Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Jimmy Carr

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Isn’t this a step too far?

I admit, I don’t like Carr, and I don’t understand how this could possibly be classed as comedy.
Is he just saying the most outrageous thing he can think of to generate controversy or does he think it’s funny?

Possibly NSFW, depending on your sensibilities.

https://twitter.com/thatbloodymikey/status/1489599828707397635?s=21

Last edited:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Isn’t this a step too far?

I admit, I don’t like Carr, and I don’t understand how this could possibly be classed as comedy.
Is he just saying the most outrageous he can think of to generate controversy or does he think it’s funny?

Possibly NSFW, depending on your sensibilities.

https://twitter.com/thatbloodymikey/status/1489599828707397635?s=21

If I recall correctly, that is the end of the show where he says his most extreme jokes and calls it something the “cancel me” section of the show.

I have no opinion either way on humour like this.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I used to enjoy Jimmy Carr's standup. He'd make some risky jokes but wouldn't step over the line. I saw him at The Dome in Brighton about 10 years ago and thought he was great.

These days he just seems to take it too far. I watched his latest Netflix show a couple of weeks ago and some if it is just a bit uncomfortable to watch. Much like Frankie Boyle, it's now all about trying to say the most outrageous things you can.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Q - Why aren't there more right wing comedians on the TV?
A - because they are not funny.

Q - How do you know they are not funny if they are never on the TV?
A - Jimmy Carr

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I saw him a few years before the gloss teeth and licquorice hair days. He was quite funny.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Alternatively we could wait 6 months for the annual 'P###y S**m ruined our cricket pitch' thread.
Then try and claim the moral high ground.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Oops

Last edited:

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Is there any other section of society he could say this about as not be quite rightly flamed for?

If he had said it about Jews, Black people, or Asians, ( the usual racist targets) he would probably never work on TV again, tell a ‘joke’ about GRT, and he will be feted for how edgy he is.

He’s a racist,and deserves to be completely ostracised.

He’s as bad as Jim Davidson.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Is there any other section of society he could say this about as not be quite rightly flamed for?

If he had said it about Jews, Black people, or Asians, ( the usual racist targets) he would probably never work on TV again, tell a ‘joke’ about GRT, and he will be feted for how edgy he is.

He’s a racist,and deserves to be completely ostracised.

He’s as bad as Jim Davidson.

I see a time coming when he is basically cancelled. I think a part of him wants that. He’s a tax dodging millionaire, many times over who had a very questionable relationship with his mother. Throws amazing parties apparently. And that’s all I know about him.

If I’m after a “Jokes man” I’ll go for Tim Vine, all day long.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I see a time coming when he is basically cancelled. I think a part of him wants that. He’s a tax dodging millionaire, many times over who had a very questionable relationship with his mother. Throws amazing parties apparently. And that’s all I know about him.

I'd be surprised if cancelling was his desired goal.
Doesn't he play 250 nights a year or something?

This thread, well the Twitter hits, is what he wants and gets it every time.

I'm sure he or his writer can put a retrospective spin on it with words to the effect of 'im highlighting the plight of the GRT community'.

But truth be told he wants the uproar as that material feeds the next show.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing

Strange that in the same page as this thread, there’s another thread about an Albion fan sending tweets to the 3 black England footballers. I haven’t read these particular tweets, but have seen others sent by people of similar opinions as the banned fan. He has now got a criminal record, the possibility he has lost his job, and is banned from the Amex indefinitely, as well as widespread vilification.
Carr will not have to suffer any of these punishments and if he did the “ It’s all cancel culture “ mob will champion his cause as a victim of the suppression of freedom of speech.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Standard reactionary trope - say provocative things that they know will cause offence, but insist that they are courageously exercising their democratic freedom-of-speech. Then, when uproar and outrage ensue, complain that: a) they are victims of 'the Woke' and cancel-culture and 'the fascist Left'; b) those offended are thin-skinned 'snow-flakes' who need to toughen-up and get out of their 'safe-space'.

See also: Jim Davidson, Roy 'Chubby' Brown, Mrs Brown's Boys, and previously, Bernard Manning.

Fortunately, I exercise my freedom by refusing to to watch or listen to these obnoxious 'comedians' who will run crying to the Daily Mail when they're called-out on their sheer w*nkery.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here