Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Ebay

Rambo

Don't Push me
Jul 8, 2003
Worthing/Vietnam
Does anyone actually use it properly anymore? I haven’t used it in years and have put some items for sale on there.

All I keep getting is low ball offers via email. No one actually bids on the items.

It’s really irritating. Everyone just wants something for nothing. It’s just like marketplace and gumtree now.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
I use it a bit - a handful of listings per month at most.

I always list buy it now, sometimes allowing offers but only a little bit below that price. This cuts out the chancers.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
We still sell stuff for decent money, nothing’s really changed. By auction, not buy it now.

But just now I suspect is the worst possible time - the usual post Xmas skint-ness, combined with the cost of living crisis eg car fuel and home energy costs. Almost had to give away a decent sofa a few days away.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Yup, I am selling all my CDs I do get chislers from time to time, sometimes accept, sometimes keep the auction going. can get some good prices a lot want a lot for nuffink.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Does anyone actually use it properly anymore? I haven’t used it in years and have put some items for sale on there.

All I keep getting is low ball offers via email. No one actually bids on the items.

It’s really irritating. Everyone just wants something for nothing. It’s just like marketplace and gumtree now.

I use ebay - mainly camera bits sold via 'buy it now' . I research the price on ebay i.e. what price similar items have sold for and work out how that fits with my expectation. I put them at the top of the price range for first week then drop 20% maybe a bit more over a few weeks.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

Check for what similar items have sold for recently, maybe you have set your price too high.

Rambo

Don't Push me
Jul 8, 2003
Worthing/Vietnam
Check for what similar items have sold for recently, maybe you have set your price too high.

Not at all I have done the opposite and still getting low ballers.

I just don’t want offers, it takes up too much time having to keep replying.

Just bid on it if you want it!

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Not at all I have done the opposite and still getting low ballers.

I just don’t want offers, it takes up too much time having to keep replying.

Just bid on it if you want it!

Maybe mention in the description that you will not accept offers below starting price, or at all, and will let the auction run.

rbridd

Aug 9, 2005
I've sold quite a lot over the past couple of years (Retirement clearout :) ).
I've stopped replying to all of the lowball offers, and just let the auction run.
All of your serious bids will come in the last hour of the auction.

Until this week, I've never tried a "buy it now". Always auctions.
Set your auction to end early evening on a Friday or over a weekend, as I have found these times to attract more of a final hour flurry of bids.
The number of watchers is generally an indication of how much interest there is in your item, (but not always).

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I have never sold anything but use eBay to buy bits for work or diy items, always new items and ‘buy it now’

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I use it all the time, sold over 2000 items, just as a hobby, not a business. Pretty much always on auctions, and pretty much always sell my stuff, mostly football shirts but also other stuff. Always specific that I am not accepting any offers, auction only, don’t really seem to have more than one or two problems a year.

In my experience you do have to know your market, check other similar items, take really decent photos and write a good description,

Last edited:

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I'm an occasional seller. Couple of items finishing tomorrow and another going live tomorrow. Always auction. As I only do a few, it's no problem replying politely to emails. Although I've just had my first ever little spat by email. Selling something I consider rare. He asked if I have more and I declined to tell him as it could affect how much he bids. He also wanted to buy them all, which I also declined. He went off in a strop.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I use it all the time to sell some aquarium plants I grow. Competion is fierce though. I have also been scammed. Ebay will always side with the buyer in most cases. Be very careful selling pricey items. During first lock down I was making quite a bit of money.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
I've had too many bad experiences selling with chancers and scammers claiming the item was damaged or lost in post/listed incorrectly. Had someone give me bad feedback on a laptop I sold for spares or repairs as "it didn't work". It is very geared up to protect the buyer so not much you can do as a seller if they put a claim in. Ended up losing money on last few items I sold so don't bother now.

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
I sell refurbished laptops on there and do ok.

It's my mates main source of income selling all sorts of stuff. He sold some sort of collectors card, maybe Pokémon, for £84 he got from a charity shop. I thought he was bullshi7ing so asked to see the sale, which he duly obliged.

Also a hat from a charity shop, went for £80.

His phone is always pinging, mainly £2-5 sales, but does sell a lot of lego by the kilo, which is a good earner for him.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
I still use eBay all the time. As above, I always sell at buy-it-now only (with immediate payment) and at a decent value price so it doesn't hang around. If it does I reduce the price gradually (I turn off the Offers option). That way, it only sells at the price I dictate. I only sell good condition items. After 15 years I still have 100% feedback. However, I generally only buy via Auction as you can still get good bargains.

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
I usually use Gumtree to keep it local and cash, after first researching sold prices on Ebay. If doesn't go they're, I freegle it. I've sold some of my 'vintage' (90s) clothes on ebay to gullible youth and ancient copies of the Good Beer Guide to real ale enthusiasts.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Haven’t used it for 20 years. In the early days, used it loads to buy and sell rare records and music memorabilia. It felt like a genuine community of collectors, with nothing but personal auctions.

Then it just became an e-commerce shop.

Ok there’s still a bit of a ‘bidding’ aspect, but otherwise it’s little different from an Amazon marketplace, with 90% of stuff from retailers not individuals.

I’m sure it’s fine and works well and all that, but as an old fart I liked the original concept of eBay more.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here