Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cancel Culture

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Def not team shola , she was incredibly rude and self righteous to Kate G when she didn’t offer to pronounce her surname when politely asked & told her she would not let her get away with that but to pronounce it phonetically. Lots of people would have issues with the correct pronunciation of her surname . Full of herself , horrible self righteous woman .

Asking someone their name and pronouncing it correctly is just good manners. I know you're American, but still :shrug:

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
WTF are you going on about ?what are you thoughts on the topic ?

Regards
DF

It's just a few racists upsetting themselves about nothing again, hoping to validate their miserable existences, because subconsciously, they know that they are low quality human beings :shrug:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
What’s the reason for cancelling though? Is this the much called for winter break?

It was meant to be a joke. Apologies. I'll get my coat. :(

On my way out though...I think it might be some sort of winter break, yes. I haven't checked to be honest.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
As if by magic the username formerly known as Das Reich turns up on this thread like a moth drawn to a lightbulb and into the pit the thread goes. :lolol:

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Def not team shola , she was incredibly rude and self righteous to Kate G when she didn’t offer to pronounce her surname when politely asked & told her she would not let her get away with that but to pronounce it phonetically. Lots of people would have issues with the correct pronunciation of her surname . Full of herself , horrible self righteous woman .

Not really. How hard would it be for the team at GMB to ask before the interview and relay it back to her. Ben Shepard managed alright at the end of the interview. Even if she attempted it and apologies for potentially pronouncing it wrong is much better than saying I’m not going to say your name, you do it yourself.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
A wonderful thread for the angry brigade, on both sides of the debate.

Shona is right concerning consequences. I'm in my fifties, and I think society is better in its understanding now.

This isn't to say that we should lament our views of the past. Most of us have said or thought racist things, been discriminatory, homophobic, the lot. Folk are products of their time. So, in reality, no apology is called for. Just the ability to superimpose a better learning.

I said racist things when I was younger. I try not to let myself feel shame. I was a product of my time. If I was still holding those views now then that would be a cause for concern.

I can understand why folk get tetchy about the past being judged by present values. What I can't get my head round is why some think the attitudes and expressions of the past should still be allowed to linger. Why do some get upset that they can't be homophobic or use discriminatory language at a football game ? Can't the PPFs of this world cope without it ? If so, why ?

The modern age is too unforgiving though, and that is why Gbeebies becomes a safe haven for the culturally embittered. I think John Barnes is a good authority on these things. He gets it. But understanding that attitudes of the past were of their time shouldn't be used to judge character in the present is not a licence for continuation. Just an open door for contrition and progress. But for some that is not enough, their life is somehow incomplete without toxicity in expression. They'll just have to migrate to the Bear Pits of society and become deafened by their own echo.

Further reading on the concerns I do have about 'wokeism' whatever that means:

https://queensparkchronicles.wordpress.com/2020/02/05/when-to-woke-is-to-stoke/

Last edited:

Jan 30, 2008
It's just a few racists upsetting themselves about nothing again, hoping to validate their miserable existences, because subconsciously, they know that they are low quality human beings :shrug:

What's Racist about complaining about someone's identity being removed

Regards
DF

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Are you aware that Boots are removing all their men and women signs above their stock in their outlets in the country paying someone I know £100 a pop to remove them??? Absolute disgrace people having their identity removed to appease a small minority of people in this country

Why is this being allowed to continue ??

Regards
DF

Who would be in charge of forcing Boots to keep signs they don’t want ? Some kind of Sign Police ?

Regards,

NB

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Are you aware that Boots are removing all their men and women signs above their stock in their outlets in the country paying someone I know £100 a pop to remove them??? Absolute disgrace people having their identity removed to appease a small minority of people in this country

Why is this being allowed to continue ??

Regards
DF

Boots are a privately owned company and so long as it is within the law they can do as they please.

If you don't like what they have done, take your custom elsewhere. It really is that simple.

Jan 30, 2008
Boots are a privately owned company and so long as it is within the law they can do as they please.

If you don't like what they have done, take your custom elsewhere. It really is that simple.

I don't need you acting on behalf of Boots thanks

Regards
DF

Jan 30, 2008
I would think the shareholders would make the decision rather than the customers. I only shop online and couldn’t really care less about the questions.

I would suggest it had nothing to do with the share holders but more along the lines of pressure from the Woke Squad within the company I could be wrong .

Regards
DF

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here