Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Bizarre/strange arrests that happened to you or your mates

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
I was once arrested for preparing to sacrifice a virgin.

After A levels a group of about six of us went to Aldeburgh on the Suffolk coast where a friend's parents had a holiday home. After a night on the cider we decided to visit the nearby ruined monastery, Leiston Abbey. It was very dark but there was just enough moonlight to find our way into the ruins and we decided that it would be funny to have a satanic ritual (as you do). One of the girls volunteered to be the virgin and we started noisily chanting and generally messing around and waving a small wooden cross that was in the abbey.

What we hadn't realised was that the Abbey was attached to a big farm house. Suddenly all the lights went on and we scattered and hid. After a few minutes, the lights went out and we started to creep back to the cars. At that moment two police cars came screeching down the road to see what was going on. We still might have managed to get away with a telling-off if the drunkest of our party hadn't have grabbed the cross and dived into one of the cars shouting, "****ing hell, it's the pigs. Get out of here!" Unfortunately, in his drunken state, he had picked the wrong car and was in the back of a police car.

We were all taken down to the police station and called in one by one for questioning. At first the police were very serious but as it became clearer that we weren't a threat to anyone but ourselves, they lightened up and we ended up playing snooker with them. It was all going well with each of us mumbling that we were only messing around and we were very sorry for the disturbance until the sister of the "virgin" was called in and started with, "Well, we decided that we wanted to perform a human sacrifice..."

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Working in Kuwait in the early 90s, we welcomed a new member to the team. He hadn't visited the region before, so wanted to take a few snapshots to send home.

The signs weren't good with this chap. Although he'd be in a comfy hotel, he'd actually bought a steam iron in his hand luggage. He had a few too many on the trip out (I'd sneaked up the front for a bit more room) and realised at passport control that all documents were still on the plane.

After checking in, we set out with his camera in tow. This was a couple of months prior to the GCC Summit, so security and tension was the order of the day. We took some lovely pics of several landmarks and buildings in the glorious night lighting.

Next day, it all kicks off. Police turn up at the hotel. Three of us are carted off to the local clink for a 'chat'. What were we doing photographing this building? Why were we taking interest in that building?

I couldn't, and still don't, take many things too seriously. Unaware of the doodoos were were in, I felt a bit giggly. The straw that broke the camel's back was when matey in charge was barking orders at a few minions, whilst considering our fate. I think he'd already realised there was nothing to see here, a few Brits taking souvenir snaps. Then, in a mad gesticulation borne by apparent frustration, the windmill of his arms propelled 2 coffees from his desk all over important documents and his police fatigues. THAT was when I truly lost it.

Tears. Stomach ache. Nose running. Punching the chair.

A few calls to important people, document checking and verification and we were off on our merry way.

Lovely city.

Brighthelmstone

Nov 9, 2011
Burgess Hill
Many Many years ago a group of us had been drinking in Horatio's on the pier around Christmas time. As we drunkenly staggered off the pier, one of the group (egged on by the rest of us) thought the giant xmas tree that they put at the entrance to the pier would look great in their mums house... after 15 mins of trying to move the thing the security guards, still wetting themselves laughing from watching on CCTV came out and advised said friend that maybe it wasn't a good idea. Being pig headed he carried on and by the time the police arrived it had become more a matter of pride for him. A night in the cells (to sober up) and a 5 year ban from the pier followed.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Well, I was arrested by the KGB once. I was in Moscow and accused of robbing a Soviet citizen (the KGB got involved whenever a westerner was arrested). I was taken to underground interview room and waited and waited. Eventually the victim turned up, said it wasn't me and they let me go - had to find my own way back.

That was a bit hairy, my only other brush with the law was hilarious. I was at Earl's Court station when the last tube broke down and we had to find our way home. I was walking southwards as it was on the way back to Balham (where I lived at the time). There was a bloke just behind me, so I stopped and asked if he knew where the nearest minicab office was. He immediately pulled out his warrant card and said that he'd been following me because of my suspicious behaviour. I asked what behaviour and pointed out that I didn't know the area and wanted a cab home. He replied, in words I'll never forget, "Don't give me that, you're a practising homosexual and you're looking for action." I burst out laughing and told him that he couldn't be further from the truth and he said "Don't lie to me, we're trained to recognise obvious homosexuals".

He then said that he'd arrest me if I didn't leave the area and I said that's what I was trying to do. We walked for a couple of minutes and then saw a cab place. There was a massive crowd of people and the bloke at the desk said "At least an hour's wait". The cop whipped out his card, pointed at me and said "He's in the next cab". It turned up a few minutes later and I jumped a queue of about 30 people and got home quickly ... so it was a bit of a result. But what a prune.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
I'm a good boy but I was walking home late at night after a night out and those that will remember the old Labour club in lewes Road had a Spastics Society mannequin outside that you put loose change in.

And before some goodytwoknobs says ooh I'm offended you can't say spastic well that's what it was back then.

So half way along I found the mannequin ( a little girl from memory) picked it up and started walking back to the labour club with it, yup a plod car pulled up and lobbed me in the back didn't believe I was just taking it back, spent the night in the cells, lovely experience, they let me go when my furious dad turned up demanding my release as he was on the committee at the time and his little angel would get a hiding if he'd of done that.

They let me go mainly because I didn't have any loose change in my pockets and not because my Dad was on the committee I suspect :lolol:

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Not to me, but a fellow Albion geezer from Lancing, now resident in the Channel Islands, was at the 82 World Cup group games in Spain.... as was typical of that era, carnage was abound, 50k England fans, 30k of them without tickets all creating merry hell around San Sebastien, Bilbao and Santander.....on this occasion, said Albion fan was sitting at a kerbside bar enjoying a beer with the gang, taking photos of the convoy of paramilitary police armoured cars patrolling and controlling the English cultural ambassadors in the town,.... all of a sudden an armoured car screeched to a halt adjacent said Albion fan, the rear doors flew open, two burly spanish coppers piled out and proceeded to beat him with clubs, then smashed his camera, then saddled up and just carried on their patrol without a by or leave.... odd behaviour.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Well, I was arrested by the KGB once. I was in Moscow and accused of robbing a Soviet citizen (the KGB got involved whenever a westerner was arrested). I was taken to underground interview room and waited and waited. Eventually the victim turned up, said it wasn't me and they let me go - had to find my own way back.

That was a bit hairy, my only other brush with the law was hilarious. I was at Earl's Court station when the last tube broke down and we had to find our way home. I was walking southwards as it was on the way back to Balham (where I lived at the time). There was a bloke just behind me, so I stopped and asked if he knew where the nearest minicab office was. He immediately pulled out his warrant card and said that he'd been following me because of my suspicious behaviour. I asked what behaviour and pointed out that I didn't know the area and wanted a cab home. He replied, in words I'll never forget, "Don't give me that, you're a practising homosexual and you're looking for action." I burst out laughing and told him that he couldn't be further from the truth and he said "Don't lie to me, we're trained to recognise obvious homosexuals".

He then said that he'd arrest me if I didn't leave the area and I said that's what I was trying to do. We walked for a couple of minutes and then saw a cab place. There was a massive crowd of people and the bloke at the desk said "At least an hour's wait". The cop whipped out his card, pointed at me and said "He's in the next cab". It turned up a few minutes later and I jumped a queue of about 30 people and got home quickly ... so it was a bit of a result. But what a prune.

Obviously, you were wearing an Albion scarf.
“Does your boyfriend know you’re here”

Peacehaven Wild Kids

Jan 16, 2022
The Avenue then Maloncho
Thinking about it, I’ve only been arrested four times, once at Fulham away (mid 80s) and the other three times were all in France!

(None were for anything serious I have to add, however it’s safe to say there was a drink involved!)

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017
Friends let off a smoke bomb in Pangs in about 1981 (pinched from Fyffes Bananas also in Newhaven, used to smoke out tropical spiders).

No fire whatsover, but got done for arson.

The old banana boats

I know a few lads in the building that used to go down the docks during a cold snap for work

Pangs was always entertaining, remember a mate finding a dead wasp in his food

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The old banana boats

I know a few lads in the building that used to go down the docks during a cold snap for work

Pangs was always entertaining, remember a mate finding a dead wasp in his food

Older friends had spells working at the docks.

We were spoilt with huge (raw) fillet steaks shipped from Argentina, that had done a walkies at the docks.

Pangs suffered from the old jokes from pissheads, now known as racist.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Easter Monday 1989, led some community singing on the journey from East Croydon to Selhurst Station, including that old standard from Mr Paul Gadd, “Come on, come on” (this was obviously prior to him taking his computer to PC world). As we alighted the train, two transport coppers nabbed both Pete and myself, and took our names and addresses.

Stupidly and naively we didn’t lie and gave our correct details thinking nothing of it, until August that was when a summons arrived at Chez Hart on a public order offence.

Pleaded guilty by letter, and clearly different times as the Albion never picked it up so we didn’t get banned.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Working in Kuwait in the early 90s, we welcomed a new member to the team. He hadn't visited the region before, so wanted to take a few snapshots to send home.

The signs weren't good with this chap. Although he'd be in a comfy hotel, he'd actually bought a steam iron in his hand luggage. He had a few too many on the trip out (I'd sneaked up the front for a bit more room) and realised at passport control that all documents were still on the plane.

After checking in, we set out with his camera in tow. This was a couple of months prior to the GCC Summit, so security and tension was the order of the day. We took some lovely pics of several landmarks and buildings in the glorious night lighting.

Next day, it all kicks off. Police turn up at the hotel. Three of us are carted off to the local clink for a 'chat'. What were we doing photographing this building? Why were we taking interest in that building?

I couldn't, and still don't, take many things too seriously. Unaware of the doodoos were were in, I felt a bit giggly. The straw that broke the camel's back was when matey in charge was barking orders at a few minions, whilst considering our fate. I think he'd already realised there was nothing to see here, a few Brits taking souvenir snaps. Then, in a mad gesticulation borne by apparent frustration, the windmill of his arms propelled 2 coffees from his desk all over important documents and his police fatigues. THAT was when I truly lost it.

Tears. Stomach ache. Nose running. Punching the chair.

A few calls to important people, document checking and verification and we were off on our merry way.

Lovely city.

Cruelty against the national animal of Kuwait.

No wonder he had the hump.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
I got arrested in Pittsburgh once on suspicion of industrial espionage.

I'd previously noticed how striking the smoke billowing from the chimneys of the steel mills looked against the night sky so I decided to photograph them one night.

I was wandering around the industrial area with my camera and tripod snapping away when a patrol car pulled up. The officer told me I shouldn"t be doing what I was doing, so I light heartedly responded "why, do you think I"m some sort of industrial spy?" He responded sternly, "yes, I do".

I was taken down the local police station and they called my American brother in law at about two in the morning to verify who i was. Fortunately because it was in a small township just outside of Pittsburgh he knew my brother in law and i was soon released without charge.

I had similar brushes with the law because of my camera and the suspicions it arose in East Berlin and Nicosia, Cyprus but I wasn't detained in either of those instances, just questioned on the street having been informed that they had been observing me for some time. The Cypriot police wanted to confiscate my film to examine it. I was protesting my innocence because I didn't want to lose my film. Then a local shop keeper came up and spoke on my behalf and the police eventually let me go together with my camera film.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here