Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Under 30's generation.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
The Honourable Kirsty Allsopp, daughter of the 6th Baron Hindlip, agrees with you [MENTION=17322]Lenny Rider[/MENTION].

She thinks if they gave up their Netflix subscriptions and didn’t buy ‘posh’ coffee, they could all afford to buy their own houses by the age of 21,like she did.

She’s a deluded, entitled, rich bitch though.

I read some breakdown of that indicating if you gave up most of those niceties you would save an extra £2,000 a year but by that time house prices would have gone up meaning you would need an extra £2,200.00 deposit and therefore £200 worse off than when you started!

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
He's not a mod. He's a mooderator.

The OP thinks the under 30s have had it easy but seems oblivious to ridiculous house prices keeping them off the property ladder. As an example my parents born in 1947 bought their house about 45 years ago for £12,000 while earning £3,000 each. That house is now worth about £350,000, so to have the same ratio a couple would need to earn £87,500 each. My parents had average office jobs that might pay £25k - £30k.

This. And hyper inflation in the late 70s would have diluted the payments. Your parents paid £79,000 in modern money. My parents paid £3000 in 1966 for a three bedroom terraced in Queens Park. That's £60,000 now. They even paid it through an insurance and it was all finished by 1983.

They deserved it though, they were hardworking folk. Just fortunate that they were in a time of abundant housing.

I think the boomers had it best, and many will never see the future shit show.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Speaking as a parent of 29 and 26 year olds, I think this demographic are in for a tough few months/years.

Since 2008, when the oldest were 16, there's not really been that much financial hardship, for the majority disposal income (or cheap credit facilities) has never really been an issue, but now post Covid, mortgage payments will rise perhaps 3 or 4 times in the next 18 months, energy prices will be going up along with vehicle fuel, as well as food.

Harold Macmillan famously once said "You've never had it so good", I'm sure there are notable exceptions in the NSC/Albion community, but have most youngsters under 30 had a pretty easy ride so far?

Yeah, no problems till now, and from here on its all due to covid, just keep voting Tory and it will all be alright Ian.

Jimmehh

Mar 21, 2016
Sussex by the Sea
I'm sure there are notable exceptions in the NSC/Albion community, but have most youngsters under 30 had a pretty easy ride so far?

As someone within this bracket - you're completely blind to reality if this is what you believe...

Rising costs of properties, stagnant wages, enormous university fees, amongst countless other things - it's been far from easy and to say so is madness

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Textbook tosh from you as usual [MENTION=17322]Lenny Rider[/MENTION]. You immediately give away how much of a dinosaur you are by assuming any of this generation have a house to make mortgage payments on. :dunce:

This is fair

I wonder if you realise Ian that you contribute nothing to this forum, to Sussex or frankly the country?

But this is absolutely not fair.

You're replying to a guy who has done a truckload of good for all kinds of causes with his time, effort and cash throughout the Brighton / Worthing / Sussex area, who employs a load of people, to do a good and respectful job for families in their hardest, most vulnerable moments, and who did a great deal for the Albion back in their darkest hour.

By all means take a pop at his tiresome anti-woke / stuck in the 70's / dinosaur drivel, but keep that in perspective against the wider picture.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
As an under 30, 99% of us can’t even dream of affording a mortgage unless they rely on the bank of Mum & Dad

In fact, a lot of us can’t even afford to rent our own place in our own hometowns so I’m glad we’ve had it easy so far.
The bank of mum and dad thing makes me chuckle how many mums and dads have £30k or more expendable cash in the bank? A very low percentage I would imagine.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
The homeless in their 20s in my small town is a staggering 51% of the total age group that in total are homeless, yes Aberystwyth is a University town so I thought it might have been quite high for the youngsters but that percentage is mental.

The age group from 26 to 39 makes up around 45% of London's homeless which again is mind boggling, a lot of these people can't even claim benefits and rely on food banks and hostels if there's a space with a bed for the night.

I can't think of anything worse than bring homeless and it doesn't take much for a person to end up sleeping rough.

Having the luxury of a mortgage before your 30 must be far from the norm nowadays and I can't see that changing any time soon.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Lucky buggers. I wish I was young again.

Hmmm. Not sure that I’d want to go through it all again but glad I have lived when I have. No World wars, good education, one job, seen the Albion in all divisions, been to Wembley with them, great kids and happily retired. Life’s been good and I’m grateful. Time for others to make the most of it.

Joe 90

Sep 16, 2021
I certainly won't be encouraging my sons to go to college or university, a trade will be a much better thing to learn, why work for someone else for a pittance?

I saw the tail end of the boomer generation when I started work in 1999, things like profit sharing, free shares, cheap bank loans (Worked for Lloyds) and a "South East Allowance" (which was money simply for living in the South East) and guaranteed overtime were all benefits they enjoyed, sadly now all but phased out. Saying that though, they did have a much superior work ethic to todays generation, but I suppose they were more grateful and enjoyed a lot more benefits.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Speaking as a parent of 29 and 26 year olds, I think this demographic are in for a tough few months/years.

Since 2008, when the oldest were 16, there's not really been that much financial hardship, for the majority disposal income (or cheap credit facilities) has never really been an issue, but now post Covid, mortgage payments will rise perhaps 3 or 4 times in the next 18 months, energy prices will be going up along with vehicle fuel, as well as food.

Harold Macmillan famously once said "You've never had it so good", I'm sure there are notable exceptions in the NSC/Albion community, but have most youngsters under 30 had a pretty easy ride so far?

Hard to decipher any coherence in your post mate. Are you saying they've had an easy ride or not had an easy ride? Impossible to tell. Tho if you asked the demographic in question they laugh in your face if you said they'd had an easy ride. Same as the same demographic have always said since time immemorial. Them's the rules

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
The bank of mum and dad thing makes me chuckle how many mums and dads have £30k or more expendable cash in the bank? A very low percentage I would imagine.

Probably a higher percentage than you think. There are a lot of people with money. Take a hypothetical couple in their 60s would had reasonably good jobs, mortgage paid off and then inherited money from their homeowning parents. They could easily have £30k+, and it's not too uncommon a scenario.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
But this is absolutely not fair.

You're replying to a guy who has done a truckload of good for all kinds of causes with his time, effort and cash throughout the Brighton / Worthing / Sussex area, who employs a load of people, to do a good and respectful job for families in their hardest, most vulnerable moments, and who did a great deal for the Albion back in their darkest hour.

By all means take a pop at his tiresome anti-woke / stuck in the 70's / dinosaur drivel, but keep that in perspective against the wider picture.

Well said

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
A tough few months or years? This demographic have had it tough from the minute they hit 8-12 years old! Our childhood was surrounded by the illegal Iraq war, fearmongering and 9/11 terrorist shite that pervaded all of society. Then, we grow into puberty and get confronted by the biggest economic collapse in 50 odd years and as teens we then have to deal with the broken homes and stresses this ends up dishing on us in our formative years. But then you get older, and get into the University you always wanted to go to, to study the subject you always wanted! Great! But wait, it's not great because now the degree fields are so over saturated due to such low loan costs that we get to deal with our loans being tripled from 3k to 9k overnight, by a Liberal Democrat party most of us voted for because they tricked us into thinking they'd cut those loans. So now you're on the hook, you deal with the fact that you're starting life almost 50 grand in debt, and with worse job prospects than many generations prior due to everyone and their nan having a degree so you have to rely on the old classic "who you know" method of getting a job. BUT you do get a job, awesome, you can JUST about afford to live in your expensive rental flat that you moved into because while wages have increased marginally in 20 years rental costs have skyrocketed and why not? We have loads of enriched older people who already owned their homes being able to buy another one, and then rent it out for double the value, must be nice!

But why not just buy your own home then, we did, just work hard and get the deposit together and you'll be fine if you stop being so lazy.... Except average house prices rose 152 per cent in the 20 years from 1995 to 2015, while net family income for our generation only grew by 22 per cent, good luck finding that deposit. BUT ITS NOT OVER! Because now, in your mid 20s and the supposed prime of your life the world has been decimated by the pandemic, its YOU that are mostly on the front lines working those "essential worker" jobs, its you that's coming home to an empty flat and quarantine and its now you that after 2 years of this, and giving so much to help will be left with the long term prospect of rising energy prices, food shortages and even MORE rising housing costs with far less freedom than the generations before you due to an EU referendum that was decided so heavily by generations that came before you, leaving you to pick up the pieces. Again.

This isn't a tough few months or years, this is the status quo for the millenial generation and will continue to be so for the foreseeable until we inherit the earth from the elder generations and hopefully we have something left to salvage from it all.

^THIS^ with bells on.

I'm not sure if it's lack of empathy, ignorance, or something more sinister but I do hope the OP reads this post and puts himself in the shoes of the millions experiencing similar challenges.

Maybe your kids have been smart with their choices or lucky [MENTION=3666]lenny[/MENTION]? Maybe you aren't aware of the struggles they & their peers have had? One thing is as sure as sh|t - under 30s have not had an easy ride when it comes to affording somewhere to live.

I count myself as extremely lucky to have gone to uni just as student loans came in and had (compared to now) a relatively small amount owing when I left - about £10k. I would be nowhere near where I am today had I had an additional £30k+ of debt when I graduated, or if the ratio of average wage to average rent was anything like it is now. I wouldn't even care about the wage:house price ratio because it would be an unrealistic pipe dream!

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
The Honourable Kirsty Allsopp, daughter of the 6th Baron Hindlip, agrees with you [MENTION=17322]Lenny Rider[/MENTION].

She thinks if they gave up their Netflix subscriptions and didn’t buy ‘posh’ coffee, they could all afford to buy their own houses by the age of 21,like she did.

She’s a deluded, entitled, rich bitch though.

Perhaps Lenny should get her on his next podcast/programme whatever it is he does.

A really naive opening post from everyone’s favourite undertaker. Anyone under 35 has had a shitshow of a time since the financial crash of 2008 and the unwise slavish adherence to cuts and austerity.

House prices are out of reach; the cost of living is going through the roof; their freedom to move and work in Europe has been taken away, and a pandemic has restricted most freedoms. What’s extraordinary is that more of them aren’t revolting.

I’m 53-years-old. When I was in my early 20s, despite growing up under a PM who lacked empathy and felt society was an inconvenience, the world truly was my oyster. Life and ambition was affordable and reachable. Now, all that has been pulled away.

All the young have now is youth and the blind optimism that might just still be alive that comes with that.

If only they bothered voting!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dec 29, 2011
A tough few months or years? This demographic have had it tough from the minute they hit 8-12 years old! Our childhood was surrounded by the illegal Iraq war, fearmongering and 9/11 terrorist shite that pervaded all of society. Then, we grow into puberty and get confronted by the biggest economic collapse in 50 odd years and as teens we then have to deal with the broken homes and stresses this ends up dishing on us in our formative years. But then you get older, and get into the University you always wanted to go to, to study the subject you always wanted! Great! But wait, it's not great because now the degree fields are so over saturated due to such low loan costs that we get to deal with our loans being tripled from 3k to 9k overnight, by a Liberal Democrat party most of us voted for because they tricked us into thinking they'd cut those loans. So now you're on the hook, you deal with the fact that you're starting life almost 50 grand in debt, and with worse job prospects than many generations prior due to everyone and their nan having a degree so you have to rely on the old classic "who you know" method of getting a job. BUT you do get a job, awesome, you can JUST about afford to live in your expensive rental flat that you moved into because while wages have increased marginally in 20 years rental costs have skyrocketed and why not? We have loads of enriched older people who already owned their homes being able to buy another one, and then rent it out for double the value, must be nice!

But why not just buy your own home then, we did, just work hard and get the deposit together and you'll be fine if you stop being so lazy.... Except average house prices rose 152 per cent in the 20 years from 1995 to 2015, while net family income for our generation only grew by 22 per cent, good luck finding that deposit. BUT ITS NOT OVER! Because now, in your mid 20s and the supposed prime of your life the world has been decimated by the pandemic, its YOU that are mostly on the front lines working those "essential worker" jobs, its you that's coming home to an empty flat and quarantine and its now you that after 2 years of this, and giving so much to help will be left with the long term prospect of rising energy prices, food shortages and even MORE rising housing costs with far less freedom than the generations before you due to an EU referendum that was decided so heavily by generations that came before you, leaving you to pick up the pieces. Again.

This isn't a tough few months or years, this is the status quo for the millenial generation and will continue to be so for the foreseeable until we inherit the earth from the elder generations and hopefully we have something left to salvage from it all.

Jesus Christ, what a response. I would follow you into battle:lolol:

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
Hmmm. Not sure that I’d want to go through it all again but glad I have lived when I have. No World wars, good education, one job, seen the Albion in all divisions, been to Wembley with them, great kids and happily retired. Life’s been good and I’m grateful. Time for others to make the most of it.

You’re probably right. Had a good innings so far, 2 kids still at home saving hard to crack on with their futures. I’ll do all I can to help them too. Can’t agree with Op this generation has had it easy though.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
He's not a mod. He's a mooderator.

The OP thinks the under 30s have had it easy but seems oblivious to ridiculous house prices keeping them off the property ladder. As an example my parents born in 1947 bought their house about 45 years ago for £12,000 while earning £3,000 each. That house is now worth about £350,000, so to have the same ratio a couple would need to earn £87,500 each. My parents had average office jobs that might pay £25k - £30k.

Not wanting in any way to get involved in whether or not young people have had it easy - or in what ways it might have been easier - but on a point of order has there ever been a time when large numbers of U30s owned their own property . Yes, I know some always have, through inheritance, bank-of-mum-and-dad, or an exceptionally good job - but anywhere even close to being a majority? I don't think so!

Having the luxury of a mortgage before your 30 must be far from the norm nowadays and I can't see that changing any time soon.
Quite - i can't see it changing any time soon - and it is worse now than at some previous times, but U30s with mortgages have always - or very nearly always - been a minority. My parents got their first mortgage in the 50s - it was damned hard saving for them and they were 40 when it finally happened. I first got on the proert ladder in the 80s - I was 32; hard work then too, even with a bit of help from a wonderful Mum and Dad. When exactly was this golden age when overwhelming numbers were getting on to the property ladder in their 20s?

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Can't help thinking all of this is falling on deaf ears, which will be proven by next week's thread.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Dont agree that they've had a easy ride (compared to pretty much any post-war generation at least) but I do agree about that they are in for a tough few years... or decades.

Will be interesting to see when the baby bommers... eh... how to say this... when they move on and we'll have a population decrease in Europe. Perhaps could solve some of the housing issues.

Turns out by definition, I'm a boomer. If I reach the average age of my dad and his three sisters, it will be the best part of thirty years before the housing issues are solved with my house:lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here