Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Cost of Living Crisis

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Today's a big day on this front. A 50%+ increase in energy bills about to be announced, which will send inflation even higher, alongside a BoE interest rate announcement that has been widely touted to be another increase.

Edit: this issue can't be tackled without mentioning the sterling work that the likes of the Citizens Advice Bureau, the Trussell Trust and other related bodies provide. The Resolution Foundation has also been a consistent presence with the research it conducts.

Last edited:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Today's a big day on this front. A 50%+ increase in energy bills about to be announced, which will send inflation even higher, alongside a BoE interest rate announcement that has been widely touted to be another increase.

Looking forward to that. I got a letter from my bank saying that because the interest rate was going up by 0.15%, my mortgage payment would change. It did: it went down by 27p

Another increase and it could go down some more :lolol:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Going to be a miserable year for household finances.
Don't worry! There's Leveling Up, Freeports, 50,000 new Doctors ( Johnson, B, PMQ's) , huge opportunities to try to find new trading partners in South America.. more people in work than ever before... The Winter Fuel Allowance.. All will be fine if you are in one of the £50 k pa jobs the government is creating. .

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Plus the 10% hike in NI for everyone, which will affect the poorest more acutely.

MJsGhost

Remembers
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Don't worry! There's Leveling Up, Freeports, 50,000 new Doctors ( Johnson, B, PMQ's), huge opportunities to try to find new trading partners in South America.. more people in work than ever before... The Winter Fuel Allowance.. All will be fine if you went to the right university and/or you or your parents support the local conservative association - you could be handed one of the £50 k pa jobs the government is creating. .

Completed for you...

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Probably bottle it and send Chris Whitty
He won't bottle it, this is Sunak's first leadership speech... He going to be clear, concise and sympathetic towards the average man in the street... " This is me.. It's the fat blonde bloke that lies not me. "

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
Had to submit my gas and electricity readings to British Gas this morning, and noticed they are offering me new tariffs, valid until the end of December 2023.

These new tariffs (£203pm) come with a bargain "extra spend per year" of £1,017, or an extra £84.77pm - think I will wait for now!

Looking forward to my Council Tax bill now, see what goodies I can expect there.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009

Edit: this issue can't be tackled without mentioning the sterling work that the likes of the Citizens Advice Bureau, the Trussell Trust and other related bodies provide. The Resolution Foundation has also been a consistent presence with the research it conducts.

Specifically in energy costs terms we are simply reaping what we have sown, up to the 90s the U.K. was not importing any energy resources for its internal energy demands.

However since then political priorities have changed and that has lead to a declining supply from the North Sea gas fields and the U.K. importing energy from France, Holland and further afield. Without any doubt there is enough gas supply in the North Sea to address the current shortfalls and challenges if we have the balls to increase supply.

https://oguk.org.uk/uks-north-sea-g...ers-against-energy-shortages-and-price-rises/

That would mean changing political priorities……

https://www.energyvoice.com/oilandgas/north-sea/351578/north-sea-production-2030/

It’s always easier to say what you against than what your for………if cheaper energy bills and energy security can come from significantly increasing gas production from the North Sea then we will need to ignore the noise from the tinkle stinking minority glueing themselves to roads.

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
Most energy companies are loaded. The price cap should stay as it is and let the companies weather the storm.

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
Had to submit my gas and electricity readings to British Gas this morning, and noticed they are offering me new tariffs, valid until the end of December 2023.

These new tariffs (£203pm) come with a bargain "extra spend per year" of £1,017, or an extra £84.77pm - think I will wait for now!

Looking forward to my Council Tax bill now, see what goodies I can expect there.

There is talk that Sunak is going to announce a one off Council Tax discount for those in property band A-C. There are area's of the country where the majority of properties are in band A-C so get ready for Boris to announce a big 'levelling up' initiative !

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Can't help but think that the constant talk of energy price increases is largely intended to divert attention from food price increases. I reckon the (like for like) cost of a food shop has gone up by close to 100% in the last year, which has far more of an effect than energy prices.

There is talk that Sunak is going to announce a one off Council Tax discount for those in property band A-C. There are area's of the country where the majority of properties are in band A-C so get ready for Boris to announce a big 'levelling up' initiative !

EkEXyKRWsAE3hu9

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Can't help but think that the constant talk of energy price increases is largely intended to divert attention from food price increases. I reckon the (like for like) cost of a food shop has gone up by close to 100% in the last year, which has far more of an effect than energy prices.

your shopping has doubled ??? mine is negliable rise, but i dont buy many brands and cycle through the offers so get the discount of the week.

there will be more focus on energy bills as the prices have gone up substantially, and all the discount deals have gone. it will be be more notable as a single bill in one lump, rather than the small increments over time from general price rises. many on normal tariffs wont see as large a jump as the headlines make out though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here