Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Global Warming

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
with the huge shift away from fossil fuels being touted by global media i am rather non plussed at the news freely available on the net that China (43) and Japan (22) are building over 60 coal fired power stations between them, Indian info on new cfps is currently unavailable but i would imagine it would be equal to China , so, with Egypt and the UAE also planning to build new cfps .
With the hysterical bleatings from the enviro crowd re global warming , rising sea levels etc i cant help thinking that i'm missing something.
i mean with Europe hell bent on zero emissions wtf are the rest of the world up to ...??

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Is this what you are referring to?

https://www.theguardian.com/environ...ountries-80-percent-new-coal-power-investment

If Australia is anything to got by the rest of the world are continuing to make money from coal, **** the environment.

Pretty poor show really, still Scot Morrison tells us not to be scared of coal (reassuring in the face our our impending demise)

https://www.theguardian.com/global/...-brings-a-chunk-of-coal-into-parliament-video

Pretty easy to say when you are being backed by huge companies that dig it up and sell it to . . .

. . . the Asian countries mentioned in the article.

Clive Palmer claims victory for Morrison's election win after the coal mining magnate spent 10s of millions on setting up a political party.

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...z-appears-to-have-failed-to-win-a-single-seat

Coal makes money and politicians like money.

Europe are leading the way as Australia and the rest drag the chain.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
Whatever we do in this country will not affect the so called climate change , we are too insignificant in size and influence

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Mrs T gets furious when, as she uses a litre of water to wash out the empty ketchup bottle for recycling, I raise an eyebrow. And I dare not ever again ask whether the bottle will be recycled to make parts for electric cars, or simply go to landfill somewhere, probably China.

I am all for going green but we are being conned by our governments because they are not engaging with China and India (and Brazil) over all they are doing to make our efforts ineffective. It's like making people shower before they use a swimming pool and turning a blind eye to the person taking a massive dump in the shallow end.

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
Mrs T gets furious when, as she uses a litre of water to wash out the empty ketchup bottle for recycling, I raise an eyebrow. And I dare not ever again ask whether the bottle will be recycled to make parts for electric cars, or simply go to landfill somewhere, probably China.

I am all for going green but we are being conned by our governments because they are not engaging with China and India (and Brazil) over all they are doing to make our efforts ineffective. It's like making people shower before they use a swimming pool and turning a blind eye to the person taking a massive dump in the shallow end.
China stopped taking our rubbish in 2018, they have too much of their own!
The UK's waste goes to Malaysia, Turkey, Poland and Indonesia now

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Just the usual bashing on developing countries, a favourite topic of his.
Japan is hardly a 'developing country'. But yes, these governments are putting the needs of their people over the greater collective human need to reduce emissions. In terms of coal power Britain is now, almost literally, an 'ex-smoker', and like a lot of converts is now furiously lecturing smokers on how disgusting their habit is. And the 'smokers' respond by grumbling "Well you used to smoke, so shuddup ...".

The OP does have a point though. Britain produces about, what 1% of total global emissions, so globally all the Tory-led initiatives to get to 'Net Zero' aren't worth a **** if it's just us doing it - even if we do get another Green PM like Thatcher to close down the rest of our industry and let someone else be responsible for the pollution.

That's not saying we shouldn't bother though.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
What's your point? Do you have one?

Just the usual bashing on developing countries, a favourite topic of his.

point....?? obvious

developing countries with populations 20 times that of the UK...?? have their own space programmes ..??

:lolol::lolol::lolol: ok mate...:thumbsup:

anyone calling China and Japan developing countries needs a reality check.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits

beautifully put sir :clap: add to that that while you are showering you are being harangued by a large matronly figure who is ensuring your feet , scrotum and armpits are adequately scrubbed before entering said aquatic asset.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Japan is hardly a 'developing country'. But yes, these governments are putting the needs of their people over the greater collective human need to reduce emissions. In terms of coal power Britain is now, almost literally, an 'ex-smoker', and like a lot of converts is now furiously lecturing smokers on how disgusting their habit is. And the 'smokers' respond by grumbling "Well you used to smoke, so shuddup ...".

The OP does have a point though. Britain produces about, what 1% of total global emissions, so globally all the Tory-led initiatives to get to 'Net Zero' aren't worth a **** if it's just us doing it - even if we do get another Green PM like Thatcher to close down the rest of our industry and let someone else be responsible for the pollution.

That's not saying we shouldn't bother though.

:lolol: i'd like to tell Lucas that one, see her reaction. seriously though, does highlight the best way to reduce emissions is to remove industry and commerce. who wants to accept the economic and social outcome of that though? governments are trying to say they can balance off reductions while we can maintain our standards of living, they dont have a good track record of such micro managment. we see with the gas price hikes across the world how this will go, a consequence of current policy.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
We and the of the west started the industrial revolution, no reason why we can't lead from the front with the green revolution. Its increasingly an economic opportunity....

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
This thread in summary: :ffsparr:

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
:lolol: i'd like to tell Lucas that one, see her reaction. seriously though, does highlight the best way to reduce emissions is to remove industry and commerce. who wants to accept the economic and social outcome of that though? governments are trying to say they can balance off reductions while we can maintain our standards of living, they dont have a good track record of such micro managment. we see with the gas price hikes across the world how this will go, a consequence of current policy.

I don’t think it can be balanced economically/politically speaking; in recent years the U.K. hasn't reduced its demand on gas, and nor will it any time soon, if anything, given existing infrastructure, as the demand for electricity increases so will demand for gas (gas providing 40-50% of U.K. electricity).

https://news.sky.com/story/why-the-uk-producing-half-its-electricity-from-gas-12431632

Before 2000 the U.K. managed its energy demand from its own resources, however as global gas prices started to drop gas extraction from the North Sea needed to be subsidised. As “climate change” became a political issue the U.K. started closing down rigs in North Sea, introduced renewable energy sources and started importing energy from abroad. At that point the U.K. surrendered its ability to manage its energy demands independently.

The simple truth is in the short to medium term if we want to have any chance of managing our own energy demands and reducing energy costs we will need to fire up the North Sea to pre 2000 extraction levels and that won’t do for a number of political reasons, not least the wet mattress brigade.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
013378c65da96c5e860ce56810c1fded.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
with the huge shift away from fossil fuels being touted by global media i am rather non plussed at the news freely available on the net that China (43) and Japan (22) are building over 60 coal fired power stations between them, Indian info on new cfps is currently unavailable but i would imagine it would be equal to China , so, with Egypt and the UAE also planning to build new cfps .
With the hysterical bleatings from the enviro crowd re global warming , rising sea levels etc i cant help thinking that i'm missing something.
i mean with Europe hell bent on zero emissions wtf are the rest of the world up to ...??

You should watch the recent BBC series on Dubai/UAE because that gaff’s attitude to climate change appears to be non existent.

https://www.middleeasteye.net/opinion/inside-dubai-bbc-review-what-thinking

It was fascinating viewing for multiple reasons but primarily it was evident that this multi millionaire playground with all the incumbent demand for excessive consumption and luxury meant climate change policies could not be reconciled even if they wanted. For the tinkle smelling acolytes of Greta Dubai must be climate change kryptonite, not least because quite simply nobody there gave a flying **** about living on the worlds biggest tax free golf course built by immigrants in near slavery conditions in a spot which was previously an ocean of desert?

The really strange thing given the BBC’s own perpetual referencing to climate change was that the programme was broadcast at all? Whilst I was watching it, on the other side saintly David A was on a programme where he had literally damped his Bermuda shorts at the sight of a turtle bumping its head on a Tupperware dish floating in the pacific.

How I laughed.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
We and the of the west started the industrial revolution, no reason why we can't lead from the front with the green revolution. Its increasingly an economic opportunity....

but we have been continually told that this is our last chance , the final moment to cut emissions to save the planet , seemingly India , China , Japan , Indonesia and numerous Arab states are not aware of this , is this the wests final act of penance , to live off cultured protein , quinoa meal and processed cockroach and meal worm protein whilst Asia and the Arabs are spending their cash on drop dead Russian hookers and v8 Lambourghinis , flying all over the gaff watching their newly acquired football teams wiping the floor with those adhering to ffp...?? intriguing to say the least...:rolleyes:

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I think here is still benefit from everyone trying to do their bit. As someone mentioned earlier it is important that countries take a lead on this. It is also important that as many people as possible get involved and support more environment choices, this way the technology can continue to both improve and become cheaper so that others will also get involved. The fact that others are already using technology and making changes also makes it easy for others to follow.

It is a shame that more populous counties are not jumping on board with this stuff but eventually they will do let's get everything in place for when they do.

Sent from my M2010J19CG using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here