Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Another forward signing in the summer?

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
With Undav arriving for pre-season, surely the club won’t be spending any more cash on a 1st team striker?

Annoyingly, the one player I think we really need is a similar player to Welbeck who has surely done enough to get himself another one or two year deal. Welbeck should be good for at least 50% of our matches but it’s when he is injured or not playing you see the need for a player with a physical presence in the box who can score the kind of header he has buried against Leicester twice the season.

However, despite my preference for Canda’s record scorer, Cyle Larin (who’ll be on a free in the summer), I don’t think the club will be splashing out, and maybe they shouldn’t?

Our forward line will probably consist of these four (with perhaps three of them down to a year on their contracts):

Trossard
Welbeck
Maupay
Undav

But I think we need two more to supplement that group and it’s pretty obvious where they’ll be coming from. We’ll be promoting from within.

As far as another striker goes, we really need some power up front and players like Sima, Ferguson and Tolaj offer this, but their lack of experience might mean they are sent out on more loans. Andone is surely set to sign permanently for Cadiz and Connolly is slowly making his way onto Boro’s bench, he might be done in the EPL. That leaves Zeqiri, if he has a good end to the season in Germany, he could be a 1st team player (again) next season.

Strikers:

Sima
Ferguson
Tolaj
Zeqiri
Connolly
Andone

And then there is the Trossard role which Mac can happily play but I think Potter will want someone with the ability to dribble and run at pace with the ball like Tross, Mac is more playmaker. We have three excellent prospects along with Arce. They all seem to have pace, confidence and an eye for goal. Sarmiento holds the shirt at present despite his current injury, his whacking great four year deal tells you exactly what Potter thinks of him (along with his start against West Ham), but don’t rule out Mitoma making an impact. We then have young Khadra who is showing that the Championship is probably below his level somewhat as he’s really impressing at Blackburn.

Wingers/No.10s:

Khadra
Mitoma
Arce
Sarmiento

Lot’s of options to consider, but I doubt our recruitment team will be looking beyond what we’ve already got to supplement Welbz, Maups, Undav and Tross next season.

Last edited:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I'd be happy with the 3 - Undav, Welbeck and Maupay.

But Welbeck is out of contract ( perhaps we can sign him up for a year or 2 before the season ends ! ).

And Maupay will be into the last year so may even be sold.

But, as said, the least painful transfer window striker solution is the 3 above.

Last edited:

albionalbino

Nov 1, 2009
West Sussex
We won't sign a "marquee" centre forward. Newcastle will sign every number 9 available.
We'll get more players for the conveyor belt.
It takes a bit of getting use to but I wouldn't change it now.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
We won't sign a "marquee" centre forward. Newcastle will sign every number 9 available.
We'll get more players for the conveyor belt.
It takes a bit of getting use to but I wouldn't change it now.
I can already see the NSC angst when Newcastle offer Welbeck mega wages in the summer.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's taken the club 18 months to sign a striker it already owned.
I'll not be expecting another one till at least 2026.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Everytime I've seen Ferguson play he looks a menace to defenders. Wouldn't be surprised to see him play this season tbh.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
A lot depends on the plans that Potter has for his attacking line. He has seemingly reverted to a back 4 defensively and playing a formation that allows 2 creative midfielders centrally, often Trossard & MacAllister. However, many top sides in the premier league play a 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3 both with midfield shields to allow fulbacks to attack. Potter isn't necessarily one to follow the trend and has played Maupay & Welbeck both on the pitch together on multiple occasions.

We have actively sought Nunez & Gonzalez in recent transfer windows and we cannot rule out anything. Our conveyor belt of talent will also play a deciding factor so all bets are off.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
A lot depends on the plans that Potter has for his attacking line. He has seemingly reverted to a back 4 defensively and playing a formation that allows 2 creative midfielders centrally, often Trossard & MacAllister. However, many top sides in the premier league play a 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3 both with midfield shields to allow fulbacks to attack. Potter isn't necessarily one to follow the trend and has played Maupay & Welbeck both on the pitch together on multiple occasions.

We have actively sought Nunez & Gonzalez in recent transfer windows and we cannot rule out anything. Our conveyor belt of talent will also play a deciding factor so all bets are off.

Maupay and Welbeck have played together out of necessity for a goal.
Welbeck has only started - or been able to start - 9 games for the Albion.

One was definitely with Maupay, when circumstances and tactics torn Newcastle a new one, as neither played as strikers!

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
It was interesting towards the end of the recent transfer window that Trossard was suddenly mentioned as being on West Ham's radar.

What ever caused those comments, it's is likely to happen again in the summer if he continues to produce impressive performances.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Expect we'll get more of a look at Ferguson before the summer and Tolaj needs to be banging them in for Cambridge.

If those 2 are good enough then we might be ok.

I'd still like to see another come in.

Only 4 teams have scored less. Options is the name of the game

Last edited:

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Maupay and Undav will be the main two next season I reckon, supplemented by Sarmiento, Ferguson and possibly Sima (but as he hasn't really played this season, I wonder whether the club might loan him out again?). If Welbeck does get another year that will be enough.

There won't be any large sums spent this summer and in my view very little in terms of incomings given the number we have signed over the last year or so. Be nice to have a quiet summer not fretting about adding to the squad for a change.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Expect we'll get more of a look at Ferguson before the summer and Tolaj needs to be banging them in for Cambridge.

If those 2 are good enough then we might be ok.

I'd still like to see another come in.

Only 4 teams have scored less. Options is the name of the game

The juxtaposition between White and Connolly's career path suggests to me we're unlikely to see any striker fast-tracked into the Premier League side, for quite a while.

TBH I'm surprised there's such a relentless clamour, from so many posters, for it to happen.

If Ferguson went to Div 1 next season then spent the following season in the Championship, he could be starting the season after that, in the Premier League, aged 19.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Decent analysis by the OP, but a couple of points of disagreement from me:
-- I don't think it is the case that we 'surely' won't sign a striker. Our policy is not to identify a gap in the squad and then go all out to fill it, and this is even more the case with strikers. We identify a target or a shortlist of them, and we go hard for them but, if that doesn't work, we don't panic and plump for those that don't fit our criteria
-- there's a distinct possibility that one or more of Welbeck, Maupay and Trossard are not with us next season

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
TBH I'm surprised there's such a relentless clamour, from so many posters, for it to happen.

It's the sheer volume of chances we've missed from our strikers over the last 2 years.

There is a clamour as people want another option , an option that might just be tucking away a % of the easy ones we seem to somehow miss.

Maybe Undav is the man

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
I expect that getting Locadia and Andone off the wage bill provides some wriggle room in terms of salary and that an extension for Maupay will be one priority.
Wellbeck is an interesting one, no issues with the quality all the concerns are with the quantity. I suspect he will be back next season, if we fail to land our main targets.

Of the rest I am not bothered about Zeqiri and suspect that he may move on, if a reasonable offer comes in. Connolly will likely be back, if he finishes the season well he will be welcomed back, if he does nothing the offers won't come flooding in. It is very much on our interests for him to succeed. Ferguson shouldn't be rushed and I think Tolaj could do with a Championship level loan for next season. After a long lay off, I think Tolaj has had a good season or I did up until the Man Utd game, when I felt he had a stinker. He is the same age as Ulrick Ella, who hasn't exactly pulled up any trees.

I think a number of players many would class as wingers, may well be considered for a second striker role. If you have the likes of Sarmiento and Khadra providing options alongside Trossard, we may have more than enough forwards already. this is why I think we may just be in the market for incremental upgrades.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's the sheer volume of chances we've missed from our strikers over the last 2 years.

There is a clamour as people want another option , an option that might just be tucking away a % of the easy ones we seem to somehow miss.

Maybe Undav is the man

My point is crushing ANOTHER child through missed chances and expectation seems completely at odds with selling, Newport, Peterborough and The Leeds' Ben White for £50m.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here