Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Spurs and the Y-word

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Spurs have asked fans to 'move on' from using the Y word when referring to themselves or at games.

Tottenham Hotspur have today released a statement condemning the use of the "Y-word", saying they believe it's "time to reassess" the use of it.

The north London football club held supporter focus groups about the use of the "Y-word", which concluded in the summer of 2020.

"We are living in times of heightened awareness of cultural appropriation and sensitivities. It is therefore crucial to the values of our club and our fans that we are even more mindful of the controversial nature of this term", the club said in a statement.

The "Y-word" is a pejorative term or insult for Jewish people, which is used ironically by Tottenham fans.

--------------------------

Its not a term I've ever really used to describe Spurs, but I know a lot of the fans refer to themselves in those terms. As a kid I never understood the racial connotations and just thought it was a name for Spurs fans.

This is going to take some time to happen I suspect.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Given how loud they were chanting it at our game I'd say it will be a long time before that is dropped. I think ironically they are proud of their heritage, and maybe therefore it is harmless? I'm sure I'll be told I'm wrong by someone but I know a Jewish Spurs fan and he is more than happy to chant it.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I thought this had been done before but looking for previous articles, it seems it was more some people asking spurs to stop in 2019, 2016, 2012. David Cameron supporting the fans right to continue using the term, spurs fan groups wanting to keep singing it (I think it was a jewish fan group, but I've closed the tab so might be wrong on that).

So I agree, it seems like it will take a while for it to be stopped. I can also see the delay being exacerbated if the fans are unhappy with what is on the pitch and not incline to work with the club.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Difficult one - I think the origins of this started almost as a 'you can't call us that, we're going to call ourselves it' - almost in a 'your to ugly to be gay' way - but over time it has been adopted and lost that sense. But I do know many members of the Jewish community don't like the word and particularly when you have non-Jewish people using it. It'll certainly take some time to change that behavior I think

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I’m sure I read somewhere that Arsenal have always had as big a Jewish following as Spurs. A lot of East London Jews supported one or the other clubs in the days when the Boleyn Ground was a pretty unwelcoming place. Spurs fans sang this chant in response to abuse from rival supporters in much the same way Albion fans created responses to the homophobic stuff aimed our way. Neither is that relevant in the year 2022.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The "Y-word" is a pejorative term or insult for Jewish people, which is used ironically by Tottenham fans.

--------------------------

Its not a term I've ever really used to describe Spurs, but I know a lot of the fans refer to themselves in those terms. As a kid I never understood the racial connotations and just thought it was a name for Spurs fans.

This is going to take some time to happen I suspect. .
A keyword there has got to be 'ironically'. They're not using it to abuse people, just using it in an ironical and slightly self-deprecating way.
I strongly suspect that those most offended are those who it's got nothing to do with anyway - but such is the way of the world - or of tolerant liberal England at least. I wonder how many people choosing to take offence are the same progressive, liberal, tolerant people who buy and admire rap music, which sometimes uses the word 'niggah' (in an ironical and self-deprecating way, of course). Hmmmm ........ maybe just a tad of double standards there?

Oh well, if some people want to ban it, good luck to them - I hope it makes them feel happier. As the OP stated though, it could take a while.

Last edited:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Part of the problem of trying to eradicate the Y word is that it lends itself so well to terrace chants. In addition, the act of suppression something Jewish is also a bit fascist, and it emboldens fans. Last time they tried Spurs fans came up with a new song which they still sing at every match:

We sang it in France,
We sang it in Spain,
We sing in the sun and we sing in the rain,
They've tried to stop us and look what it did,
Cos the thing I love most is being a Yid!

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
It's not a tricky one or an ambiguous one, it's racist. Ask any Jew.

David Baddiel describes it well in Jews Don't Count. In fact it's him that's been lobbying the club to ban it.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
It's not a tricky one or an ambiguous one, it's racist. Ask any Jew.

David Baddiel describes it well in Jews Don't Count. In fact it's him that's been lobbying the club to ban it.

Here's a few from twitter disagreeing with you.

[tweet]1491720965939556353[/tweet]

[tweet]1491812220128354307[/tweet]

[tweet]1491779045272408068[/tweet]

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
Here's a few from twitter disagreeing with you.

Ok don't ask any jew but just because those particular Jews aren't offended doesn't mean it's not offensive or antisemitic. I think we should take notice of Jewish groups and organisations calling for it to be banned. If they say it's antisemitic then it is.

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here