Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] If you score an own goal from a direct free kick...

Seaview Seagull

NSC Patron
Mar 1, 2021
Yep me too. You learn something new every day. Quite a strange one. I wonder what happens if the goalkeeper touches it before it goes in. I guess it would be a goal then??

Here'sWally

Sep 27, 2021
If you score an own goal from a direct free kick...

You're ****ing stupid.

I could see it happening though.

Last minute, everyone including the keeper is up in the opposition box. Strong gust of wind. Wet pitch speeds up the ball.

Use your imagination.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I could see it happening though.

Last minute, everyone including the keeper is up in the opposition box. Strong gust of wind. Wet pitch speeds up the ball.

Use your imagination.

A handful of these may help. 4E1D52AF-1C9B-4012-A4AD-135D2C1BC594.jpeg

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I knew it was a corner. I’ve no idea why I knew it but I did. Can only assume it’s been a quiz show answer before and just stuck as it seems so ridiculous.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Like many rules dreamed up by the FA over the years it is ridiculous. I could comprehend it being a corner from an indirect free kick own goal, but seems silly not to award a goal from a direct free kick, own goal or not.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
ref.PNG

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
You can't score a goal, or an own goal from a throw in.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Law 13

Types of free kick

Direct and indirect free kicks are awarded to the opposing team of a player, substitute, substituted or sent-off player, or team official guilty of an offence.

INDIRECT FREE KICK SIGNAL

The referee indicates an indirect free kick by raising the arm above the head; this signal is maintained until the kick has been taken and the ball touches another player, goes out of play or it is clear that a goal cannot be scored directly.

An indirect free kick must be retaken if the referee fails to signal that the kick is indirect and the ball is kicked directly into the goal.

BALL ENTERS THE GOAL
if a direct free kick is kicked directly into the opponents’ goal, a goal is awarded
if an indirect free kick is kicked directly into the opponents’ goal, a goal kick is awarded
if a direct or indirect free kick is kicked directly into the team’s own goal, a corner kick is awarded
Procedure

All free kicks are taken from the place where the offence occurred, except:

indirect free kicks to the attacking team for an offence inside the opponents’ goal area are taken from the nearest point on the goal area line which runs parallel to the goal line
free kicks to the defending team in their goal area may be taken from anywhere in that area
free kicks for offences involving a player entering, re-entering or leaving the field of play without permission are taken from the position of the ball when play was stopped. However, if a player commits an offence off the field of play, play is restarted with a free kick taken on the boundary line nearest to where the offence occurred; for direct free kick offences a penalty kick is awarded if this is within the offender’s penalty area
where the Law designates another position (see Laws 3, 11, 12)

The ball:

must be stationary and the kicker must not touch the ball again until it has touched another player
is in play when it is kicked and clearly moves

Until the ball is in play all opponents must remain:

at least 9.15 m (10 yds) from the ball, unless they are on their own goal line between the goalposts
outside the penalty area for free kicks inside the opponents’ penalty area
Where three or more defending team players form a ‘wall’, all attacking team players must remain at least 1 m (1 yd) from the ‘wall’ until the ball is in play.

A free kick can be taken by lifting the ball with a foot or both feet simultaneously.

Feinting to take a free kick to confuse opponents is permitted as part of football.

If a player, while correctly taking a free kick, deliberately kicks the ball at an opponent in order to play the ball again but not in a careless or reckless manner or using excessive force, the referee allows play to continue.
Offences and sanctions

If, when a free kick is taken, an opponent is closer to the ball than the required distance, the kick is retaken unless the advantage can be applied; but if a player takes a free kick quickly and an opponent who is less than 9.15 m (10 yds) from the ball intercepts it, the referee allows play to continue. However, an opponent who deliberately prevents a free kick being taken quickly must be cautioned for delaying the restart of play.

If, when a free kick is taken, an attacking team player is less than 1 m (1 yd) from a ‘wall’ formed by three or more defending team players, an indirect free kick is awarded.

If, when a free kick is taken quickly by the defending team from inside its penalty area, any opponents are inside the penalty area because they did not have time to leave, the referee allows play to continue. If an opponent who is in the penalty area when the free kick is taken, or enters the penalty area before the ball is in play, touches or challenges for the ball before it is in play, the free kick is retaken.

If, after the ball is in play, the kicker touches the ball again before it has touched another player an indirect free kick is awarded; if the kicker commits a handball offence:

a direct free kick is awarded
a penalty kick is awarded if the offence occurred inside the kicker’s penalty area unless the kicker was the goalkeeper in which case an indirect free kick is awarded

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
You can't score an own goal direct from kick off.

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
That was one of the weird / trick questions we as parents / lads got asked at becoming a referee course - I thought I new my football got about 40% right. Some obscure rules out there

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
You can't score a goal, or an own goal from a throw in.

Funnily enough I had to look that one up after Junior Orange's match a week ago. One of his teammates decided to throw the ball back to the keeper who promptly fumbled it into his net. If he'd picked it up it would have been a direct free kick (age rule - indirect for adult game), if he'd left it it'd have been a corner... but as he did neither the goal stood (though nobody was entirely sure at the time!).

Last edited:

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.
Yep me too. You learn something new every day. Quite a strange one. I wonder what happens if the goalkeeper touches it before it goes in. I guess it would be a goal then??

Like from a throw in. Peter Enckelman did it once.

If his stud didn't touch it, it would have been a corner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18QsjFUquD8

EDIT

And another!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82EoXa5zSYY

The other amusing thing about the above is the reminder that Scottish League 2 side Queens Park's home stadium is 50,000+ Hampden Park. Proper hipster material.

Last edited:

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
Knowing the throw in rule, playing as keeper, I once let a routine unchallenged catch go, to be a smart arse, knowing a goal couldn't be scored direct from the throw.

However the ball hit a divot and bounced up, hit the cross bar and back into play - ensuing Pinball defending resulted in me getting a roasting after ball finally went to safety.

Just shows, doesn't pay to be a smart Alec!

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
As a referee explained it to me, it seemed pretty logical. A free kick penalises the opposition for an infringement of the laws. It's not much of a penalty if you then score a goal for them, is it?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here