Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] *** The Official ‘Last Day of the Window’ Jan ‘22 Special Thread ***

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
As the Geordies queue up to get a picture of BDB posing with his arm around the Angel of the North, back down south with the good guys, we’re desperately trying to keep hold of Yves Bissouma, arguably our best player/midfielder of all time. Three clubs are reported to be in hot pursuit, will he leave?

Then there is Tony’s regular round of future investments to keep a track on. Will Tony transfer Undav’s registration to us for the summer? Will we get the Paraguayan Chico Maravilla over the line?

And then, onto that long thin hole on the left of our defence that needs filling. Rodon has been named but perhaps we’ll recall one of our loaned centre backs or give the keys to the 8ft LCB locker to young Roberts.

There are also rumours that we’ll be picking up more teenagers for the academy.

And what’s more - with so many other rumours involving all EPL clubs trying to fill their dressing rooms with multi million pound superstars, there is plenty going on elsewhere.

Just 24hrs remaining………….

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I see action, but nothing spectacular.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The forgotten man. Tudor Baluta - I'd like to see something positive for him to emerge on window-slamming day. Even if not a sale or a loan, a statement of intent would be something!

And although I'm not a big fan of half season loans, maybe one of our youngsters (Leonard, Turns, Tolaj perhaps) could have one to add a little more interest to our loanee squad.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I see action, but nothing spectacular.

I see that Wout Weghorst (or Gout Work-Horse with the English translation), a 29 year old Dutch bean-pole from the Bundesliga is having a medical at Burnley.

The spectacular thing is that he has scored 15+ goals in each of the last three Bundesliga seasons, he could be better than Wood who’d been fairly average for Burnley this term.

I didn’t think Burnley had the pulling power?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I see that Wout Weghorst (or Gout Work-Horse with the English translation), a 29 year old Dutch bean-pole from the Bundesliga is having a medical at Burnley.

The spectacular thing is that he has scored 15+ goals in each of the last three Bundesliga seasons, he could be better than Wood who’d been fairly average for Burnley this term.

I didn’t think Burnley had the pulling power?

Surprised Tablecloth Toon didn't try for him. Still, they might ring Burnley tomorrow.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Fairly pragmatic. If Biss goes (and if I was a club with money I’d before for him now) we know he’ll only go for a huge fee and we’ve proved we can do just fine without him. Can’t see any other major player leaving. We don’t need to sign anyone.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Fabrice, grandson of the great Jack Hawkins, with his 1,653 twatter followers, reckons a three way fight for Biss is taking place.

C3C0ADFA-31B7-4EFA-8F11-98973FE3CBDB.png

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
16 1/2 hours to go.

To be confirmed :

Burn to Newcastle.

Undav to albion and back to USG.

Enciso to albion and out on loan.

Other possibilities :

Defender in on loan.

Băluţa to leave.

Scherpen out on loan with GK brought in ( loan ? ).

Leonard out on loan.

Roberts out on loan.

Bissouma sold for top, top money.

Stumpy Tim

And then, onto that long thin hole on the left of our defence that needs filling. Rodon has been named but perhaps we’ll recall one of our loaned centre backs or give the keys to the 8ft LCB locker to young Roberts.….

People seem to forget that Webster prefers playing on the left. I would be very surprised if we bought a new centre back with so many returning at the end of the season

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
People seem to forget that Webster prefers playing on the left. I would be very surprised if we bought a new centre back with so many returning at the end of the season
Does he though? I know he did it last season (very competantly) to accommodate Ben White, but he seems not to have played there this season when he has played. Could be that even if he prefers to play on the left, the manager prefers him on the right anyway?

Stumpy Tim

Does he though? I know he did it last season (very competantly) to accommodate Ben White, but he seems not to have played there this season when he has played. Could be that even if he prefers to play on the left, the manager prefers him on the right anyway?

He has definitely said he prefers the left, but of course you could be right that the manager prefers him on the right. Is it worth buying someone just for the remaining games this season when we have Clarke, Van Hecke and Ostigard coming back though? I don't think it's lilkely personally.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Judging by the number of posters who are reasonably content to sell our crown jewels ( White, Bissouma, Burn, Trossard and anyone else that another Premier League club fancies )...... I'm assuming that our manager Mr. Graham Potter is happy to coach promising players to be ready for market , rather than wanting to win a trophy or two....???

If this is the situation then we don't need to concern ourselves with another Premier League club poaching him as well.

On the other hand......

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Today I'm going to be in school (!) for most of the day but when I get home I want to see a shiny new striker, new contracts for several key players and BDB making a last minute call to turn down Newcastle.

He has definitely said he prefers the left, but of course you could be right that the manager prefers him on the right. Is it worth buying someone just for the remaining games this season when we have Clarke, Van Hecke and Ostigard coming back though? I don't think it's lilkely personally.

Yup indeed he said in some interview that he prefers to play on the left side... but in the best of worlds I think you want a left footed player there (though Websters left foot is really, really good for a right footed player).

If another CB is signed (dont see it happening today) it means Clarke and Östigård with all certainty has no future in the club.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

I agree. If it were to happen, Clarke would, I think, be the most likely to be recalled (he's a LCB) to allow Roberts to gain six months more experience elsewhere. Unlikely though, I think - and absolutely zero point in buying someone in.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Judging by the number of posters who are reasonably content to sell our crown jewels ( White, Bissouma, Burn, Trossard and anyone else that another Premier League club fancies )...... I'm assuming that our manager Mr. Graham Potter is happy to coach promising players to be ready for market , rather than wanting to win a trophy or two....???

If this is the situation then we don't need to concern ourselves with another Premier League club poaching him as well.

On the other hand......

Brighton will never be able to keep all the best players and GP was fully aware of that when he moved to the club. Östersund didnt get to keep their best players either, but he kept working and they improved anyway and won a cup title. Same thing goes for other talent producing clubs, like Ajax and the Portuguese ones. They cant hold on to their best players but bring forward new quality all the time. Sure, that means there are sometimes quite bad seasons in between all the good ones but thats the case regardless of how you do it.

People who think that Brighton are going to hold on to all the key players (and that all key players want to stay in Brighton) will be very disappointed because that is simply not how the football food chain works.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Comments from the BBC transfer site.

#1 Steve: We need to sign a good striker who is consistent and established. The club NEED another Glen Murray, but established quality strikers are rare and expensive. If £30m of Ben White's fee had funded a new quality striker, we would have made progress, instead of languishing with inconsistent Maupay and injury-prone Welbeck, who fail to deliver.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here