Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Under 30's generation.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Speaking as a parent of 29 and 26 year olds, I think this demographic are in for a tough few months/years.

Since 2008, when the oldest were 16, there's not really been that much financial hardship, for the majority disposal income (or cheap credit facilities) has never really been an issue, but now post Covid, mortgage payments will rise perhaps 3 or 4 times in the next 18 months, energy prices will be going up along with vehicle fuel, as well as food.

Harold Macmillan famously once said "You've never had it so good", I'm sure there are notable exceptions in the NSC/Albion community, but have most youngsters under 30 had a pretty easy ride so far?

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
The latest instalment of Lenny Rider stokes the fires of the culture wars. This week, the young don't know they have been born.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
They've lost two of their most fun years to a pandemic, had far higher university fees that anyone previously, seen wages stagnate and more jobs with less security, have no chance of buying a house, higher rent, etc

Add to that they've got to pay vast amounts of money for high strength IPAs and deal with the worst pop music since the 1950s

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
They've lost two of their most fun years to a pandemic, had far higher university fees that anyone previously, seen wages stagnate and more jobs with less security, have no chance of buying a house, higher rent, etc

Add to that they've got to pay vast amounts of money for high strength IPAs and deal with the worst pop music since the 1950s

Apart from that though, they have had access to 0% credit cards and ticktok, the young don't know how lucky they are.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
The latest instalment of Lenny Rider stokes the fires of the culture wars. This week, the young don't know they have been born.

100%. Sneaks into the room, spews out a wad of absolute guff and then disappears off into the night, like a Milk Tray Man for the GB News Generation.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Thank GOD the football is back this weekend!

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Also, this:
Untitled.png
Should be enough for a ban, mods?

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Textbook tosh from you as usual [MENTION=17322]Lenny Rider[/MENTION]. You immediately give away how much of a dinosaur you are by assuming any of this generation have a house to make mortgage payments on. :dunce:

I wonder if you realise Ian that you contribute nothing to this forum, to Sussex or frankly the country?

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
As an under 30, 99% of us can’t even dream of affording a mortgage unless they rely on the bank of Mum & Dad

In fact, a lot of us can’t even afford to rent our own place in our own hometowns so I’m glad we’ve had it easy so far.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Textbook tosh from you as usual [MENTION=17322]Lenny Rider[/MENTION]. You immediately give away how much of a dinosaur you are by assuming any of this generation have a house to make mortgage payments on. :dunce:

I wonder if you realise Ian that you contribute nothing to this forum, to Sussex or frankly the country?

Rude

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
The Honourable Kirsty Allsopp, daughter of the 6th Baron Hindlip, agrees with you [MENTION=17322]Lenny Rider[/MENTION].

She thinks if they gave up their Netflix subscriptions and didn’t buy ‘posh’ coffee, they could all afford to buy their own houses by the age of 21,like she did.

She’s a deluded, entitled, rich bitch though.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Speaking as a parent of 29 and 26 year olds, I think this demographic are in for a tough few months/years.

Since 2008, when the oldest were 16, there's not really been that much financial hardship, for the majority disposal income (or cheap credit facilities) has never really been an issue, but now post Covid, mortgage payments will rise perhaps 3 or 4 times in the next 18 months, energy prices will be going up along with vehicle fuel, as well as food.

Harold Macmillan famously once said "You've never had it so good", I'm sure there are notable exceptions in the NSC/Albion community, but have most youngsters under 30 had a pretty easy ride so far?

Dont agree that they've had a easy ride (compared to pretty much any post-war generation at least) but I do agree about that they are in for a tough few years... or decades.

Will be interesting to see when the baby bommers... eh... how to say this... when they move on and we'll have a population decrease in Europe. Perhaps could solve some of the housing issues.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....

This, also throw in social media ruining their lives, without realising it. I would not want to be a teenager or young adult now, the pressure of social media and instant fame and wealth is so depressing, I see my daughter struggling to cope with it now, and she is 12, the future is not rosy at all, if you think of future world problems they will have to deal with including the climate, and without a doubt future wars to come.

Do they run free, as we did (im 52) do they have youth cultures, do they go out and meet as we did, real life experiences, not social media driven, can they make the same mistakes we did, and not get cancelled or pressured to be a certain way. No, I feel for them, and would not swap my life for theirs in a million years, even if I could have my quiff back :lolol:

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
33 years old here.
I'm possibly the only of all my friends to own their own property, and that's almost certainly due to me moving countries, and then moving once again to a smaller city within the new country.

THANK GOD I pulled the trigger early last year when mortgage rates were ultra low. Had I waited until now, I'd be both priced out of the market due to insane house price surges, and higher mortgage rates.

And I know we are just getting started with interest rates climbing.

My friends back in the Vancouver area will now have no chance and will have to likely wait on inheritance, if any.

Dibdab

Sep 28, 2021

Oh dear what a sad response.

I'm sure that I read that being unnecessarily rude to a fellow NSC user now leads to a ban and here we have a mod being a class A tit to someone who Im certain has played a far far more significant role in the shape and existence of our club than he. Unless there was some very poor attempt at sarcasm in the post that will have gone over everyones head.

As for the OP I cant see anything other than a pretty factual account of whats coming, and yet people still want to find something to be offended by.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

:lolol: brutal.

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
Oh dear what a sad response.

I'm sure that I read that being unnecessarily rude to a fellow NSC user now leads to a ban and here we have a mod being a class A tit to someone who Im certain has played a far far more significant role in the shape and existence of our club than he. Unless there was some very poor attempt at sarcasm in the post that will have gone over everyones head.

As for the OP I cant see anything other than a pretty factual account of whats coming, and yet people still want to find something to be offended by.

He's not a mod. He's a mooderator.

The OP thinks the under 30s have had it easy but seems oblivious to ridiculous house prices keeping them off the property ladder. As an example my parents born in 1947 bought their house about 45 years ago for £12,000 while earning £3,000 each. That house is now worth about £350,000, so to have the same ratio a couple would need to earn £87,500 each. My parents had average office jobs that might pay £25k - £30k.

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC

A tough few months or years? This demographic have had it tough from the minute they hit 8-12 years old! Our childhood was surrounded by the illegal Iraq war, fearmongering and 9/11 terrorist shite that pervaded all of society. Then, we grow into puberty and get confronted by the biggest economic collapse in 50 odd years and as teens we then have to deal with the broken homes and stresses this ends up dishing on us in our formative years. But then you get older, and get into the University you always wanted to go to, to study the subject you always wanted! Great! But wait, it's not great because now the degree fields are so over saturated due to such low loan costs that we get to deal with our loans being tripled from 3k to 9k overnight, by a Liberal Democrat party most of us voted for because they tricked us into thinking they'd cut those loans. So now you're on the hook, you deal with the fact that you're starting life almost 50 grand in debt, and with worse job prospects than many generations prior due to everyone and their nan having a degree so you have to rely on the old classic "who you know" method of getting a job. BUT you do get a job, awesome, you can JUST about afford to live in your expensive rental flat that you moved into because while wages have increased marginally in 20 years rental costs have skyrocketed and why not? We have loads of enriched older people who already owned their homes being able to buy another one, and then rent it out for double the value, must be nice!

But why not just buy your own home then, we did, just work hard and get the deposit together and you'll be fine if you stop being so lazy.... Except average house prices rose 152 per cent in the 20 years from 1995 to 2015, while net family income for our generation only grew by 22 per cent, good luck finding that deposit. BUT ITS NOT OVER! Because now, in your mid 20s and the supposed prime of your life the world has been decimated by the pandemic, its YOU that are mostly on the front lines working those "essential worker" jobs, its you that's coming home to an empty flat and quarantine and its now you that after 2 years of this, and giving so much to help will be left with the long term prospect of rising energy prices, food shortages and even MORE rising housing costs with far less freedom than the generations before you due to an EU referendum that was decided so heavily by generations that came before you, leaving you to pick up the pieces. Again.

This isn't a tough few months or years, this is the status quo for the millenial generation and will continue to be so for the foreseeable until we inherit the earth from the elder generations and hopefully we have something left to salvage from it all.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
33 and contemplating not having kids coz I've had it "easy"..

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here