Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Interesting Times Headline re Newcastle takeover

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
What is the effing point of just posting a link to a story behind a paywall? Do a ****ing summary so we get the gist. Or are you just a Murdoch lackey trying to drum up business for them?

Link works perfectly for me and I'm not a subscriber...

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Well this in fun a whole thread about the Newcastle takeover and zero comments on the possible outcome of the legal action on the club if any.

NSC at its best.

I fully expect this to be settled before it reaches court and see it as just an opportunity to get more money for the former in owner.

el punal

What a silly comment.

The Times isn’t worth subscribing to………..

It’s the Guardian or nothing.
What about the Daily Sport when it was around? At least the views were balanced - both from the left and the right, although I don’t think they had anything to do with politics. :drink:

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
It looks like Saudi lied about state ownership, so what will the Premier League do next?

Newcastle United: Premier League 'must re-examine' takeover after chairman described as Saudi minister - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64821422
If the EPL had done their due dilligence properly and the "fit and proper persons" test had been taken seriously, they could have found this out themselves and blocked the takeover by such a homophobic, misogynstic, corrupt and brutal regime.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
It looks like Saudi lied about state ownership, so what will the Premier League do next?

Newcastle United: Premier League 'must re-examine' takeover after chairman described as Saudi minister - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64821422

That's his job! He just owns Newcastle in his spare time. They are completely separate.

nothing GIF

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Nothing. How can they do anything, there’s nothing in any law or legislation and now it’s done, it’s done.

The premier league were scared if it was blocked they’d have run off to Spain or France to spend that money instead

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Nothing. How can they do anything, there’s nothing in any law or legislation and now it’s done, it’s done.

The premier league were scared if it was blocked they’d have run off to Spain or France to spend that money instead
Could charge him for bringing the game into disrepute and impose a 40 pt penalty to each of the next 3 seasons.

That would be nice.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I wouldn't mind betting the EPL were coerced into accepting the Saudis and in return Boris would brush the independent report under the carpet thus avoiding an independent football regulator being appointed.

If so, that worked well!!

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto

You have to remember, the Premier League is made up of 20 members, and 19 of those members did not want the Newcastle takeover to go through.

The Premier League actually tried quite hard to stop the takeover, including going to court.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
This for me is the best thing in this thread. It would be good to see you back @Bry Nylon :thumbsup:

1677791784853.png

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
You have to remember, the Premier League is made up of 20 members, and 19 of those members did not want the Newcastle takeover to go through.

The Premier League actually tried quite hard to stop the takeover, including going to court.
The clubs don’t get involved with takeovers. Richard Masters at the time signed it off.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here