Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Under 30's generation.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Speaking as a parent of 29 and 26 year olds, I think this demographic are in for a tough few months/years.

Since 2008, when the oldest were 16, there's not really been that much financial hardship, for the majority disposal income (or cheap credit facilities) has never really been an issue, but now post Covid, mortgage payments will rise perhaps 3 or 4 times in the next 18 months, energy prices will be going up along with vehicle fuel, as well as food.

Harold Macmillan famously once said "You've never had it so good", I'm sure there are notable exceptions in the NSC/Albion community, but have most youngsters under 30 had a pretty easy ride so far?

The boomers had it ridiculously easy. Our generation down is ****ed.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
They’re overrated and planets crowded enough. Besides climate change means they’re screwed so you’d only be bringing them into a world of pain and misery. You yourself might just be lucky enough to die before the shit really hits the fan. And that’s before China and Russia try to kill is all. Have a nice w/e! [emoji38]ol:
This is what I keep telling all my mates that have all had kids the past couple of years, madness

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Not convinced by those graphs - appear to have some serious flaws. Starting at a date to suit its intentions - it was only in the 50s or 60s, after all, that more than 50% of the entire housing sector was owned by the occupier, and not rented - and then again home ownership shot up in the 1980s when Thatcher flogged off the nation's council housing resources at knock down prices to buy working class votes.
So, OK, let's just look at data since 1995 then, and produce some graphs ................................

Owning your own home before being 30 has literally halved, in 20/30 years, the data is there. I would say 60% of under 30s owning a house was a large number, particularly when your consider less than 80% ever own their own house. :shrug:

That dropping by 50% is very significant IMO.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
This report:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...8QFnoECD4QAQ&usg=AOvVaw2wxH66rjo8AX_eGJfyKrr1

Suggests it has changed quite significantly from ~60% if you were born before 1970, to around 25% if you were born after 1985. That trend is only continuing at the moment too.

View attachment 145003

I have to say, even I'm surprised by that

I’m in the boat rowing, ****em.

But if a train driver from a street full of benefit cheats in West Durrington with a caravan in the front garden believes he is 'in the boat' I think I can see how Governments of the last 50 years have managed to achieve this. I guess having 50% of the electorate more stupid than the average person won't have helped.

Although I don't believe I was party to this, I am sorry for what's happened :down:

Last edited:

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
The boomers had it ridiculously easy. Our generation down is ****ed.

In hindsight, perhaps. But that’s a fabulous thing as they say. Depends what’s on your bucket list and how entrapped by capitalism one is.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
There’s a good chance my daughter will be standing for Labour locally, so blood will always be thicker than politics 👍

Good for her, I wish more of us under-35s would look to change the system to benefit us for a change.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Good for her, I wish more of us under-35s would look to change the system to benefit us for a change.

Yeah as a 32 year old I cant say the situation is much better than for those under 30.

And it appears the problems are exactly the same over there as up here and I'm guessing its the same all over Western Europe (and possibly elsewhere).

In Northern Sweden its a bit easier. Lots of British people moving there as well because they'd earn double of what they'd earn in the UK for the same job. But then you have to live in cold darkness for about 10 months a year.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
This is what I keep telling all my mates that have all had kids the past couple of years, madness

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk

No points awarded but you is right and them is wrong.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It’s not mortgage repayments that are screwing those ‘lucky’ enough to own homes. All non-rich folk in the 60’s and 70’s spent the vast majority of their net pay on housing and grocery costs. There’s data that proves this. Overseas holidays a dream for most, meals out a rarity. A Bernie Inn once or twice a year, if lucky.

The crippling factor now is saving for a vast deposit.

(Unless you’re lucky enough to have been handed that colossal wedge by mum, dad or grandparents. I bet there are loads of affluent nsc’ers who’ve done exactly that.).

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
I have to say, even I'm surprised by that

But if a train driver from a street full of benefit cheats in West Durrington with a caravan in the front garden believes he is 'in the boat' I think I can see how Governments of the last 50 years have managed to achieve this. I guess having 50% of the electorate more stupid than the average person won't have helped.

Although I don't believe I was party to this, I am sorry for what's happened :down:

Life would not be the same without my stalker talking out of his tea towel holder, and to top it all off, a nice edit.
Kettle is on, don’t be a stranger [emoji8]

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
It’s not mortgage repayments that are screwing those ‘lucky’ enough to own homes. All non-rich folk in the 60’s and 70’s spent the vast majority of their net pay on housing and grocery costs. There’s data that proves this. Overseas holidays a dream for most, meals out a rarity. A Bernie Inn once or twice a year, if lucky.

The crippling factor now is saving for a vast deposit.

(Unless you’re lucky enough to have been handed that colossal wedge by mum, dad or grandparents. I bet there are loads of affluent nsc’ers who’ve done exactly that.).

There’s also the reluctance of the banks to give mortgages anymore post-2008. My sister was told by the bank she couldn’t afford a £500 a month mortgage in their view, so she has to keep paying £700 a month in rent.

Joe 90

Sep 16, 2021
If the labour market wasn't flooded with women and people seeking a better life wages would be higher and more people could afford a home, and there would be more homes available, Maybe?

Fritz the Cat

Jan 6, 2022
They've lost two of their most fun years to a pandemic, had far higher university fees that anyone previously, seen wages stagnate and more jobs with less security, have no chance of buying a house, higher rent, etc

Add to that they've got to pay vast amounts of money for high strength IPAs and deal with the worst pop music since the 1950s
'The worst pop music since the 1950s ?! You mean Chuck Berry. Elvis Presley [Sun years - pre dreadful films, fat man Vegas years, Jerry Lee Lewis [the most dynamic white performer ever in my view], Little Richard, Fats Domino, Buddy Holly. The original 50s rock'n'roll was pure dynamite that sent teenagers into a frenzy that only the Beatles could surpass. The songs resonate still today and without them there would have been no Beatles or Stones. They also scared the hell out of the establishment - 'How much is that doggie in the window' was all very well but Little Richard whopping a storm of filth was something altogether different.
If you want to find a decade of corporate inspired nothingness try the 80's - Duran Duran, Spandau Ballet and utterly risible 'hair metal' acts from the US.

Fritz the Cat

Jan 6, 2022
If the labour market wasn't flooded with women and people seeking a better life wages would be higher and more people could afford a home, and there would be more homes available, Maybe?
Quite right ! come on you women - get back in the kitchen [and the bedroom of course]. Don't you know this is a man's, man's world ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here