Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Sure to be polarising - esports in the commonwealth games?

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
It is being reported that eSports is going to be in the commonwealth games. This has the makings of a brilliant culture war between the kids and grown ups. I am early 40s and have a 13 year old son. He will definitely watch the esports and despite being a very sporty kid (county hockey and decent at all sports) he will give many of them a miss.

This topic is sure to get people fired up. I expect to read “how is playing computer games a sport?” - well sorry to those who don’t see it. In 20 years the richest sports people in the world will be esports. Kids already watch them play computer games and this is going to go mainstream whether we like it or not.

I might make it my mission to reply to everyone I hear over the next few weeks say “it isn’t even a sport so can’t be in the commonwealth games” that “is it called the commonwealth sports?” - that should get people going.

Just the other day on our WhatsApp group two of my mates said about their 6 year old sons “they won’t play computer games. No chance. They will be out all the time with their mates not locked in their rooms playing games like geeks.” They have not adjusted to when we were kids. All the “cool” kids are gaming and it is incredibly sociable as massive groups of mates all play together. My lad plays out but he is quite happy gaming too. I suspect my mates will realise in a few years that their sons will play video games! Let’s see.

So what do we think NSC? I wish I knew how to do a poll. This feels like the future to me. I don’t like it but it is inevitable.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I don't really care either way. I don't mind playing the odd game of FIFA but can't imagine myself ever tuning into to watch others play. Whatever floats your boat though.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
First: Online gaming isnt sociable.

Second: this could be the future if games reach a certain longevity, which is happening to some of the most popular ones now. In the past when a game lasted 2-5 years before it was replaced by something else, we'd never see in the Olympics etc. but could well become the case now. There's also more depth as more and more countries get competitive in esports. Twenty years ago there were only five really competitve e-sport nations - South Korea, Sweden, US, Denmark and Germany. Soon all the big nations joined in and now you find all sorts of Western / Asian countries represented in LoL, CSGO, PUBG, Fortnite and so on, but it will expand even more in the future.

Not good for anyone but easy entertainment and thats what the world wants.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Actually, we don't need to speculate about whether people would like it - we can ask an actual question. They put some FIFA football on TV during coronavirus, so if the powers that be genuinely claim to think that young people are more likely to watch someone else playing video games rather than live action, then we can just look at the viewing figures for that.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Well I'm opposed as I just feel that events like the Commonwealth Games (and the Olympics) should be about physical activities. By all means have an E-Games for screen-based activities, but I'd rather the two were separate. Likewise if there is/was an E-Olympics I don't think it would benefit from the inclusion of a physical 100 metre race. (Even if some of the competitors could benefit from the exercise).

And this is nothing to do with a generation gap. I've loved watching the snowboarding in the Winter Olympics, and I absolutely loved the BMX and skateboarding in the Summer Olympics. Also I heard the Summer Olympics are planning on dropping Boxing, Weightlifting and Modern Pentathlon in favour of more youth-orientated activities. Fine - so long as they're physical.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
My 6 year old daughter spends as much time as she can watching YouTubes of people playing Minecraft and Roblox. Obsessed by it.

Which makes me think you have a good point. E-sports is the future and at some point they will have their own 2 week slot tagged onto the Olympic games etc.

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The only time I’d watch would be a football competition featuring an Albion player. Quite enjoyed watching Maupay. It’s not aimed at dinosaurs like me though, is it?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Shirley, first you have to care about the Commonwealth Games?

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Put me down as it took me to the second paragraph to work out what esports is.
Also sitting around pushing buttons and looking at a tv is definitely not a sport. :shrug:

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
I watched some e formula 1 during first lockdown as it was pretty much the only 'sport' happening.

To be honest watching actual cars and e-cars whizzing round a track was pretty much identical.

Whether I'd feel the same about watching fortnite or fifa I'm not sure.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012

Disagree with this. It was during lockdown that me and some mates dusted off games consoles and did it for the first time. It was great. Having a laugh with mates not in a zoom chat where the other option is you just look at each other or a sodding quiz. It was brilliant. We have kept it going this winter (hardly play during the summer). Three of us are married to teachers so When they are doing their planning and our kids are in bed it gives us something to do that isn’t just watching tv or reading. We don’t ever chat to other people, it is just a group of mates having a laugh.

During the winter My lad gets home from school and most days will log on and play with his mates. Spend the time between getting home and dinner just laughing with pals (occasional row). When I was a kid if the weather was crap and we could not be bothered to play out we watched dogtanion and the muskahounds and thunder cats. I know what is more sociable.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
I watched some e formula 1 during first lockdown as it was pretty much the only 'sport' happening.

To be honest watching actual cars and e-cars whizzing round a track was pretty much identical.

Whether I'd feel the same about watching fortnite or fifa I'm not sure.

I can’t watch other people play computer games. It bores me silly. But like others on here with kids.

My 13 year old watches others play all sorts of games and my daughters watch people play roblox.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011

Second: this could be the future if games reach a certain longevity, which is happening to some of the most popular ones now. In the past when a game lasted 2-5 years before it was replaced by something else, we'd never see in the Olympics etc. but could well become the case now. There's also more depth as more and more countries get competitive in esports. Twenty years ago there were only five really competitve e-sport nations - South Korea, Sweden, US, Denmark and Germany. Soon all the big nations joined in and now you find all sorts of Western / Asian countries represented in LoL, CSGO, PUBG, Fortnite and so on, but it will expand even more in the future.

Not good for anyone but easy entertainment and thats what the world wants.

Whaaaa!? I play online loads. With other people. We talk to each other and everything.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Disagree with this. It was during lockdown that me and some mates dusted off games consoles and did it for the first time. It was great. Having a laugh with mates not in a zoom chat where the other option is you just look at each other or a sodding quiz. It was brilliant. We have kept it going this winter (hardly play during the summer). Three of us are married to teachers so When they are doing their planning and our kids are in bed it gives us something to do that isn’t just watching tv or reading. We don’t ever chat to other people, it is just a group of mates having a laugh.

During the winter My lad gets home from school and most days will log on and play with his mates. Spend the time between getting home and dinner just laughing with pals (occasional row). When I was a kid if the weather was crap and we could not be bothered to play out we watched dogtanion and the muskahounds and thunder cats. I know what is more sociable.

2 quality cartoons though. Much better than whatever crap the kids are watching these days (probably :D)

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
As a seperate tournament it’s a great idea, but as with ‘real’ sports if you put one or two in everyone will complain about 8 other more worthy ones being missing. The ones included will just be the ones which raise the most money and that will be a big part of the appeal I reckon for organisers!

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012

Ok, well that's nonsense.
Literally millions of friends play online together because it's sociable. You can have plenty of fun with people online, chatting to random people you'd never meet otherwise and having a good laugh.

As for the original question,
I watch Rocket League Championship online, these players are a different level to your average gamer, anyone saying that eSports aren't a sport clearly don't play games. I've played against one of these players recently and he absolutely pulled my pants down.
The money these guys earn is obscene as well, I'm talking pro footballer money.
Before eSports was a thing, I was ranked 3rd in the world on a racing game, I regularly beat the game designers and I would've definitely tried to make a living out of it had it been a thing back then.
I'm sure this will split the room and I do get why some will think it shouldn't be considered a sport, but I believe it is and will become just as big as physical sport at some point.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here