Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Fulham fan RIP

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Very sad RIP.
But there seems to be a lot of emergencies in the crowd lately, it used to be a very rare occurance, I think that there was another one yesterday in the lower leagues.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
That's really sad news and would be nice if Fulham got promoted.

As an aside is it my imagination but we seen to be having a glut of similar incidents in recent times? Never mind showing your covid pass maybe you'll need to prove your cardio vascular health!

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Very sad RIP.
But there seems to be a lot of emergencies in the crowd lately, it used to be a very rare occurance, I think that there was another one yesterday in the lower leagues.

I'm not so sure that there are more, or if it's a case of them being dealt with differently and more efficiently.

I suspect it's the latter.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Very sad RIP.
I'm sure it wasn't a rare occurrence. Given that on a full weekend fixture list there are about 750,000 people attend league football in England, and given that about 1 person in 2,5m has a heart attack in any two week period, we would expect a match to be stopped about once every three or four weeks.

The only difference is that they never used to stop the match for an unrelated emergency. I don't know why they have started doing it now. It's not as if the team treating the sick person would be any use if another person had a heart attack, or that the risk to the crowd of sitting/standing around for 40 minutes in the cold watching nothing is materially different from the risk of watching the match continue.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I'm sure it wasn't a rare occurrence. Given that on a full weekend fixture list there are about 750,000 people attend league football in England, and given that about 1 person in 2,5m has a heart attack in any two week period, we would expect a match to be stopped about once every three or four weeks.

The only difference is that they never used to stop the match for an unrelated emergency. I don't know why they have started doing it now. It's not as if the team treating the sick person would be any use if another person had a heart attack, or that the risk to the crowd of sitting/standing around for 40 minutes in the cold watching nothing is materially different from the risk of watching the match continue.

It's all about priorities l think. The coaching staff will always have easy access to a defribilator and getting prompt treatment to the stricken fan is the be all and end all.

If the game needs to be stopped whilst treatment is being carried out, then who cares?

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
It's all about priorities l think. The coaching staff will always have easy access to a defribilator and getting prompt treatment to the stricken fan is the be all and end all.

If the game needs to be stopped whilst treatment is being carried out, then who cares?

Yes, of course. But I am querying how it improves the poorly spectator's chances if the game is stopped while the club doctor is away from his seat in the stand.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Yes, of course. But I am querying how it improves the poorly spectator's chances if the game is stopped while the club doctor is away from his seat in the stand.

What’s a game of football if someone’s life is on the line?

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Very moving thread from his daughter.

[tweet]1487703288028012546[/tweet]

That is, indeed, a moving thread and I am so pleased to hear about all the people who helped in one way or another. In my view it's absolutely right to stop the match and focus on trying to save the life of the person in trouble, every time.

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
Very sad RIP.

From personal direct experience in the early 70’s, heart attacks at games weren’t a rare occurrence at all.

What evidence do you have to justify your assertion that “it used to be a very rare occurrence”?

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
From personal direct experience in the early 70’s, heart attacks at games weren’t a rare occurrence at all.

What evidence do you have to justify your assertion that “it used to be a very rare occurrence”?

Both right here I think. It does seem more prevalent these days. I think probably because games are quite rightly, being stopped, whereas in the past they wouldn't.

RIP Paul.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Very sad RIP.

it does seem to be that way

RIP Fulham fan

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It doesn't. Perhaps there's been some relatively new requirement that the doctor must be instantly available whie the ball is in play in case a player gets shot by a sniper (aka 'feels a touch')?

RIP the Fulham fan anyway - sorry it didn't work for him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here