[Albion] Brighton fan convicted + banned after Euro 2021 Racism tweet

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Good riddance, serves him right. Some need to realise actions have consequences the hard way.

arewethereyet?

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
An indefinite ban as has been published on the club’s website BUT he should get a lifetime ban, it’s the only viable deterrent IMO, the fine could have been a bit heftier as well.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
An indefinite ban as has been published on the club’s website BUT he should get a lifetime ban, it’s the only viable deterrent IMO, the fine could have been a bit heftier as well.

I agree with the ban, and I'm really happy that racism is being called out. It's nice to see toxicity being removed. It's a reflection of values.

I don't agree with a lifetime ban, because that is to give no pathway and reward for change. That's a society of absolutes and moral perching. You change people to change society, and that should be reflected by re-integration. People do bad stuff, but people change too. All have sinned.

Happy to celebrate warm and reflective values and standards, not happy to be swept up in self righteous moral crusades, as is often the outcome of these happenings.

He did something dumb that he probably regrets. He paid a heavy price. Now it's time to try and make it good.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I agree with the ban, and I'm really happy that racism is being called out. It's nice to see toxicity being removed. It's a reflection of values.

I don't agree with a lifetime ban, because that is to give no pathway and reward for change. That's a society of absolutes and moral perching. You change people to change society, and that should be reflected by re-integration. People do bad stuff, but people change too. All have sinned.

Happy to celebrate warm and reflective values and standards, not happy to be swept up in self righteous moral crusades, as is often the outcome of these happenings.

He did something dumb that he probably regrets. He paid a heavy price. Now it's time to try and make it good.

I’ve not seen the tweet, but let’s assume it was really pretty bad (I guess it was to result in a reasonably hefty fine). How long do you think his ban should be, assuming no repeat?

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Indefinite ends when the club say so.

Which could mean that they will give him a chance to turn over a new leaf and make amends. It could happen. What are the chances?

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
Jul 6, 2011
I wonder how they will be able to judge if his ban should be rescinded? I mean is there some sort of "are you still a C***?" exam he could take in a few years time to be able to tell if he has become an acceptable member of society?

If such a thing exists surely it should be rolled out across the nation so we could easily identify the rest and deal with them accordingly?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I wonder how they will be able to judge if his ban should be rescinded? I mean is there some sort of "are you still a C***?" exam he could take in a few years time to be able to tell if he has become an acceptable member of society?

If such a thing exists surely it should be rolled out across the nation so we could easily identify the rest and deal with them accordingly?

Or we could just stop electing them in the first place :wink:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

Maybe that is why the ban is indefinite and not lifetime. Possibly it's down to the offender to instigate and prove to the club that they have changed ?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Please don't come near our club again

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

It's an interesting and valid point.

On another forum I frequent, and nothing to do with football, one chap came out and posted that he used to be racist but had gone through reform with the help of his daughter and the BBC shot a brief interview with him about it, which is here:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-58330286

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
The irony of course is no doubt he cheers on Lamptey, Bissouma etc when he was attending games !

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I’ve not seen the tweet, but let’s assume it was really pretty bad (I guess it was to result in a reasonably hefty fine). How long do you think his ban should be, assuming no repeat?

Doesn’t just depend on the offence, it also depends on behavioural change, education, making amends etc etc….similar as how prison works with parole. Indefinite is a good start though - maybe he can go and take some positive actions and then put a case together for his re-admittance….

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
A quick Google search suggests he has played football to a county league standard. Wonder how long that will continue.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here