Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Ash die back

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
Not another thread about Ashworth to Newcastle!

I just had a note through the door saying that they are going to remove 100 - 200 trees from the Three Cornered Copse in Hove due to Ash die back. This will include removing healthy trees if they prevent access to the ones they want to be removed.

It sounds brutal, but necessary I suppose. I hope they get replanted but I’m not holding my breath and it will take at least a generation before they are mature enough to be noticed.

I have already paid for a couple of trees in Hove Park, sadly my budget doesn’t run to replacing all of these in the Copse!

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Same on Lancing Ring. The notice says they will be planting. I see no reason they wouldn’t as they did so last year up there.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
A load were removed by Network Rail near us. They've all started re-sprouting quite happily, so I'm left with the feeling that this was just NR wanting rid of trees near the railway rather than for the stated reason.

Storm Arwen was interesting - I had one woodland owner tell me, almost in tears, that the storm had left all the Ash trees that were dying, left all the infected Larch that he has to remove - but blew down ten lovely Oaks.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
A load were removed by Network Rail near us. They've all started re-sprouting quite happily, so I'm left with the feeling that this was just NR wanting rid of trees near the railway rather than for the stated reason.

Storm Arwen was interesting - I had one woodland owner tell me, almost in tears, that the storm had left all the Ash trees that were dying, left all the infected Larch that he has to remove - but blew down ten lovely Oaks.

We all know what leaves do to the train service in the Autumn...

But on a more positive note:
More than 60,000 trees have already been planted in the UK through the Queen’s Green Canopy project in the two months since the planting season began. The public are being asked to “plant a tree for the jubilee”, and every planting will be recorded on a digital map to be presented to the Queen at the end of the year.

Hopefully 60,000 is just a very small start to a massive campaign.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
We all know what leaves do to the train service in the Autumn...

But on a more positive note:
More than 60,000 trees have already been planted in the UK through the Queen’s Green Canopy project in the two months since the planting season began. The public are being asked to “plant a tree for the jubilee”, and every planting will be recorded on a digital map to be presented to the Queen at the end of the year.

Hopefully 60,000 is just a very small start to a massive campaign.

Like coppiced trees, old slogans never die do they. "Plant a Tree in '73"

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley

I just had a note through the door saying that they are going to remove 100 - 200 trees from the Three Cornered Copse in Hove due to Ash die back. This will include removing healthy trees if they prevent access to the ones they want to be removed.

It sounds brutal, but necessary I suppose. I hope they get replanted but I’m not holding my breath and it will take at least a generation before they are mature enough to be noticed.

I have already paid for a couple of trees in Hove Park, sadly my budget doesn’t run to replacing all of these in the Copse!

I don't understand why so many trees are being felled as the advice on the government website is to leave infected trees standing unless they are a danger.

https://www.forestresearch.gov.uk/t...esources/ash-dieback-hymenoscyphus-fraxineus/

However, by keeping as many ash trees standing as possible, we can identify individuals which appear to survive exposure to the fungus and which can be used for breeding tolerant ash trees for the future. See 'Our research' below for further information.

We have thirty or so mature ash trees, (at least double that number of younger ones), of which about half are showing symptoms of dieback. We haven't felled any so far.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
Clayton Hill has also been felled quite dramatically but diseased branches were beginning to fall on cars so had to be done.

Hassocks has also had a lot trees removed lately.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

The NT have being doing this at Cliveden, seems brutal but necessary.
We wondered what the coloured sprayed markings on the trees were.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
This is part of our woodland taken yesterday morning. The majority of trees are ash with a scattering of oak and sycamore.

I’m guessing that if this was public land most would have been felled by now due to broken branches. :nono:

96FFD40F-7FF3-418B-879F-744E560F6E4C.jpeg

A1B1517A-A153-49D7-AD76-AFB19A802E1B.jpeg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here