Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] But is it art ?

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Not in my opinion, no.

It is a mechanical / chemical process. There isn't any artistic skill in creating it. If it had been sculpted into a gold elephant for example, different story.

But then I don't believe sawing a cow in half or throwing dirty washing over an unmade bed is art either.

(For those that love proper art, there is a huge vase created by Grayson Perry on display in Brighton Museum. Now that is art!)

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I often throw dirty washing on an unmade bed and my wife also fails to see the artistic merit in it but then she is a Palastine.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
What a ridiculous thing. With all the shite going on, some prat buys 410lbs of gold and thinks, I know I'll make it into a block, call it art and dump it in the middle of NY.

That's £8,000,000 just to buy the gold.

I've heard of 'more money than sense' used many times but this is more 'lots of money and feck all sense'.

Do something great with that money and art, build a wonderful house for the homeless or build a soup kitchen to feed the hungry of the city the likes of which have never been seen before.

ShandyH

Jan 22, 2010
Back in London
Not in my opinion, no.

It is a mechanical / chemical process. There isn't any artistic skill in creating it. If it had been sculpted into a gold elephant for example, different story.

But then I don't believe sawing a cow in half or throwing dirty washing over an unmade bed is art either.

(For those that love proper art, there is a huge vase created by Grayson Perry on display in Brighton Museum. Now that is art!)

A chemical process wouldn't up as a cube in the park. The fact is that it has been created and presented as art should be enough. "Yeah, but I could make that" you'd probably say predictably, like someone would in some tedious, ill-informed pub conversation. Well you didn't and won't. The fact it has been made and presented as art should be enough. If you think it isn't "proper art" (whatever that is) because it doesn't have a nose, mouth and a pair of eyes and look like something which comforts your need for technical expertise in art, then bully for you.

It may not be very good art, but it is art.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
I often throw dirty washing on an unmade bed and my wife also fails to see the artistic merit in it but then she is a Palastine.

I know it's a rough part of the world but are Palestinians not allowed to appreciate art?

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I'm only interested if it contains a fire flower or invincibility star.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here