Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] 3 days left in the transfer window...

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Julio Ensico probably in, and BDB probably to the Chop Squad if a decent fee can be negotiated. Other than that, nothing else.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Burn to Newcastle.

Băluţa to a Romanian side on a free.

Scherpen out on loan.

Enciso IN.

Another goalkeeper IN ( if Scherpen is loaned out ) :shrug:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Oof. Fair enough. I wonder with Fifa's new rule coming in just how many people will be raiding South America now as loans will definitely have to be carefully planned out.

If we can't get a work permit for the lad, that's not because of FIFA rules, I don't think. If it was FIFA rules, I don't think you could loan him out to Belgium or wherever either.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Used to be that I was excited about who we might sign now I’m more worried about who we might lose, can’t wait for the window to SLAM shut

I have given up on marquee signings and accept that any signings are “ones for the future”

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
While he has been great and I'd absolutely love him to stay, there are a few things that makes it make sense for Brighton: good money for a player who is a 30 year old (normally) backup and more so a bit of goodwill showing that if a good bid comes along and the player really wants to go, the club wont deny him the chance. That latter part might sound a bit "meh" but could really help Brighton in contract negotiations with players like Maupay and Mac Allister.

For almost as long as l can remember, certainly during Tony's tenure, and Dick Knight's before him, if a player is seriously unhappy at Brighton and really wants away, then the club will very rarely say no.

At the end of the day why try and keep an unhappy player? it's always going to be counter productive in the end.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
This is the first window I can remember where I would be perfectly content if the club did absolutely no business: If nobody in meant nobody out either, (including Dan Ashworth) I reckon we have had a result. Of course the striker issue will always be raised, but I think that I've come to terms with Bloom's approach to look to develop a £35M+ striker instead of trying to buy one.

Well we've already bought for £8m an 18 year Polish midfielder and it looks like we're about to confirm for something similar a 18 year old forward in Julio Enciso.
(and sold / loaned out a few players - largely u23 but also Aaron Connolly. ) And Dan Burn looks a possibility for outgoing although i don't think Newcastle are going to match our valuation.

It feels quiet but what other January windows have we spent nearly £18m !

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
.... and Biss to go to Villa? Would be a shame, but at the right price (£40m) it'd be hard to turn down.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Hopefully we can sing a 16 year old wunderkind from Patagonia for somewhere in the region of £8m.

Then the window will be perfect.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I can see its making sense for Newcastle (CB upgrade) and for Burn (financially and emotionally only, not professionally) but I'm not convinced it makes huge sense for Brighton, especially given the form he's been in recently. Unless we absolutely rinse them, of course.

To be fair, it's only BECAUSE of the form he's been in that the barcodes are interested and TB and co are in a position TO 'rinse them'. Any other time, he runs down his contract or career at the club and there's no return on investment. Thankfully CB is one position where there is an abundance of talent. Shame to see him go, but the more I think about it, the more it makes sense for all parties.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Well we've already bought for £8m an 18 year Polish midfielder and it looks like we're about to confirm for something similar a 18 year old forward in Julio Enciso.
(and sold / loaned out a few players - largely u23 but also Aaron Connolly. ) And Dan Burn looks a possibility for outgoing although i don't think Newcastle are going to match our valuation.

It feels quiet but what other January windows have we spent nearly £18m !

Its great that the performance of the first team squad has allowed Tony to prioritise on investments for the future. The nearest we got to spending this kind of money in January was when Jurgen arrived. This feels better.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
Its great that the performance of the first team squad has allowed Tony to prioritise on investments for the future. The nearest we got to spending this kind of money in January was when Jurgen arrived. This feels better.

Last January we bought in Evan Ferguson and Moises Caicedo. In 19/20 we bought Tariq Lamptey. In 18/19 we bought Alexis MacAllister.
Picking up teen prospects in January with an eye for the first team is pretty normal now.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
My heart says keep him as he is has been brilliant as a CB and has provided cover at LWB. He also looks dangerous in the opposition box .

My head says the club is 'struggling' with revenue based on that club's comments e.g. the discussion whether it was worth losing 50k for the Tottenham A Cup game. If money is tight getting £10-15m for Burn would be good business. Probably less than I had previously thought but his age and the fact that we will need to bring some of the youngsters in at some time as that is the model TB wants i.e. a self sufficient club which in effect means selling our best players.

The down side of this does man we will be less competitive in this league.

Probably means we become another but better Southampton.

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
Jul 6, 2011
Not very exciting is it, player farming whilst the first team struggle to score more than one goal a game.

I'll bite. Yes, yes it is exciting especially now that the we are starting to see these investments bearing fruit. If you would rather support a team that just tries to buy success there are a number of options out there for you but from the screams of anguish coming out of most of their entitled fan bases I very much doubt you would be any happier at most of them. Basically your options appear to be Man City, maybe Liverpool or Chelsea or pick a new sport to follow.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I think Newcastle will meet our fee sadly. Mainly because I believe Burn wants to go so we’ll make it happen (if not now, then in the summer as he enters the last year of his contract).

So ………..

3 more incomings; Enciso, Senesi the Burn replacement and a striker (U21 or senior pro with 6 months left on his contract like Larin).

3 outgoings; Enciso on loan back to his current club, Roberts to Massive and another such a Băluță leaving.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Last January we bought in Evan Ferguson and Moises Caicedo. In 19/20 we bought Tariq Lamptey. In 18/19 we bought Alexis MacAllister.
Picking up teen prospects in January with an eye for the first team is pretty normal now.

As you mentioned earlier though, he didn't spend £16m on them.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here