it replaced.

So, in conclusion your honour, don't be a knobhead like me and get seduced by prestige names thinking you're 'all that'.. :( A basic model in a mainstream brand with a long guarantee and you're cooking on.. umm.. a magnetron.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Honestly... I spent a grand on a Miele 'free-standing' and it was no better than the £150 Panasonic one it replaced... Thank goodness the Miele went wrong and I returned it for a refund.

I bought a 'Smeg' one in the AO Sale for £399, which again is no better than the £150 Panasonic it replaced.

So, in conclusion your honour, don't be a knobhead like me and get seduced by prestige names thinking you're 'all that'.. :( A basic model in a mainstream brand with a long guarantee and you're cooking on.. umm.. a magnetron.

You don't even need a mainstream brand or long guarantee. Asda or Tesco own brand is good enough. Cheap and should last a few years. If it goes wrong which they rarely do just buy a new one.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
They are always going wrong, so I will not throw out my old one. 900w wanted, dials? and one that does seconds.

???

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
DeLonghi for our last two. 800w. Easy to use. Not too expensive. Smart black and chrome. 5yrs on the first, 2yrs and counting on the second.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I’ve never seen the point of a microwave. Consequently I’ve never owned one and don’t see any need. This is my recommendation.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
I have a Daewoo that I bought 20 years ago for about £30 and has worked faultlessly ever since. I am a bit worried though that it might be microwaving my head.

Elbow750

Jun 21, 2020
They are always going wrong, so I will not throw out my old one. 900w wanted, dials? and one that does seconds.

???

Haven't had one for a few years but the ones at work are always going wrong and every new one has completely different operating instructions. Drives me mad.

If I had to buy I'd get a cheap one from a good brand like Panasonic, Samsung etc but be prepared to spend ages trying to work out how to turn it on and off. Oh for dials and an on off button.

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
Thanks everyone for the advice - especially about not needing an expensive one which is what I thought :D

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Asda own brand. Very basic, very cheap but going quite happily 5 years on, despite being a bit rusty on the inside now

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Got mine a basic one from Currys as it is quite basic and easy to use. The only problem she has ever had is putting foil in it and, because they are quite inexpensive, it just got replaced.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here