Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] The Decade the Rich Won - BBC 2

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
So the Central Bank makes money out of thin air, then buys things, which raises prices and then everyone jumps in to make profit

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
So the Central Bank makes money out of thin air, then buys things, which raises prices and then everyone jumps in to make profit

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

I think you can exclude me from the everyone bit…but now I’m aware I’ll give it a go,,.do u think a tenner is enough starting capital

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Always been the way.

I know ordinary folk and businessmen who snapped up residential or commercial property just after the (hopeless) Norman Lamont caused prices crash of the early 90’s.

Now sitting on £1m’s, some multi £10m’s of wealth! Many without an Etonian accent, just working class lads from Brighton with a nose for money.

Timing, alertness, risk takers, a hunger for making money when all those around them were short term hedonistic and spenders.

This time around, there are new Covid billionaires and millionaires across the globe (not just Blighty, far from it). PPE, testing lab owners, non-medical opportunists who very quickly became facilitators for testing.

Even as a mixed economy proponent and not jealous type, this seems immoral to me.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Always been the way.

I know ordinary folk and businessmen who snapped up residential or commercial property just after the (hopeless) Norman Lamont caused prices crash of the early 90’s.

Now sitting on £1m’s, some multi £10m’s of wealth! Many without an Etonian accent, just working class lads from Brighton with a nose for money.

Timing, alertness, risk takers, a hunger for making money when all those around them were short term hedonistic and spenders.

This time around, there are new Covid billionaires and millionaires across the globe (not just Blighty, far from it). PPE, testing lab owners, non-medical opportunists who very quickly became facilitators for testing.

Even as a mixed economy proponent and not jealous type, this seems immoral to me.

Oooh those were grim days….base rate hitting 15% after being increased 3% in one afternoon, all to protect the pound against the DM in the ERM …i was working in the dept of a bank dealing with sour commercial loans…nearly drove me over the edge, an awful lot of crap lending …hardly any lessons were learnt

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Which decade is that?

In my 60 odd decades of being around, it seems like its every ****ing decade that the rich win. Yes there are those that join them and those that get fecked.

But almost every rich person seems to get richer and the rest of us just get by to one degree or another.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Which decade is that?

In my 60 odd decades of being around, it seems like its every ****ing decade that the rich win. Yes there are those that join them and those that get fecked.

But almost every rich person seems to get richer and the rest of us just get by to one degree or another.

You're 600?

Chapeau. How far can you walk without oxygen?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Oooh those were grim days….base rate hitting 15% after being increased 3% in one afternoon, all to protect the pound against the DM in the ERM …i was working in the dept of a bank dealing with sour commercial loans…nearly drove me over the edge, an awful lot of crap lending …hardly any lessons were learnt

I remember it well. Barclays set our mortgage interest at 15.75%.

Exactly …. the same cycles of over lending since.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

I was as well....carnage and chaos.

...and today Lloyds come out with the cheapest 10 year fixed rate mortgage ever

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I remember 15% mortgage rate all because Lamont and Major were obsessed with tracking the ERM.

Lamont was so happy he went home that night and sang in the bath.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
I remember 15% mortgage rate all because Lamont and Major were obsessed with tracking the ERM.

Lamont was so happy he went home that night and sang in the bath.

To be fair to Lamont he resisted being permanently drawn into the ERM as a precursor to the Maastricht treaty, which was the preference of John Major when he was chancellor and subsequently PM.

Being able to manage Sterling was always a priority for Lamont, and to some extent the debacle of the ERM crisis did justify his warnings before the U.K. joined the ERM.

A precursor possibly to the same fight between Blair and Brown.

No doubt when Brown went home after his day in Parliament when he announced he had abolished boom and bust he jumped in the banoir and belted out a full repertoire of Howard Keel’s greatest hits.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
One of the best, most insightful documentaries in recent years.

Nothing in it though to change my mind that it’s all going to end in bloody revolution.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
There will be a brief pause while we figure out which out-group, with little or no responsibility for this state of affairs, you should take out all your anger upon.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Always been the way.

The 'free market' is interesting. If it becomes widely perceived as parasitical then, now we are increasingly connected to information, and slowly learning how to distinguish between news and fake news, perhaps in 15 or 20 years, there may be a clamour for some.....regulation. Not yet, though. The American dream....levelling up....the national lottery.....the plebs are still being willingly dazzled by shiney things and the chance to own them.

Edit and by own I mean win rather than earn.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I was as well....carnage and chaos.

...and today Lloyds come out with the cheapest 10 year fixed rate mortgage ever

And I would have lost my house if it weren't for a bit of outrageous good fortune.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I moved shortly after and started life in Sussex with a 110% mortgage :facepalm:

Sub prime lending started long before I had imagined, it seems.

And yet the wankers still like to blame Brown for the crash :facepalm:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here