Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Levelling Up

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
Just been watching the news where the main story on every channel is the 'levelling up' agenda after the last few years of Austerity.

I'm guessing that the Michael Gove who presented the plan wasn't the same Michael Gove who was in the Cabinet throughout the last 15 years of Austerity :bigwave:

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
Oh yes it is.

But with what they’re sayin, it’s just playing at it. I’ve been reading about post-war Germany and particularly what the German Government has spent over the last 30 years or so - and is still spending - to level the old Eastern Germany up. Trillions rather than billions, and lots of them. And it meant taxing people, which our present government won’t do!

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Our new Motto???

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Taking money from the south east. The same south east that includes East Sussex, 12 miles of dual carriage way in the whole county, the most dangerous single lane road (A21) in the UK, the main rail line only single tracked in many areas, the deprived area of Hastings, add to that southern Kent, the likes of Folkstone, Dover all run down hell holes.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Oh yes it is.

But with what they’re sayin, it’s just playing at it. I’ve been reading about post-war Germany and particularly what the German Government has spent over the last 30 years or so - and is still spending - to level the old Eastern Germany up. Trillions rather than billions, and lots of them. And it meant taxing people, which our present government won’t do!

It's amazing what Germany has been through in the last 30 years or so, where they got the money for bringing East Germany up to date and the 1.2 million refugees they have granted asylum to is beyond me ... or did they do it by having an economy that pays better wages and benefits, educates its children better, teaches them skills and values its people ? Recently I was driving around potholes and stuck in road chaos while a dual carriageway takes 3 years to build and felt grateful to live in the 5th biggest economy in the World, thank God we are not the 6th biggest economy eh ?

Scappa

Jul 5, 2017
Oh yes it is.

Oh they will, just not those who can afford it

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Praising the Government for this is a bit like watching someone smash your car up with a sledgehammer then congratulating them for putting the glass in the recycling bin.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Levelling up will come in the form of unaffordable to most, luxury apartment blocks, gentrification of areas forcing the low earners out, turning public land into gated estates and selling off school fields and farmland to developers.

It’s going to be a ****ing disaster for the average citizen and an absolute trolley dash for billionaire developers.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
It's the new Crystal Palace main stand, scaled up to the national level. innit?

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Oh yes it is.

According to the Leader of the opposition, we already have the highest tax burden for 70 years! Hopefully (inevitably), Labour will raise it, even more, when/if they get in so they can do a proper job of levelling up.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Remember all the Northern Powerhouse crap, I hope people have learnt.

Surprise, surprise no new money just new taxes....

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
According to the Leader of the opposition, we already have the highest tax burden for 70 years! Hopefully (inevitably), Labour will raise it, even more, when/if they get in so they can do a proper job of levelling up.

What a strange post. Not massively strange for you but strange in that it is muddled nonsense.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Little detail on how this will be achieved and even less detail on funding.
So basically something rushed out to get the headlines away from Partygate,
It's a white paper, so is years away from getting anything meaningful done.

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
Taking money from the south east. The same south east that includes East Sussex, 12 miles of dual carriage way in the whole county, the most dangerous single lane road (A21) in the UK, the main rail line only single tracked in many areas, the deprived area of Hastings, add to that southern Kent, the likes of Folkstone, Dover all run down hell holes.

Oi, if you’re gonna drag Kent into your tirade at least spell the name right, it’s FolkEstone... also if you’re looking for Kent hell holes try Margate, might be more up your strada!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here